RIP Nita Larronde of the Toaster House

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

RIP Nita Larronde of the Toaster House

Post by woodsmith »

The Continental Divide Trail Coalition had announced the sad death of Nita, owner of the famous Toaster House in Pie Town, New Mexico. Known to anyone who has hiked or pedalled along the Great Divide, she was a wonderful woman. The world needs more people like her.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CniHfxqDv63 ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Pirahna

Re: RIP Nita Larronde of the Toaster House

Post by Pirahna »

I never stayed there. When I got to Pie Town I turned left and rode into town, everything was closed. There was a bloke staying on the campground, I got chatting to him and camped for the night, the Toaster House was on the way out of town next morning.
jameso

Post by jameso »

:|
I lost 2hrs of race time there : ) Clay and Megan were the responsible adults on site at the time. There was a birthday party happening, I had a pizza and ice cream and made a donation to the funds, had a beer from the birthday boy and left a while after before my race effort became compromised by the passive effects of the greenery going around :grin:
The world does need more people who create community spaces like that. I wasn't aware of it before I got there. The pie shop was shut and someone suggested I go to the Toaster House for a meal. Amazing place.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I too spent quite a lot of time there. Stopped for a beer, a burrito, another beer, another burrito and some coffee. Wonderful woman. Her stories could have filled volumes.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I only met her relative, Jefferson. He was super nice bloke. Lots of bits of food in the cupboards with eat by dates well in the past, but it was a useful stop.

There was a plaque on the wall outside to a fella who'd died on the 1st or 2nd ever RAAM or similar back in 2002. I did wonder if he was the son of the Toaster House owner..

You're right, we need more people who throw their homes open to all.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

We spent a night there. A lovely place. Glad to hear that it will remain open.