Dave Barter

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Dave Barter »

That is not tubeless tape in those rims
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

With a PX 'jobsworth' bike stand. Much more substantial than my old one and actually a good thing for £30
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOBBRWS ... -workstand
Oh and Coleman cool box for Mum and Dad's xmas pressie. PX were cheapest on the net for this.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:25 pm That is not tubeless tape in those rims
I know, which did make me wonder if I'd bought a turkey; the website does say they're tubeless compatible though. Evidently there is a local (ish) bike place that sells 32mm wide Tesa 4289, so I think I'll be paying them a visit next week.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I just buy the narrow tape (19mm?) and go round at each side with an overlap in the middle. Stans have holes there as well, I assume because the need to vent the air out when welding.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The postman has brought me some wool felt insoles, predictably the weather next week is due to return to 13 degrees and raining :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:14 pm The postman has brought me some wool felt insoles, predictably the weather next week is due to return to 13 degrees and raining :roll:
Well done you charmed your postie..all our stuff on back order sing late nov. :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Boab wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:46 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:25 pm That is not tubeless tape in those rims
I know, which did make me wonder if I'd bought a turkey; the website does say they're tubeless compatible though. Evidently there is a local (ish) bike place that sells 32mm wide Tesa 4289, so I think I'll be paying them a visit next week.
Yeah the 'tubeless ready' wording is a bit misleading from SS. The wheels I bought also said this but didn't come with any tape.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

.... missing for two weeks

Holding the wife's presents to ransom too
Boab

Post by Boab »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:11 pm I just buy the narrow tape (19mm?) and go round at each side with an overlap in the middle. Stans have holes there as well, I assume because the need to vent the air out when welding.
I have some 25mm tape, I did consider using it. I suppose with a 66m roll, there's nothing to loose by trying.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

rudedog wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:22 am
Boab wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:46 pm
Yeah the 'tubeless ready' wording is a bit misleading from SS. The wheels I bought also said this but didn't come with any tape.
I don't think "tubeless ready" means they come with tape, though it's easy to see why you might assume that. I think it just means the rim is hooked enough to have a tyre seal on it... though quite how different that is from your average non-tubeless rim, I don't know. Suspect it's largely marketing, though being less cynical, I guess a bigger hook, but that needs closer tolerances so it's not so tight you've got no chance of getting a tyre on. But differences in tyres make a bit of a mockery of that anyway.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Just wrap them with Gorilla tape Bob.
Dont ever do this I had a set of wheels [ bought on a bike] and the tubeless failed and i had to remove gorilla tape. It took hours to do this and alcohol [ on the rim not in me]

Tessa tape is so cheap and comes off in one piece, so please dont bodge like that .
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dont ever do this I had a set of wheels [ bought on a bike] and the tubeless failed and i had to remove gorilla tape. It took hours to do this and alcohol [ on the rim not in me]

Tessa tape is so cheap and comes off in one piece, so please dont bodge like that .
Me, I've never had any problems with it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:28 pm

Me, I've never had any problems with it :-bd
Ditto
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I've never had any problems with it
Probably why you dont think its an issue , talk to me when you have had to remove it.

Still dont see the point in using it given its no cheaper than the proper product and is self evidently much morr sticky/harder to remove.

EDIT: should say it had probably been on for about 5 + years and not sure why it failed but started leaking at various nipples for no obvious reason. Its horrible to remove, whatever its failure rate is ,it will have one, and when it does is much more problematic than tessa tape.
YMMV
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm sitting here looking at a rim (it's in the trying stand, I've just rebuilt it onto a different hub) I removed Gorilla tape from. Yes, it's covered in sticky residue, but it doesn't matter, because I'm going to retape it. I can't see how it would matter if I was going to put a tube in either, since that would also need some tape over it.

I tried Tesa tape when I'd run out of Gorilla tape once. I found it much more difficult to get it to confirm to the rim since it's much stiffer. I sold the rest of the roll and went back to Gorilla tape.

Personal preference I guess.

PS I've heard of people using electrical tape under Gorilla tape to make it easier to remove, but never felt the need.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I use Gorilla Tape. Not had any problems with it. If I've needed to remove it (replacing a spoke) then it's been easy with only a little residue, that's whether the tape's been on for several years or just a few months.

If it works/doesn't work for you...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

"YMMV"
Hallejulah :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:54 pm "YMMV"
At 1st thought it was Redefine-Cycles, with the blessing.... :lol: :roll:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Joe

Post by Joe »

If you warm the tape up with a hairdryer the tape will come off much easier, normally without leaving any residue. I've only needed to take it off once though, to re-lace the wheel. Other than that, all my bikes use gorilla tape and I've had no issues with it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ledburner wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:43 am
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:54 pm "YMMV"
At 1st thought it was Redefine-Cycles, with the blessing.... :lol: :roll:
Not from this atheist but I'm not beyond appropriation of handy shorthand :cool:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

..and dropped off a couple of lightweight 48oz nalgenes for my upcoming Morocco trip, In sha' Allah, a pair of DHB thermal leg warmers to replace my aging ones, and a rather splendid "Planet Express" patch to adorn one of the bags, because why not?
Robster

Post by Robster »

Two boxes from Planet X. One with a few lights, grease and a torque wrench when it was on special offer.
It was also needed because there was a bigger box with a Kaffenback from when it was on a big discount!

Merry Christmas to me and seasonal greetings to all. :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Bit of advice on the Kaffenback, before you throw a leg over it , get the bottom bracket shell chased and faced as well as removing the paint from the disc mounts and aligning them. Saves a lot of wear on bb bearings and improves brake pad life and performance. I built dozens of these when I worked there and few were done as a matter of course, only if a customer specifically requested it. The paint is quite thick and not masked.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

A replacement frame from Spa Cycles :-bd

I bought the original second hand but it was like new. It developed a large crack in the downtube after about 1000 miles and the initial contact with Spa confirmed that the 5 year warranty was for the original owner and thus, I was the keeper of a few scrap tubes.

I managed to contact the original owner, who then contacted Spa Cycles and argued the toss. Eventually they agreed to replace it :grin:

Trouble is, as much as I enjoyed riding it for a short time, I'm not sure I trust it anymore for what I hoped would be a reliable, long distance tourer/Audax bike...

Still, that's not the postie's problem and he delivered the best possible outcome :wink:
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

...with a pair of Endura GV500 Waterproof Shorts from CRC. Quick delivery via Evri too (ordered Xmas day). Should get some use over the weekend :-bd