Winter Event GR.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Winter Event GR.

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:02 pm I'm coughing up the worst of it now after having it since boxing day.
Can you sit in the other bar please John and we'll talk to you with sign language from the far corner of ours. Ta.
"luxurious and comfiest"...... "Winter Event"
I'm having a bit of a struggle with the juxtaposition of those two phrases :wink: . Shurely shome mistake?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

apart from 3 big climbs
Trust me, they're less painful that those you were planning :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Auntie Pauline keeps erratic hours - wholeheartedly approve of that meself tbh - but can't remember what time she flung the doors wide last year. Much as LBM is a pleasant enough place I don't fancy standing in a wet windswept carpark for any length of time. It's bad enough having to come by car in the first place.

Oh and apparently someone's planning on gatecrashing my room so I actually need to arrive fairly early to give me time to install the booby traps - you know, bucket of whitewash on top of the door ajar, that type of thing.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:19 pm
apart from 3 big climbs
Anyway John's forum name's not 'JohnDescender' so presumably ascents aren't a problem no matter what they're like :smile: .

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:02 pm Packed and ready to pick Sam up on the way to the Wynnstay for Friday evening.
Had a couple from our gang drop because this bloody cold/flu that's going around.
I'm coughing up the worst of it now after having it since boxing day.
Just getting my slow performance excuse in early.
See you either tomorrow night or Saturday.

Our is the post Covid, post cold, CBA'ed gang looking for all the easy options and I think this year, apart from 3 big climbs on Saturday this might be the easiest, most luxurious and comfiest Winter Event so far.
John... I don't wanna sound all, "you need to look after yourself" and "this and that". But I've been through a similar (but possibly quite alot worse due to various reason/circumstances). The current cough and cold people are getting, especially if you're, "coughing out the worse of it right now" isn't no light affair like that of preCV days.

Just to put the coughing and clearing into perspective, your lungs are made up of microscopic tiny hollow grapes where that 'stuff' could be coming from. There's 500 million of em - called alveoli really but that sounds too techy, so lets stick with hollow grapes - which if opened out flat would cover the surface area of a tennis court.

Just saying, you might wanna rethink and allow the strength in the body to manage and fight the 'invaders' rather than try to combat the lovely Welsh countryside... Sorry if none of this is called for and I can happily shut the mouth (mine, not anyone else's) and I probably don't know what I'm on about an overeacting :-bd

Seems like V made a smart choice (but don't they say girls are generally smarter than boys :grin: ).
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:19 pm
apart from 3 big climbs
I'm really looking forward to it.
I think it's the first route of yours that I've followed 100%
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:36 pm
Just saying, you might wanna rethink and allow the strength in the body to manage and fight the 'invaders' rather than try to combat the lovely Welsh countryside.........

Seems like V made a smart choice (but don't they say girls are generally smarter than boys :grin: ).
But if I stayed at home it would be another 3 days and 2 night suffering the Mother in Law......
Ive given her this cold... So she's even more miserable than ever....
So I'm out of here, bring on the hills l, just a little slower
redefined_cycles

:-bd well said and fair point. You sound better to me already mate. :lol: :smile:
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:21 pm Auntie Pauline keeps erratic hours - wholeheartedly approve of that meself tbh - but can't remember what time she flung the doors wide last year. Much as LBM is a pleasant enough place I don't fancy standing in a wet windswept carpark for any length of time. It's bad enough having to come by car in the first place.

Oh and apparently someone's planning on gatecrashing my room so I actually need to arrive fairly early to give me time to install the booby traps - you know, bucket of whitewash on top of the door ajar, that type of thing.
I think it was seven last time.

About the bucket of whitewash etc on top of the door, I shouldn't worry, Aunty P will have taken care of that I'm sure.... :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

ta

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I went past last night about 6.15, plenty of cars outside but no sign of life downstairs ... but it was a crappy Thursday night in Jan. :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Annoyingly I seem to have picked up this "Not COVID" thing that's going around, so I wont be joining you.

Double annoyingly as I already paid out for a B&B for tonight. :sad:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry to hear that Richard.

If anyone not coming emails me, I shall pop your goodies in the post for you.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm hearing that Dyfi bridge maybe open again. I shall find out for sure later and post up my findings.

BRIDGE OPEN ... for now.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Well, I think I've fixed the car...it fires up first touch of the button how and computer suggest it's reading the camshaft so I should be there tomorrow :-bd

I'll try and gatecrash someone's party, but if not I'll make something up and think I'll be heading Nant-Yr Arian direction or something.

See you tomorrow!
Last edited by Zippy on Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Zippy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:47 pm Well, I think I've fixed the car...it fires up first touch of the button how and computer suggest it's reading the camshaft so I should be there first thing.

I'll try and gatecrash someone's party, but if not I'll make something up and think I'll be heading Nant-Yr Arian direction or something.
Hello Zippy... I love knowing about cars (and particularly yours)... What is it that starts up at the push of a button. Is it turbo charged :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:50 pm Hello Zippy... I love knowing about cars (and particularly yours)... What is it that starts up at the push of a button. Is it turbo charged :lol:
It couldn't see one of my camshaft sensors, so it would take a while to crank and fire up..on some kind of slightly safer map as it guessed from the other camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor where the engine was. So after tracing the wiring and much fun with a multi-meter, I think I diagnosed the connector itself was dodgy (changed camshaft sensor and the vanos solenoids first mind), so crimped a new connector on, and it seems to be working now and just fires up when I press start, not after a few cranks that makes you feel a bit concerned! Not that the connectors looked bad when I de-pinned them carefully...so we'll see. But worst case it should run in some kind of safe map - it just doesn't pull quite as well.
redefined_cycles

Bloomin genius.. Hope it keeps running well and enjoy the WE (that goes for everyone). Bet you can't all wait for the soggy ground :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I think most contestants here at the Wynnstay have finally called time and headed up the wooden hill to bedfordshire. All I can remember is a game of nude Connect 4 (is that right JC?) and asking for two bottles of Fursty Ferret with a glass and receiving two bottles and, er, one glass... bit confusing and all part of the fun.

Wotsits arrived far earlier than usual, ie the same day, and good to to see Nige having made the short journey from Edinburgh, plus all the usual crew.

'Night John-Boy, 'night Mary-Ellen, etc etc etc..

And who knows, or cares, what the morrow may bring. Well, tea and toast obviously.

Verena

Post by Verena »

Ah sounds like a grand night...a few sore heads this morning?!?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Everyone away in good spirits and quite surprisingly - in sunshine, which was something the forecast hadn't. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The sunshine didn’t last and guess which pair of pillocks took the worst and least maintained bridleway in the area :wink: 1km took over an hour :o

In a cafe in Llanidloes
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:50 pm The sunshine didn’t last and guess which pair of pillocks took the worst and least maintained bridleway in the area :wink: 1km took over an hour :o

In a cafe in Llanidloes
:o

O dear....

But some good cafes in Llanidloes....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hailing here in Dinas Mawddwy! Tarptastic!

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:33 pm Hailing here in Dinas Mawddwy! Tarptastic!
That's a good one!! Hope you had a good night there!