Shall we talk about balaclavas aswell, shall we!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Shall we talk about balaclavas aswell, shall we!

Post by Boab »

If you feel like dumping a ton of money, you could buy one of the Assos efforts, they do two - Winter Face Mask EVO and the Ultraz Winter Face Mask. One imagines that it'd have to be particularly parky, or your pace is quite low, to warrant anything like that, though your mileage may vary, obvs.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Bob... Nah, don't feel like departing with Assos type money :-bd

Today I went out for my first winter ride as been off the bike for 4 weeks. Just as I'd thought, the little un has 'misplaced' my orange snood after using for school. The new one hasn't arrived (£12.50 Fohn) so I wa stuck. Used my wooly scarf and thankfully I did too as it was freezing. Neck/face would really have suffered...

Yes, my pace is always rather slow I suppose Bob...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I just use Inov8 wrag or snoods (seem to be the same things). Often 2 for £10 from Sportshoes.com. Not great sweat absorbers but great for just about anything else.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I've been looking for my 'misplaced' Sealskinz one for ages. After a horrible pre-Christmas ride with freezing sideways rain that hurt my sinuses, I ordered a new one.
Yesterday, as I did my yearly post-Christmas clear out of pants-with-too-many-holes-in-them I found my 'misplaced' one. Same day as I had the shipping notification for the replacement.
Typical!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My new favourite

May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I feel I may have found the ultimate face covering :-bd

May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

~redifined_cycles how about one of these? Perfect........................

https://giraffeuk.com/shop-all/nurse-nh ... -headband/
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Popping off to Google silk balaclava.

I often struggle bivvying with draughts and have thought a light weight balaclava would be just the thing.
redefined_cycles

fatbikerbill wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:40 pm Popping off to Google silk balaclava.

I often struggle bivvying with draughts and have thought a light weight balaclava would be just the thing.
Wouldn't that be very expesnive and possibly harder to breath through Phil - due to the the tight knit on silk?
Verena

Post by Verena »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:54 pm
fatbikerbill wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:40 pm Popping off to Google silk balaclava.

Wouldn't that be very expesnive and possibly harder to breath through Phil - due to the the tight knit on silk?
Mine is lovely and thin and easy to breathe through, I also struggle with draughts when bivvying, and this does help. No idea on cost, sorry, it was a present ....
redefined_cycles

Verena wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:32 pm

Mine is lovely and thin and easy to breathe through, I also struggle with draughts when bivvying, and this does help. No idea on cost, sorry, it was a present ....
Nice one. Thanks for that clarification V. The merino wool FOHN one I got is lovely and warm :smile:

NB. On a side note. As a muslim (unless in dire and special circumstances) male, we're not allowed to wear silk (and gold) and we're happy with that (before someone starts trying to teach me ethics) :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:46 pm
Verena wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:32 pm

Nice one. Thanks for that clarification V. The merino wool FOHN one I got is lovely and warm :smile:

NB. On a side note. As a muslim (unless in dire and special circumstances) male, we're not allowed to wear silk (and gold) and we're happy with that (before someone starts trying to teach me ethics) :-bd
That's really interesting Shaf, about the silk, didn't realise...
redefined_cycles

Thanks V. I think it's got something to do with feminine and masculine keeping a firm and solid line. But ultimately something that's ordained by God (whom we follow after believing in Him from the arguments He makes in the Quran etc).

For completeness of info - for example in dire necessity even eating of pork would become incumbent, to save one's life for example - a mate of mine that did the famous Italian sportive. The one which takes in the some of them scary cold mountain passes (Stelvio/Mortirolo/IdontKnow) discussed with one of the islamic scholars regards his needs/necessity to stay warm/safe and was given the go ahead to use a silk liner. Must really improve the insulation but I've never used.

Amazing what you learn bikepacking hey V.

Reminder to self - must get daughter a lovely silk scarf for eid :smile: