South Lakes Spring Break, 25-26th March 2023

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

South Lakes Spring Break, 25-26th March 2023

Post by boxelder »

After last year's North Lakes weekend ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21354&hilit=spring+break ), I figured there might be a few folk fancying a weekend's pedalling in South Lakes (south of Ambleside).

Start would be Burneside/Staveley so that it's rail accessible (I know, I know..... :???: ......).
Rideable on any off road capable bike, but XC MTB probably best. 80-125Km with a bivvy/camp somewhere. Routes plotted to allow folk to meet up at resupply/refreshment stops.
I'd only provide start details and GPXs, but happy to ride the 96Km route option as a group (but may add bits on/miss bits out depending on pace/weather/refreshment status).
I'll not be booking dinner/campsites/parking etc, but happy to advise if anyone wants that security.
No entry fees or firm commitment necessary. I'll post a link to the routes here in late February and you can add your name if you're joining in.
All the best for 2023 everyone :-bd
Last edited by boxelder on Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Re: South Lakes Spring Break, 25-26th March 2023

Post by Lazarus »

Shoulder is fine and delighted to be able to do this for the first time
Thanks for organising it again and dont forget to book the weather , same as last year please :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

In the calendar :-bd
Thanks for organising again Andy.
I'll not be booking dinner
Did you learn nothing from last year? :lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Did you learn nothing from last year? :lol:
Yes, I've learned to make it clear from the outset that I'm not booking, promising or organising anything........ :grin:
I've resisted buying new waterproofs in all the recent sales, so rain is a nailed on certainty.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Good thinking :cool:
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Could be interested Please keep updated and may need parking recommendations, not bothered about the dinner option!
Hopefully see you then.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Sounds interesting... I'll check the calendar.

Another one...Have I not learnt anything from last year?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

OK, I said late February, so a couple of days late, but in this shared folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing you should be able to access:
* A map showing the proposed 96Km route - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e8e0Xc ... sp=sharing
* A GPX of the route (plotted rather than ridden, as I've had a few things stop me pre-riding so far
* Two extra GPXs giving a couple of extensions - both around 20Km - one south to Cartmel, one north to Langdale.

Starting in Staveley, the route follows back roads and old byways/bridleways to the south end of Lake Windermere. From Newby Bridge, bridleways and cycleway to the coast (and chippy) at Greenodd. Back roads along the River Crake to Lowick and up across the singletrack over Woodland Fell to Torver (shop and pubs). Gentle cycleway along the west shore of Coniston Water to Coniston. I'd probably look to bivi/camp along this stretch, giving options for dinner and breakfast. From Coniston, there's the option of an extra 20Km into Great Langdale, or via the mixed trails and roads through Outgate to the west shore of Windermere. Cruise south down the shore to the ferry to Bowness. From Windermere, more back roads and old byways back to Staveley.

Whilst the aim is a social pace, It would be great to get at least a couple of groups. Some will be keen to add the extra 40-50Km, whereas others may use the shortcuts shown.

I can give ideas for parking, campsites, places to eat etc, but there'll be nothing booked - it's self sufficiency...........

If you fancy, post up intentions here, or you can PM me. Staveley is accessible by train.
With snow forecast here next week, the old saying about March coming "In like a lion and out like a lamb" means that that weekend is sure to be the right sort of spring weather :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Thanks for organising and all links worked for me

Still going and ambitiously going for all of it but more interested in the Cartmel bit [ as that is new to me] than Langdales which I know if push comes to shove - may even take Ambleside Jenkins crag [ Garburn possibly] to get back *
OK for parking that way so know Staveley pretty well anyway

Anyone needs a lift up from Manchester/Preston way let me know so we can share costs or at least reduce C02 footprint - happy to drive and have a tow bar rack so can take 2 others and bikes

* always worried abut getting to ferry and finding out its cancelled
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

may even take Ambleside Jenkins crag [ Garburn possibly] to get back *
Yeah, a 'Jennride' finish from Ambleside is another option
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm definitely up for this (indeed last night I turned down and invitation to spend the day in York doing a tour of good pubs each with a different imperial stout on the Saturday, which should be a sign of my commitment) and I'm pretty certain Morne is too.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:22 am I'm definitely up for this (indeed last night I turned down and invitation to spend the day in York doing a tour of good pubs each with a different imperial stout on the Saturday, which should be a sign of my commitment) and I'm pretty certain Morne is too.
Sure we can find a few stouts on this route #nopromises
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I wish I could join you I, really enjoyed enjoyed it even though in experience & fitness let me down (oh a a bit of forgetfulness as well)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

boxelder wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:38 am Sure we can find a few stouts on this route #nopromises
I'll try and come prepared for the worst :wink:

Sorry you can't join us this time Dan.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Haven't looked at the route or details yet but I'm planning to be there :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Could well be up for that. The Cartmel extension goes past my brother's farm!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

so he will be ready with the brews and cake then :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

He might but you might not want to accept! :lol:

Just looking at the Cartmel loop, it might be better to head over the top of Hampsfell to drop down by Longlands house - that road between Grange and Cartmel isn't particularly nice as it's fast traffic along a hedge lined road but it is almost all downhill so would be over fairly quickly.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

whitestone wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:38 pm He might but you might not want to accept! :lol:

Just looking at the Cartmel loop, it might be better to head over the top of Hampsfell to drop down by Longlands house - that road between Grange and Cartmel isn't particularly nice as it's fast traffic along a hedge lined road but it is almost all downhill so would be over fairly quickly.
Cheers Bob, will review. Aiming to have a pedal out at the end of next week, snow showers permitting.....

EDIT - I see your point, but the route as is gives decent views over Morecambe Bay and the road section is over in a couple of minutes, as you say. I've found that BW alternative to be soft going in the past.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

OK, so this is creeping up quickly. Winter appears to be shuffling off into the distance and the forecast (this far out) isn't bad. Clocks spring forward, so an hour less to endure in the bivi :-bd
I rode the loop as far as Greenodd last Thursday, just as the snow arrived, and ground conditions were good. I had 'a moment' arriving at the ferry in the sleet onslaught to see the 'Ferry Closed' sign illuminated, but that was only for cars, due to road works on the east side. It still ran, with just two walkers and three bikes and the staff seemed pretty happy with the situation.
I'll be in Wilf's Cafe at 9.30am on Saturday 25th (on the outside tables, unless it's persisting down), ready for pedalling away at 10am. Loose plan would be lunch in Greenodd, and dinner/tea in Torver/Coniston, with a kip nearby. Lots of options for Sunday breakfast and a whole variety of riding back to Staveley.

Trains - From Kendal, about every hour, up until 10pm Friday and from 6am Sat (15 min journey.

Parking - AFAIK there are no restrictions at a weekend in Staveley Mill Yard (Wilfs/Wheelbase etc). I'm sure stealth van sleeping is possible there in March too.
Alternatively:
a) Windermere Rd in Staveley (SD467983) - opposite English Hardwood Design.
b) Barley Bridge car park, Kentmere Rd (SD469988).
c) Or a few minutes out of 'town' - Ashes Lane (a section of the old road which is sort of one way, as you can't exit the east end of it). It's on the access road to the Windermere Camping and Caravan club site (SD488961) https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3580948 ... 384!8i8192

If anyone fancies meeting for a pint at the Hawkshead Brewery on the Friday evening, let me know as I'll probably be fly van camping nearby and my arm is readily twisted on such matters.....
If you've posted that you're coming and life has got in the way, let me know. If you've not committed yet and fancy it, it's decision time. PM me if preferred. I'll be riding it regardless.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Committed to riding - the first event that went in the diary
Will be driving up Saturday as its only about an hour away
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

the first event that went in the diary
I fear 'event' may be overselling it...... :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath and myself will/should be there. Cath rode a bit of the route around Cartmel Fell in reverse yesterday before the snow melted and the rain started :roll:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I fear 'event' may be overselling it
So no badges for finishing then :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Debating whether to bring my hammock or not. If the plan is to bivy somewhere near Tarn Howes then it might be a goer.