Fancy some Bar Mitts / Pogies things?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Matt

Fancy some Bar Mitts / Pogies things?

Post by Matt »

Any recommendations before I go all Yarkshire snd buy the cheapest off ebay?

:-bd
AndreR

Re: Fancy some Bar Mitts / Pogies things?

Post by AndreR »

Cracking products and lovely people trying to run a business with a war going on. I have 2 of their bags and they are excellent. Not got the pogies as I don't do enough freezing riding.

https://7rbags.com/product/pogies/
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I bought some from Hotpog.co.uk

Not yet used as it's been mild and raining ever since :|
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you are mildly handy with a sewing machine and have some fabric lying around or old clothing you could butcher then you could make your own. Some instructions here - https://bikepacking.com/gear/make-your- ... ht-pogies/.

I've used the original Alpkit ones, OK for UK use but they struggled in proper cold due to the design which they've now fixed so can't comment on the current version. The ones I use for proper cold are the Revelate Williwaws but way over the top for UK use (and pricey) and I don't think they make them anymore since they don't show up on their website.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

How do pogies work in the rain - does that water not end up running down your arms and into the pogie?
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

rudedog wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:30 pm How do pogies work in the rain - does that water not end up running down your arms and into the pogie?
No idea on flat bars, but my drop bar ones are surprisingly dry in the rain as the top edge of the pogie seems to sit against the arm fairly snugly. A bit gets in, but it's not much and gets warm quickly
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How do pogies work in the rain - does that water not end up running down your arms and into the pogie?
You'll get some ingress but your hands will stay far drier and warmer than with gloves.

I've got 3 pairs:

Bar-mitts. These are neoprene and quite close fitting. Warm and fairly waterproof.

Alpkit. An early model which are made from X-Pac with a fleece lining. A bit lighter than the others but don't hold their shape quite as well. Plenty of room inside though and hard wearing. Perhaps better suited to milder / wetter conditions.

Hot Pogs. These are less insulated model but still plenty warm enough for UK use. Cheaper than the others but perform just as well.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:27 pm If you are mildly handy with a sewing machine and have some fabric lying around or old clothing you could butcher then you could make your own. Some instructions here - https://bikepacking.com/gear/make-your- ... ht-pogies/.
The design looks interesting, I made some like this . I think the design could simply be improve by adding a strip joining top & bottom panels. This will make a little more roomy and ease hand entry.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
benp1

Post by benp1 »

When it's wet, like really really wet, the water does end up in there but it's warm so doesn't really matter. It's just damp rather than sodden. I have the basic hot pogs so they aren't waterproof.

The main problem is forgetting to remove them when in the pub/cafe. If you leave them on the bike and they're facing up they pool with water, guess how I know :roll:

They are much nicer to ride in than really thick winter gloves, but they look ridiculous. Only used them once this winter, when it was seriously baltic/cold. Hands were toasty, feet were freezing
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

benp1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:52 pm They are much nicer to ride in than really thick winter gloves, but they look ridiculous. Only used them once this winter, when it was seriously baltic/cold. Hands were toasty, feet were freezing
I'd just like to take this opportunity to copyright the concept of "Pedal pogies"
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

belugabob wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:57 pm
benp1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:52 pm They are much nicer to ride in than really thick winter gloves, but they look ridiculous. Only used them once this winter, when it was seriously baltic/cold. Hands were toasty, feet were freezing
I'd just like to take this opportunity to copyright the concept of "Pedal pogies"
I've been giving this much thought given my chronic cold feet issues. Let me know when the kickstarter goes live :grin:
rivers

Post by rivers »

Taylor wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:04 am These'll be reet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134315371888 ... BSEALw_wcB
I've had these in the past. They're fine. They were on a bike that got knicked, so now have some Rockstar pogies and they're pretty much the same thing. Good for most UK winter weather. Keeps the hands dry and warm. I've found in really cold weather, a decent pair of winter gloves, cycling or not, keeps the hands warm and functional. I love in the Southwest however, so if you're somewhere North, you may want to opt for some pogies with a bit more insulation.
I fit mine normally in November, and keep them on until March/April time.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:10 pm
belugabob wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:57 pm
I've been giving this much thought given my chronic cold feet issues. Let me know when the kickstarter goes live :grin:
"Kickstarter" - very funny :-bd