RAPAH500 - anyone doing it!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

RAPAH500 - anyone doing it!

Post by redefined_cycles »

I think Tony usually does these so thought it might be good to open up a thread (if anyone has any interest in the thing).

My plan is to try and do it for human rights. Particularly the abuse faced by Dr Aafia Siddiqui - graphic novel found here which is pretty accurate according to my reading ober the years https://muslimmatters.org/2013/03/28/justice-for-aafia/ - as I always need a reason to attempt summat this hard (for me).

Just coming off the back of a nasty chest infection (current smokers/vapers, be aware, the years of smoke/vape abuse don't tend to end happily) which is now on week 3. Covid probably didn't help last year but... So my plan is to kick it off with a Northpeaks100 on day 1. It's gonna be cold and I'm not too excited. But I've already raised £90 so it's well worth it. But worried about my fitness after these 3 weeks :o

Here's a tiny link if anyone wished to donate https://tinyurl.com/hs284k29 (no pressure, I know certain human rights aren't at thw top of everyones agenda and it's all good). After the 100 I'd have another 400km to go. Probably some road riding and most likely gonna have to space it out a little. Quick recoveries will be super important and the fact I've cut out sugar might not help!!

If anyone (males, for religious reasons, don't tell the BBC) wants to join me on any of these rides then I look forward to it. Don't worry, Illnot slow you down as you can just steam on ahead... Looking forward to other peoples R500 plans if there is any :-bd Karl did it last year in a one-er...
flyingpig

Re: RAPAH500 - anyone doing it!

Post by flyingpig »

Good on you raising money doing it, gives an extra impetus too.

I'm doing the full fat festive 500 Audax on 29 the 29th Bristol Cambridge and back. Gets it done in one hit which I've always found best!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I did it a few years ago and it ate into far too much of my holidays. I said if I ever do it again, it will be in one go. Doubt it'll be this year though, I'm winding down quite nicely :grin:
ton

Post by ton »

i will indeed be having another go. long ride on xmas eve, small ride early xmas day, pub ride boxing day and then going on a mini tour in the Dales for 4 days.
so hopefully i may have some success. fell short by 40 miles last year.
hopefully it will stay cold and dry, weather which i enjoy riding in.

good luckto anyone having a go.
redefined_cycles

flyingpig wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:04 pm Good on you raising money doing it, gives an extra impetus too.

I'm doing the full fat festive 500 Audax on 29 the 29th Bristol Cambridge and back. Gets it done in one hit which I've always found best!
My mate Faruq from Bristol did it like this for a few years. You lot are mental...
redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:22 pm i will indeed be having another go. long ride on xmas eve, small ride early xmas day, pub ride boxing day and then going on a mini tour in the Dales for 4 days.
so hopefully i may have some success. fell short by 40 miles last year.
hopefully it will stay cold and dry, weather which i enjoy riding in.

good luckto anyone having a go.
Not sure which day is busiest for you around xmas. But i can move plans fore/aft for the NP100 if you wanted to join Tony...
ton

Post by ton »

Not sure which day is busiest for you around xmas. But i can move plans fore/aft for the NP100 if you wanted to join Tony...
Shaf, all my rides are gonna have to start from home mate. trying to go car free. hence the Dales tour riding there from home and back.
redefined_cycles

Aha... yes, I see Tony. Hope you have a good few rides and we can compare notes at the end :-bd
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

How's this going for anyone attempting it? The weather can't be making it easy
redefined_cycles

Well, I kinda started it. But haven't fully committed. Instead I've decided to do my Justice for Dr Aafia Siddiqui rides in the form of a 100 miles on the mtb. Took the mate out on the 24th who's a newcomer to mtb and I might have made the route a bit too tough...

In order of climbs that probably did us in (but in no particular order), there was: Back Lane to the track; Dodlee Lane; the hardcore slippery round a bend climb at the bottom of Outlane Golf Courseand another 1 mile of back-track suffering... and a whole heap of other climbs that had people puzzled as to why we were trying to climb em (or as he continuously asked, is this even rideable).

33 miles later after having cut it slightly short towards the end and he sent me the message of, "Man... Toughest ride ever..
I slept for nearly 2h and still feel shattered". I was knackered too but on a lissionto ensure I earn the wife a decent wage this end of year so been doing a few shifts at work. 67 miles left so hoping to get out on a slightly less climby mtb loop I've made, but still gonna be tough. The lower back is suffering from 4 weeks of chest being knackered and not having ridden the bike at all.

That's 2 of the easier - but still properly hard - climbs on the ride. Once the 100 mtb miles are over I'm hoping to try and get a century or 2 in on the road bike. But missus and her wedding/engagements invites appear to be getting in the way. Still... There's a full 4 days left :-bd :grin:

How's yours coming along John...
redefined_cycles

Oh... and them centuries as well as the mtb miles remaining. I just can't stop thinking about the pressure sore risk since I've been off for so long. Plus, the old glass back might not be too happy! Hands were giving me lots of 'gyp' during this first ride. Them thick winter gloves obviously don't like mtb bars too much...

Strava gives a profile of the mtb ratio to road. Lots of road it appears and I imagine I'd have been very much worse had I managed to loop some extra trails in (and maybe lost a friend :grin: ).

Started at 0645 and were meant to be done by 1200... got home at around 1330 :smile:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I'm fully engaged in doing the Festive F##k All. Haven't ridden the bike in a week and can't see it happening before the New Year. More power to those of you getting out there and getting a few miles in.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Festive f### all sounds much nicer to be fair :grin:

I never really committed to it but I try to ride regularly anyway. Currently at 329km, all very wet and since the weather doesn't look like it's going to improve, I'll probably aim to complete it. It's an excuse to get out for a few hours each day and a wet ride is better than no ride :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Doing my usual own version - 500k in the time I have off at Xmas. No real push to do it, I just get out on the bike when I can and see what the end result is. Smashed it last year thanks to a century ride between Xmas and New Year but so far only showing 240k so not looking good. Hey ho, the weather has been horrible so quite happy with that.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm heading out tomorrow to do it in one hit. Last time took over 27 hrs. Not ridden much last couple of months so don't expect to be quicker. Weather looks wet but not as wet as last year. Seems like a slightly stupid idea but kicks things off I suppose.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Karl wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:56 am Seems like a slightly stupid idea
I wholeheartedly agree :grin: sounds excellent!! Best of luck :-bd

I'm slightly struggling with motivation but a 70km round trip today to collect a billy-bargain bivvy bag from FB marketplace takes me to 400km. The next 2 days look typically bleak but I'll take comfort knowing Karl is probably wetter than me
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I've also found out that people do this indoors? Cycling 500km without actually moving sounds like some kind of witchcraft
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've got out each of the last 3 days, 60 - 70 km on the lanes each time. Got wet, a bit cold and was glad to be back afterwards! So fair dues if you complete this one. I think you're daft :grin: but also :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

I may get too 400km
Currently away on a mini tour in the dales
The weather Is proving to be the problem.
Park Rash in a gale force rain storm with zero conditions was zero fun yesterday.
redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:40 pm I may get too 400km
Currently away on a mini tour in the dales
The weather Is proving to be the problem.
Park Rash in a gale force rain storm with zero conditions was zero fun yesterday.
Well done Tony. You're (well, you and your misus) way way ahead of my. I'm currently sat at 89km and have another 45 miles before I hit the first 100mile mtb milestone.

Was supposed to get out today but lacked the motivation of getting out at 1530 to ride into the night. So packed the packed bike into the outwardly opening shed (door that is). What a lovely feeling that wa, then did my prayers and went to sleep. Hoping to get out for the 40ish miler in the korn at 0400 or so :o
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You mean you don't enjoy riding in the pishing rain at 3 degrees Ton? :grin:
I was out in similar conditions the other day and I did think (briefly) "I've had enough of this!"
Bring back the -9 I say!
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

I bailed my FFF500 in one attempt after 300km yesterday, by then I had done 200km straight into a strong and cold wind and I wasn't properly recovered from a bad cold so enough was enough.

There's lways next year!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

flyingpig wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:35 am I bailed my FFF500 in one attempt after 300km yesterday, by then I had done 200km straight into a strong and cold wind
That's a solid effort!!

36km left for me. Early alarm set for a couple of hours on the CX bike before breakfast :grin:
redefined_cycles

Johnallan wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:08 pm
flyingpig wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:35 am I bailed my FFF500 in one attempt after 300km yesterday, by then I had done 200km straight into a strong and cold wind
That's a solid effort!!

36km left for me. Early alarm set for a couple of hours on the CX bike before breakfast :grin:
Well done John... well done also flyingpig :-bd
redefined_cycles

I was supposed to have done my 45 miles to complete my (backup) 100 miles mtb-ing. Went out too late after extended snoozing so did 15 today which gives me a tally of 68 miles. Have made a 32 mile loop for tomorrow so should have complete my charity/personal challenge tomorrow.

Raised almost £400 so the fact that I have pains and aches allover and have almost finished my expensive olive oil which I used to lubricate the hips and knees. But the cause was/is well worth it and hopefully I've come out a little stronger and closer to some long mtb rides for next year.

In fact I've probably enjoyed being away from the road so much that I might just attempt another 100 mtb miles again next year end week (if I live that far).