PBP - anyone planning on entering?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

PBP - anyone planning on entering?

Post by Retiredtester »

Just realised that PBP is happening in August next year and have had a rush of enthusiasm about entering. Anyone else planning to do it?
GregMay

Re: PBP - anyone planning on entering?

Post by GregMay »

I had thought about it, but I've a few other things in the pipeline first. Enjoy, it's supposed to be fun but fast.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

A mate from work did it a couple of times and it's been on my bucket list ever since. Bit of a palaver qualifying (and no guarantees), but I'll give it a bash!
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Yes, will be my fourth one.

There's something about it that's different to almost anything else, well worth experiencing if you can be bothered with jumping through the qualifying hoops.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

I did 2019, will aim for this year to ride it with the knowledge gained from the last one subject to completing all of the qualification rides.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Sorry for the ignorance but what is PBP?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

gairym wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:20 am Sorry for the ignorance but what is PBP?
Pub, bivi, Pub?

Maybe Paris Brest Paris, an Audax event
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ah, I see.

I like the first interpretation more. :-bd
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

@dyffers and @flyingpig - do you both have qualifying rides from 2022 that will allow you to pre-register? I haven't ridden an audax since London-edinburgh-London in 2007, but am hoping there are some spaces left once registration officially opens in June. Got my first SR qualifier (a 200k) booked for the end of Feb, so fingers crossed.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Retiredtester wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:21 pm @dyffers and @flyingpig - do you both have qualifying rides from 2022 that will allow you to pre-register? I haven't ridden an audax since London-edinburgh-London in 2007, but am hoping there are some spaces left once registration officially opens in June. Got my first SR qualifier (a 200k) booked for the end of Feb, so fingers crossed.
Yes because it's been on my radar and I usually do part or all of an SR series as background noise to my other riding each year.

However, for all the chat about it selling out, lots of pre-entrants from January drop out when they fail complete the qualifiers in 2023 so IMHO if you complete an SR series in the first half of 2023 you're 99% likely to get a place.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

Retiredtester wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:21 pm @dyffers and @flyingpig - do you both have qualifying rides from 2022 that will allow you to pre-register? I haven't ridden an audax since London-edinburgh-London in 2007, but am hoping there are some spaces left once registration officially opens in June. Got my first SR qualifier (a 200k) booked for the end of Feb, so fingers crossed.
I did last time but don't have any from last year unfortunately to put towards this one. Not expecting a problem getting in though
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks both. That's very encouraging and echoes the general sentiment over on yacf
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Thanks for asking Gairy, I didn't know either.
gairym wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:36 am Ah, I see.

I like the first interpretation more. :-bd
Mix it, PBP by PBP :-bd

Then Greg's last word makes a different sense.
GregMay wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:02 am Enjoy, it's supposed to be fun but fast
:grin:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

The key difference with Paris Brest Paris to almost anything else I/we do is the crowds lining the whole 1200km route, kids wanting to high five you after two days if not washing your hands, locals in villages running free food stalls in the middle of the night, being cheered on for the hero you wish you were. :grin:

You can do a multiday ride anywhere, anytime, and arguably the PBP route isn't that great, but there is only this ride in our long distance niche that has crowds of non-cyclists lining the route. It's still perfectly possible to ride on your own for the entire ride, but being cheered up a climb or handed a coffee at 3am in the morning is something that makes me smile just remembering previous moments.

As a once every four years thing it's worth a bit of effort to get to the start line.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

Dyffers wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:45 am The key difference with Paris Brest Paris to almost anything else I/we do is the crowds lining the whole 1200km route, kids wanting to high five you after two days if not washing your hands, locals in villages running free food stalls in the middle of the night, being cheered on for the hero you wish you were. :grin:

You can do a multiday ride anywhere, anytime, and arguably the PBP route isn't that great, but there is only this ride in our long distance niche that has crowds of non-cyclists lining the route. It's still perfectly possible to ride on your own for the entire ride, but being cheered up a climb or handed a coffee at 3am in the morning is something that makes me smile just remembering previous moments.

As a once every four years thing it's worth a bit of effort to get to the start line.
Absolutely, the spirit of the locals is something to behold.

I had to sleep 15km from the Arrive last time as fell asleep on the bike riding along a village, I sat down in the sun in a gateway and nodded off for 15 mins or so.

I was awoken with a tap on the shoulder, the owner I thought wanted to open her gate so i apologised profusely, she said no, no I have coffee for you, she handed it to me, I was blown away that would never happen here (other than in Llanbrynmair obvs😊)
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I'm sold. There are a few bucket list audax rides that I'm hoping to factor into the qualification, like the Bryan Chapman 600, so qualification would really be a bonus.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Retiredtester wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:57 pm I'm sold. There are a few bucket list audax rides that I'm hoping to factor into the qualification, like the Bryan Chapman 600, so qualification would really be a bonus.
The Chapman is good but the route has changed with an organiser change a few years ago. The organiser is now running a 600 from Tewkesbury the week before the Chapman which isn't the famous ride but actually includes a lot of the classic Chapman route from when I first rode it years ago. Worth considering if the Chapman sells out.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Been meaning to ride it for years, so I'll probably stick an entry in soonish. 70 quid seems a wee bit steep, but it looks like there might be some food laid on and a place to kip etc
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I usually do part or all of an SR series as background noise to my other riding each year
I think I do plenty of riding, and a bit of audax, but I aspire to the day I can call an SR "background noise" :lol: :-bd

Have always thought PBP is probably not for me, but some of the comments on here are making me think I should do it once, just to see.
chris n

Post by chris n »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:19 pm
I usually do part or all of an SR series as background noise to my other riding each year
I think I do plenty of riding, and a bit of audax, but I aspire to the day I can call an SR "background noise" :lol: :-bd
What Dyffers hasn't told you is that he's got something like 15 SRs under his belt as well as at least 6 1200km+ audaxes of one sort or another. :-bd He's been doing this a while...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

:shock:
Still, it doesn't matter how many you've done before, they're still hard.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:19 pm Have always thought PBP is probably not for me, but some of the comments on here are making me think I should do it once, just to see.
Kinda my thinking also. I quite like long, solitary rides but it still has a strange attraction. I'll probably ride the qualifiers anyway so may as well stick my name down :|
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Pre-entry completed. I chose a 5am start with 84hr time limit.

No idea of availability of hotels/bivvy spots near the start and I've not given any thought to the traveling logistics, other than avoiding flights.

I'm still hoping for a TCR entry but this is a reasonable Plan B. A bit of travelling to/from should provide a little adventure :-bd
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I had to sleep 15km from the Arrive last time as fell asleep on the bike riding along a village, I sat down in the sun in a gateway and nodded off for 15 mins or so.

I was awoken with a tap on the shoulder, the owner I thought wanted to open her gate so i apologised profusely, she said no, no I have coffee for you, she handed it to me, I was blown away that would never happen here (other than in Llanbrynmair obvs😊)
Awww.
Grubby little urchin.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Johnallan wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:35 pm Pre-entry completed. I chose a 5am start with 84hr time limit.

No idea of availability of hotels/bivvy spots near the start and I've not given any thought to the traveling logistics, other than avoiding flights.

I'm still hoping for a TCR entry but this is a reasonable Plan B. A bit of travelling to/from should provide a little adventure :-bd
I did the 5am start in 2011 and found it a bit quiet. Planning an early-as-possible 90 hour start about 6pm the day before but I've 'only' done a 600 last year so have another week and a half to wait until I can book my spot.

Ticked off my first qualifier on Saturday in some of the worst conditions I've ever ridden a 200km audax in!
Last edited by Dyffers on Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.