New bothy for Scotland.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

New bothy for Scotland.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Taken from 'The corrugated iron appreciation society' ... yes really.

New bothy for walkers opens deep in the Cairngorms.
A new bothy has opened for walkers deep in the Cairngorms after voluteers spent two years renovating the derelict shieling.
Ruighe Ealasaid, or The Red House, sits in the south of the mountain range on the Mar Lodge Estate, with the building owned by National Trust for Scotland.
The Mountain Bothies Association, which carried out the work and manages the maintenance of bothies in its network, said the shelter was in a “prime location” for hillwalkers bagging two nearby Munros.
It is also in an important position for those following one of several long distance routes through the mountains, MBA chairman Simon Birch said.
Mr Birch said the bothy could be found in a remote area of the range, which was often hit by poor weather, with volunteers working on the project coming to the aid of walkers on occasion.
He added: “I want to thank the volunteers who have made this project. They have transformed a former shieling which had become derelict and in a dangerous condition into a wind and watertight bothy complete with adjacent toilet facilities.
"It will be a valuable resource for walkers visiting this remote area, one where poor weather regularly occurs, best instanced by the fact that over the two years of work parties, these volunteers have come to the aid of a number of walkers who have found themselves in difficulties.
"We are extremely grateful to the owners of the building, the National Trust for Scotland Mar Lodge Estate, for allowing us to undertake the project and for the considerable practical assistance that they provided.”

May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Re: New bothy for Scotland.

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

:YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:

You can support the Mountain Bothies Association by becoming a member here:

https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/join/

You don't have to be a member to use the bothies they look after. However, I think after you've sheltered in one during rubbish weather or enjoyed an evening in front of the "bothy TV", anyone but the coldest-hearted would struggle not to agree they do some good work and provide an invaluable resource.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Its even got a long drop loo
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Handily placed for the Cairngorms Loop, just before the Geldie-Feshie watershed, which isn't a place you want to be caught out.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
A friend of mine mentioned this - there was a TV programme about it (I think??)
Hopefully, with the NTS being in the area fairly regularly it will be avoided by the bawbags as it's fairly accessible.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Previously...

ImageP1050871 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:27 pm Previously...

ImageP1050871 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Ah, I know where that is! :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I reckon that is going to be very popular given its location.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Mike, Javi and me stayed at the bothy last year while the chaps were still working on it and they have made a grand job of it.
The long drop toilets are in a separate block and we were treated to a behind the scenes tour of the ingenious bagging system by the guy who designed it, who knew so much thought could go into a long drop !
I wish I had taken a picture!
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Great to see a newly restored bothy in such a great location.

A group of my climbing buddies and I bivvied in it about 25 or so years ago when we did the Tilt, Geldie/Feshie, Tromie loop (on bike). It was more or less OK (iirc) then apart from the absence of door and windows. Next night was at Milehouse which was positively luxurious in comparison, and also allowed a much needed visit to the pub. I was quite sad a few years back to see how ruinous it had become, always hoped the MBA would get to fix it up.

BTW The bike that I did that trip on, (Univega Alpina 504) is still in use today though the only original parts are headset and BB. It was the one of the original "Gradventourer's" (With thanks to Colin for coining the term)
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Not this bothy, but nearby.......
Anyone noticed that on the 1:25k OS, Bob Scott's is marked on the wrong side of the river/burn?
samwise

Post by samwise »

boxelder wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:18 pm Not this bothy, but nearby.......
Anyone noticed that on the 1:25k OS, Bob Scott's is marked on the wrong side of the river/burn?
Yeah I spotted this a couple of years go! I did report to OS but got no response. :geek:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Maybe one of their deliberate mistakes, so they can spot when people have been copying their maps?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think that's the old one that Rik (of 'riks bike shed' in Drumlanrig castle mtb trails) burned to the ground. NTS shifted it to be less accessible from the big track, particularly after one of their contractors destroyed the bridge with a 15T excavator.