Changing from 8 to 10 speed

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Changing from 8 to 10 speed

Post by petemaz »

Help please! Last year I bought a Vitus Nucleus 29er which came with a 1x8 speed groupset. I'd really like a better/easier gearing range, so have been looking at the discounted Microshift 10x speed stuff on CRC and am wondering if I'd also need to replace the stock front 'narrow wide 32t chainring' as well or should that work ok with 10speed???
Any advice most welcome 😃
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Changing from 8 to 10 speed

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ring should be fine I reckon.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I would not change the ring and am using a 9 speed front ring with 12 speed [ and have with 10 and 11 as well.

Even if you d have to change the ebay ones work well enough for me and can be had for under a tenner
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:31 pm Even if you d have to change the ebay ones work well enough for me and can be had for under a tenner
Be careful how cheap you go with eBay chainrings

Somehow they managed to machine it with the teeth at a different pitch to a chain :lol: based on the speed of the refund when I queried it I'm guessing it's not the first time they've had that issue.

How old/how many miles have you done on the old one? Is the existing chain worn? If it's getting on it would be best to change it if you're fitting a new chain and cassette.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks folks, appreciate the replies.

The existing drivetrain hasn't done many miles at all, maybe just a few hundred. I'll likely keep it as a backup or try and sell it on eBay.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Somehow they managed to machine it with the teeth at a different pitch to a chain
Thats quite bad :lol: :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's a narrow/wide and at first I thought I'd just put the chain on one tooth out but no amount of trying different positions would get it to sit down on the teeth. I then tried other chains and they were the same.

I couldn't believe they had managed to make it like that, I'm assuming it's not made by hand so every one they make must be the same :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger