Pole bag... with webbing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Pole bag... with webbing

Post by ootini »

I'm rejigging some of my kit and fancy mounting my tent Poles on the underside of my downtube, using those little butterfly bracket things... https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... p-anchors/
For obvious reasons, I'd like them in a bag to stop mud n poo, but would also like a strip of webbing running down the length of the bag to feed the straps through, to mitigate the risk of anything slipping loose.
A bit like this from OokWorks... https://oookworks.com/product/tent-pole-bag/
Alas, these are all out of stock. Does anyone know of anything similar ?
woodsmith

Re: Pole bag... with webbing

Post by woodsmith »

Looks like the ideal project to get you started on MYOG
ootini

Post by ootini »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:19 pm Looks like the ideal project to get you started on MYOG
I know, I did think that too ... :???:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:19 pm Looks like the ideal project to get you started on MYOG
This, assuming of course you have access to a sewing machine. Essentially it's just a tube with a ribbon of tape sewn along one side to make the fixing ladder.

Cut the material allowing about 5-8mm on each edge for the seam, also make it a bit longer so you have a lid you can fold down.
Cut the webbing and seal the cut end with a lighter
Sew the webbing onto the material using stitches across the width of the webbing at about 3cm intervals. Make sure the webbing isn't tight to the material.
Fold the material so that the webbing is on the inside.
Hem the top edge
Sew along the bottom and long side but leave a few cm at the top so you can make a lid.
Hem the remainder of both bits of the long side.
Turn inside out.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If you're making it to fit your bike you'll know exactly where the loops for the webbing to pass through need to go, so rather than a webbing ladder you can just sew 2 bits in the correct location.

Sewing webbing ladders gets old real quick :lol: There is a machine they use in commercial applications which automates the process.

Or you could make the straps that go through the anchors part of the bag?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I use a tread lite gear dcf pole bag when bikepacking with my Notch tent, but it doesn't have any loops so would need modding. I use voile straps to hold the tent and poles in place on top of my Confucious bars.

Prior to that I used a DIY ripstop bag which worked fine
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Anyoldbag and a couple of these beauties from Polaris:

https://www.adifferentgear.com/product/ ... lse&q=true

Suggestion offered in true internet fashion of barely conceding to any of the OP's requirements :roll: :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll do you one if you give me some dimensions Dave.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I made one out of some scraps of Tyvek leftover from my tent footprint and duct tape. Ditto a small peg bag.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:47 pm I'll do you one if you give me some dimensions Dave.
I appreciate that Stu. I'll do some measuring and let you know. It's for the carbon Poles you made me last year.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Maybe you could improvise with a length of old inner tube to begin with.
ootini

Post by ootini »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:59 am Maybe you could improvise with a length of old inner tube to begin with.
Now, that is a pretty good idea, and i get to avoid sending something to landfill!
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:59 am Maybe you could improvise with a length of old inner tube to begin with.
Excellent idea, sir - I may just nick it :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I realise this doesn't answer your original Q... But I assume you have a frame bag fitted, if it has straps along the top tube can you use those? Or fit along the top tube generally to avoid the clag? Depends on the section length perhaps. Add a section of inner tube to hold them together as it grips really well, plus a couple of those velcro straps that double back.
Thh I don't really need them to go under the ends of the frame bag straps as the velcro straps hold them, it just tucks them in closer.