Neoair users

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

Neoair users

Post by Retiredtester »

I've just bought a neoair xlite and it seems really nicely made, very easy to inflate and deflate and packs down nice and small.

Quick question for existing neoair users - do you always use the pump sack ? It seems like a bit of a ballache to use (although I guess I'll get more proficient) and it's another thing to bring/forget/lose. Given there's no down in these mats (only some Gucci tin foil) and there's no mention of using the pump sack in the instructions, how vital is it to use one rather than just blowing it up old school? Interestingly the instructions on the pump sack itself suggest blowing into it to inflate it, surely thereby adding all the moisture that using one is supposed to avoid?
woodsmith

Re: Neoair users

Post by woodsmith »

If you can be bothered to carry the punp sack its worth it. My Xlite has lots of black mould inside visible through the yellow material. Probably not detremental to the durability or R-value but when inflating it by mouth when its getting close to full there is always that bit of blowback and it does worry me a bit about what I'm inhaling.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what they said , though I use a mini pump for mine[ as the bed pump up whilst I mess about with the shelter ]
Think the pump is about 50-70 grams i forget now [ its lighter than the non thermarest pump sack i have ]
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks a lot - exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Ideally bring it, but not the end of the world if I don't :-bd
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

One of those mini electric pumps?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I never bothered with my old one but when Thermorest kindly replaced it when it suffered an aneurism the new one came with a pump sack so I've used it a few times. Takes longer than lung inflation though and thermorest do say there is no issue blowing them up with your lungs.
samwise

Post by samwise »

I usually to carry and use the pump sack and then use it for clothes storage or as a pillow.

However, just ordered one of the new Flextailgear mini pump/lantern combos. Will see how I get on with that.....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:53 pm what they said , though I use a mini pump for mine[ as the bed pump up whilst I mess about with the shelter ]
Think the pump is about 50-70 grams i forget now [ its lighter than the non thermarest pump sack i have ]
Jon, please do you have a link of this 50g contraption :smile:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Jon, please do you have a link of this 50g contraption
Short discussion here - I use the thermarest one which uses batteries they mention a USB rechargeable one

https://www.thermarest.com/ie/sleeping- ... 13227.html
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've been using the neoair battery pump for years. It's lighter, smaller packing and easier than both the pump sacks I have so it's a no brainer
Mart

Post by Mart »

I’ve not bothered with a sac pump.
Not had any issues so far, just blow
2924 miles per Gallon
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Used the pump sack on a few occasions, but after seeing John Climber and his handy little pump I purchased one and there really good inflates and deflates and doesn't weigh much either.
The older version has no light but the new one does :-bd

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275173636652 ... 101224.m-1
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Leerowe76 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:20 pm Used the pump sack on a few occasions, but after seeing John Climber and his handy little pump I purchased one and there really good inflates and deflates and doesn't weigh much either.
The older version has no light but the new one does :-bd

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275173636652 ... 101224.m-1
That looks good. Does it fit the newer neoair wing valves?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I always use my schnozzle! What a name!
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I have one of the Neoair mats that had a wide opening you blow into and then roll to seal like a dry bag. They seem to have stopped making them. Anyway, they were designed to be inflated by mouth so I have always assumed Thermorest thought that it was ok to blow them up with your lungs.

The problem I found with my old Exped mat was that it is fine to blow them up with the bag or pump when setting up but if you want to add a bit of air in the night you always end up blowing it by mouth anyway (although the top up volume is going to be small).
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I've just bought one from the Bargain Alerts ... it does seem very nice, not too rustley, I inflated it with the bag and it was fairly easy , not a faff really, and with practice ....
The little pump looks handy but fairly bulky even as small as it is it's a luxury I can't justify when the bag or lungs work fine.
Having seen the incredible amount of kit Barry Godin carries with him, I'm astounded he can ride the bike let alone ever pick it up.... multiple battery pack, drone, camera, drawing paper and pens, fairy lights etc ... I'm more a 'less is more' person I guess.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

That looks good. Does it fit the newer neoair wing valves?
[/quote]

It comes with a few different sized ends not sure about the wing valves, worth asking the question tho on Ebay before a purchase
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:14 pm I always use my schnozzle! What a name!
Schnozzle gotta love that name, in a schnizzle me schnozzle
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:lol: