Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blackhound

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by Blackhound »

I got my bivvy night done at the WE23 staying in Nant Rhys. No photos as I managed to forget my phone. I did see a fabulous rainbow. I effed up in Hafren forest ( partly my rushed route) and took a wrong turning. After realising my mistake I turned back down the forest and saw a fabulous rainbow which looked like it ended in Llanbrynmair.

Nice to see a few new 'Boners attempt bam this year in Josh and Splittinglip.

1/12
13 consecutive, 14 nights
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

josh wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:31 pm I've lurked for a while, but now I've registered and am posting about my first foray into BAM.
Good stuff! And welcome :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Here we go again...

At the WE 2023. Brigands Inn, Mallwyd.

That's 1/12 for 2023.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:35 pm
At the WE 2023. Brigands Inn, Mallwyd.

That's 1/12 for 2023.
That's me in the background so I may as well claim this, even if it goes no further :grin: .

2023: year of the "accidental BAM"? :smile:
May you always have tail wind.
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Winter Event and BAM for Jan 23

David and I attended the event, clutching a carefully planned on/off road route, primarily to hit a bothy.
Neither of us was particularly match fit but very excited to enter this prestigious occasion for the first time, and it was David’s first Bear Bones gathering.
Dee introduced me to Kev (Raggedstone), a BaM chap from my neck of the woods, he from East of the Malverns, me from North, with talk of a future get together for a wild camp.
Stu handed me a BaM patch, for some coins. OMG I got one, in my world as much for fighting the procrastination as for the wild camping!

Following too much faffing around setting up bike and luggage (wish I had a van again!!) David and I set off south, then right at Dolgadfan.
Into a wonderful hilly world to Tal-y-Wern, Melinbyrhedin, eventually to a large forest, spilling out on the plain leading to the foothills of Pumlumon.
Crossed Afon Hengwm at the footbridge, brief look at a remarkable refuge, the copse bounded by a stone walled enclosure, and then came the mighty Nant y Llyn. Yes it presented itself as too deep and fast for us mortal bikers.

So, following a recce which established no better crossings, we each hatched a plausible plan:

Neil removed shoes, socks, lifted leggings, and threw said shoe over the watercourse (it worked once over a stream in summer). With too much effort applied, catching my fingers on exit, my first shoe went vertical, thence nose diving to sit like a boat on the fast flowing water. Sharp scream emitted, standing in disbelief as my shoe floated like the very unsinkable Titanic. Then it disappeared. Oh how do I explain this to the many gurus on the forum! But lo it reappeared picking up pace. With little disregard for slippery stones I was in, doing my Whim Hoff impression, standing in wait, hoping I could wrestle my sodden shoe. I did, thus saving some sort of survival situation, plus oodles of unknown kudos from the aforementioned learned gurus!! Could this event gain me an early award! I did actually throw my other shoe, using total concentration for success. Ultimately both attempts bordered on a court martial offence. My left shoe was dry and the right totally sodden.

David, reluctant to follow my lead, dug several black plastic bags from the depths of his luggage. Carefully placing his boot (attached to leg) in each bag, holding both with one hand he crossed, pushing his bike. Halfway across the current overcame his defence. The outcome wet boots too!

It was raining, we needed to get on. Following the track south, full of puddles and flowing water, ch lasting seemingly forever. Eventually the track was more cycleable, but again we hit a barrier, this time a herd of road dwelling cows. Neither of us is that good in their company so some tense moments ensued before they all decided to eat grass, as we weren’t particularly amusing anymore. We were now soaked and dark fell from the sky.
Its downhill all the way to Ponterwyd.

Then to a our planned hostelry, the George Borrows Hotel .
We sat by a roaring fire drinking and eating chips. And warming up. Muchly needed.
Conversation turned to the bothy. Would it be packed, should we use the pub camping field instead?

Correct decision made, we stopped at the nearby garage for sugary stuff and took the mainly uphill 3 miles with ease. Komoot navigated us easily to Nant Syddion which appeared lifeless, nevertheless a wonderful sight even in the pitch black. Our intended destination welcomed us with rooms galore. Yet no inhabitants! A veritable five star establishment, dry and spacious. Much food and drink, then a reasonable night’s sleep, and a late rising. We enjoyed the experience.
Breakfast took up the morn drinking tea and coffee with a meagre portion of food. We discussed a route, since David’s bike suffered mysterious handling problems yesterday (loss of pressure from his tubeless tyres), and his knee was giving him gip.

Our choices: going back up top and on to Dylife, create a new route skirting round west wards or take the road via Llangurig and Llanidloes. The path of least resistance won.
We tidied indoors, signed in the Bothy book, topped up with water from the nearby stream and paid homage to the privy!

Back to the garage in Ponterwyd. David topped up his tyre pressures.
Then heading eastwards.
Blue Bell Inn, Llangurig tempted us in with their ‘coffee and cake £4’ sign. Very good too, a lovely hostelry for WRT. Been there on one of my previous WRT events.
We took the scenic lane route to Llandiloes. Now there may well be easier routes back from there as I since have discovered, but we were locked on the B4518 route home and it’s never ending hill!!

Our pace was slow, David’s bike handling worsened. He considered the mystery fault was the carbon front fork and quite clearly dangerous. We stuck close, staying at a safe but very slow pace. Our tired lighting was also struggling as dark hit us for a second day. Thankfully the downhill to Pennant signalled easy cycling hereon in.

We arrived back about 1630 and as expected were the last crew. Some 60 miles and 6000' ascent.
Dee welcomed us with toast and a lovely cake.

David and I were well pleased with a great weekend and must say thank you to Stuart and Dee for making this a must go to event happen. David is now keen and looks forward to WRT, and even the BB200.
Pros and cons to come, when I get time!

Last edited by NeilA on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

NeilA wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:58 pm
Neil removed shoes, socks, lifted leggings, and threw said shoe over the watercourse (it worked once over a stream in summer). With too much effort applied, catching my fingers on exit, my first shoe went vertical, thence nose diving to sit like a boat on the fast flowing water.
:lol: Can I just ask, why not carry the shoes over?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I had similar thoughts :lol:

Also reminded me of be throwing a packed dry bag out the tent when packing an it bouncing down the bank into the river and me thinking 'oh atleast it's in the dry bag' before seeing it floating away and me racing out the tent half naked and after it :lol:
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 am
Neil removed shoes, socks, lifted leggings, and threw said shoe over the watercourse (it worked once over a stream in summer). With too much effort applied, catching my fingers on exit, my first shoe went vertical, thence nose diving to sit like a boat on the fast flowing water.
:shock: You can sean_iow :-bd i took the path of least resistance :YMPRAY: , too big to carry and not knotting them to hang from neck, handlebars or whatever :???:
Sponsored by Alpkit
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Moder-dye wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:06 am I had similar thoughts :lol:

Also reminded me of be throwing a packed dry bag out the tent when packing an it bouncing down the bank into the river and me thinking 'oh atleast it's in the dry bag' before seeing it floating away and me racing out the tent half naked and after it :lol:
=)) :lol: :)) great story, did you recover it ?
Sponsored by Alpkit
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh I did, but i got eaten alive by midgies in the process :lol:

The reason it was thrown out the tent was the midgies were so bad I was packing a bag, opening the tent door as little as possible to chuck each bag outside and then zip it up asap to try to stop the buggers getting in.

Then the trial was trying to attach the bags to my bike with them in ears nose and mouth. Run up the hill in the breeze, get my breath clear my nose, then run back to the camp and try to strap a bag on before I had to escape back up the hill and again and repeating until I could escape at speed! Was a nightmare at the time but hilarious in retrospect.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 am
My thoughts too. I use the “my feet’ll be wet anyway, so why bother” approach and plough through. I just wear enough socks that my feet are wet, but warm (enough).

Also, well done for a good story.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

.....and threw said shoe over the watercourse (it worked once over a stream in summer). With too much effort applied, catching my fingers on exit, my first shoe went vertical, thence nose diving to sit like a boat on the fast flowing water. Sharp scream emitted, standing in disbelief as my shoe floated like the very unsinkable Titanic. Then it disappeared. Oh how do I explain this to the many gurus on the forum! But lo it reappeared picking up pace. With little disregard for slippery stones I was in, doing my Whim Hoff impression, standing in wait, hoping I could wrestle my sodden shoe. I did, thus saving some sort of survival situation, plus oodles of unknown kudos from the aforementioned learned gurus!!
Amazing and reminds me of this one time I managed to get through a stream/river without getting too wet. Massive river it was too. Very amusing and the correlation betwen the titanic :lol:
Could this event gain me an early award!
Well, it did actually. On the condition this finds you without being told of it by others (be honest :grin: ).. Then you've actually won some award winning honey from my mate Babar Ahmed [ https://babarahmad.com/ ] who (legend has it) actually learnt about its origins whilst shackled, tortured, abused and detained by (well, I really don't know what to call them).

For the record and to clarify it's legendary status - well, Babar Ahmed & Moazzam Baig are for me in his/their extreme example in how to be patient and forgiving after the most extrem circumstances - it's honey so good (and bloomin expensive) that I've never actually ever bought for my own consumption. Been compared to the top graded Manuka honey too (but I'm not sure exactly by whom) and is certainly the highest grades of antibacterial activity found in honey.

Lovely report btw Niel and hope you get through this BAM. I'm gonna try too :smile: God Willing...

I wait in anticipation at you finding/not finding this note and then also messaging me to say it tasted lovely on your crumpets (please don't do that... it's 830+ MGO :shock: ).
psling

Post by psling »

Last time I crossed the Nant y Llyn in spate was with Kev [Raggedstone] and our method was to remove shoes, socks and leggings then pull out footbed and put shoes back on before wading through (thigh deep). We won't be going that way again when the rivers are in spate!!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

psling wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:18 pm Last time I crossed the Nant y Llyn in spate was with Kev [Raggedstone] and our method was to remove shoes, socks and leggings then pull out footbed and put shoes back on before wading through (thigh deep). We won't be going that way again when the rivers are in spate!!
Thanks Peter. I was wondering how people cross a river/rocks/slipperiness without any shoes in the middle of these weathers (I wonder if the well draining bikepacking Five10 shoes with water drain holes and a inner covered in some sort of plastic and a footbed that then pops out is any good for this sprt thing). So the answer is, to just turn back around :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Great stuff Neil, that beats my wayward sock in the Strath sealga tale of a couple of years ago (I removed them and insoles to cross, only to discover on the far bank that one sock was missing and in fact floating slowly away from me in the loch)
Ooof, feeling the pressure now. Two flat tarp in the rain bivvies, epic river crossings and pubs! Better get my act together!!
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:01 pm flat tarp in the rain bivvies
Aye, anyone not tried it, after the first time you'll be hooked. Honest! Once one has got that under their belt, chuck in some thunder and lighting (beware those carbon poles folks! :smile: ) for an added experience.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

Went out for my January BAM, phew, I had been worried that my BAM mojo might have been deserting me....

Below zero throughout, no idea how low it went, but it definitely got milder as the night went on (judging by the degree of slushy/frozenness of my water bottle); when I was back home and got in the car for work at 8.30 it read -2.

Nothing special photo wise, as dark the whole time, so really just for evidence.

Just some local woods, higher up than I normally go, with a nice view over Brecon (yes, THOSE woods, the ones where, if you go in the "wrong" way, there's a sing saying private property, no right of way, but if you go in the other way, which of course I always do these days, there is no sign and it's completely open ...)

The first bit of the lane was surprisingly gloopy with just a few frozen bits to trick you into thinking it's not...probably a leftover from the recent flooding. I discovered, too late :roll: , that one of my wellies is indeed no longer waterproof, when I had to put feet down in one of several muddy puddles .... I suspect that this may have something to do with a certain greyhound using them as toys .... , however Hermione says she can neither confirm nor deny such vicious rumours :grin: .

I had remembered the tips on here for winter riding, about avoiding getting sweaty, which gave me even more of an excuse to go really slowly, and get off and walk every time I felt myself heating up too much (no way was I taking any layers off!) I really enjoyed taking my time and just being out, and the sounds of crunching snow under boots or tyres is still one of my all time favourites :cool: .

Found my spot, nice and flat, views not as amazing as earlier on, but more shelter and less noise and lights from the A40 below ... with all my many layers, I was really quite comfy, and my new Aeros pillow is as amazing as promised :-bd .

Owls were out in force most of the night, as were the stars, lovely.

I was awake around 4 am anyway, when the owls were joined by another sound... a dog barking, then others joining, then howling, increasing in pack size, volume, and, it appeared, proximity :shock: - it really sounded like the hounds of hell were being released!! A case of local knowledge sometimes being a really good thing, as I know that the local hunt kennels are just down there in the valley, and sound doesn't half carry at night! Quite what they were up to with those dogs at that time though?!?!

Bit more sleep, then coffee at six and home, this time a lovely roll down the hill on crunchy snow, and now much more frozen gloop.

ImageIMG_20230118_223809 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230119_035420 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230119_054759 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20230119_055459 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

1/12
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cool, cold even :-bd

Wellies as in you ride in Dunlop's (or whatever brand) Aren't they a little too flexible?

I'm hoping I can get my first one in soon. It'll have to be soon :lol:
First a knackered ankle stopped play, that caused a knackered back which is now settling. Atleast I have a few local places scoped for a short overnighter. Finger crossed for tomorrow night I think.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Excellent. Yeah, love the wellies! Almost tops my ride in waders during lockdown... well I needed them as I had to reach a gridref 20 yards out into a reservoir at the far end of the ride....

Glad to here that the Crimbo prezzie Aeros came up to expectations.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

Moder-dye wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:39 pm
Wellies as in you ride in Dunlop's (or whatever brand) Aren't they a little too flexible?

At least I have a few local places scoped for a short overnighter. Finger crossed for tomorrow night I think.
Ermm, when you say "ride" :oops: .....
Whatever opinion you have of me, may I suggest you take it down a couple of notches, and think "Lazy" :grin: ?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who, after a couple of seasons of BAMs, particularly the winter months, finds ever more elaborate ways of taking the path of least resistance, whilst still complying with the "rules..."

A very local one is of course a great one for that (good luck tomorrow by the way!) - so, no, I wouldn't generally recommend wellies to ride in, but when your bivvy spot is maybe a mile and a half from home, you go purposely slowly "to avoid sweating", and walk just about any significant hill (for same reason), a bit of flex in the sole is not really an issue :oops: :lol: ...

So, yeah, wellies, it's the sheer convenience and laziness for me.... pull em on, pull em off, no laces, easy! In fact, next time I'll do one better and take my daughter's rigger boots, two sizes too big and furry lined - I'll be able to take thicker socks, and still just step in, step out - won't even have to make the effort of using my hands to pull them on or off :lol: !

Same when you see me go bivvy bag only, in less than balmy summer weather .... mostly not trying to be hardcore, just plain lazy!

Oh, and last night, I couldn't even be bothered to take proper bikepacking bags, I just slung everything into a rucksack - it was fine (though bit sweaty on the back...)
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Not judging, just interested! Fur lined rigger boots sound better than wellies. Not that I can really wear either, they just don't work with my feet size/shape. Here it's icy enough my feet won't get wet; every track puddle I rode over today was frozen solid as we're the ridges of mud which made it less than comfortable.

I'm trying my new hammock tomorrow night and I'm half tempted to just use a rucksack too as it's only around 10k from home, but it'll be good for a bike packing shake down as I've not actually properly bike packed for some time now , my usual partner in crime prefers hostels etc, but I'm determined to get back to actual camping as I'm going to be pretty much solo in general and it means I can stop when I need to and I like camping. Just need to fi d a way for my body to like it again too :lol:

Anyway, Stocked up on hot chocolate and meths today :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Moder-dye wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:22 pm hot chocolate and meths :-bd
Mmm, mm, tasty :YMSICK: :grin:
verena wrote: pull em on, pull em off, no laces, easy!
Won't be a moment darling, just slipping into something more comfortable.....

My newly-favoured use of sandals is for similar reasons :smile: . Go on, you know you want to try that too :smile: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

Hot chocolate, meths and sandals, sounds like a recipe for a great night out :lol: :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

That's me loaded up for my first camp of the year and my first winter hammock camp :grin:

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Verena wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:06 pm Hot chocolate, meths and sandals, sounds like a recipe for a great night out :lol: :-bd
I recommend Minttu as an alternative to meths, especially with hot chocolate

(it would probably work as a fuel too, it's a bit lively)