A right ole knees up!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

A right ole knees up!

Post by BigdummySteve »

Just popping my head around the corner to say thanks, to Stu, Dee and all the Boners I’ve had the pleasure of riding with, bivvy’s,laughs , beers and general madness. Thanks for all the great memories this mad corner of the cycling world has provided, you’ve enriched my life more than I can possibly put into words.
Unfortunately it’s the end of the road for me, I’d been expecting the bad news but we were waiting until the Doc had seen the MRI, I’ve a full depth tear, across the entire front of my kneecap cartilage with a bonus flappie tear on one side, it’s not fixable :sad:
Next step is to clean up the mess, the Doc is not even optimistic that will even provide any relief and says I’ll probably need a full knee replacement in less than two years.

This is not as big a blow as it might seem however, all my life I’ve ridden motorcycles, windsurfed 8ft waves and nearly tubed, skydived around the world, was a half decent Rugby centre, cycled the length of this country and across Spain and rambled over this great isle with some of the finest folks you will ever meet, and Reg :wink:
I’ll look back on my knees knowing that I used them well, they were fun while they lasted, thanks for sharing them the last few years :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Re: A right ole knees up!

Post by RIP »

Really sorry to hear that Steve, gonna miss you, one of our stalwarts. You're right, a lot of fun has been had so hang on to that. Hopefully you'll still keep popping in and never say never? We will meet again! All the best mate, Reg.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Like reg said, never say never.
See you soon enough.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

This is sad to hear, but with that kind of attitude, you'll be 'reet :-bd

Also this
never say never
Guy I know in his 50s had a knee replacement last year... back doing ultradistance stuff within a year.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sprry to hear that Steve... One thing to be very very optimistic about is that cycling is actually classed as one oftnhe exercises prescribed after knee replacents. I'll let you speak to your surgeon/physios about that when the time comes and I'm fairly certain we shall see you again soon enough...

When I had my heart infection (initially they thought it was a massive heart attack from the bloods) I was away from the bike long enough and currently I've just gotten through a 4 week chest infection with 2 teeth removed (not sure which fed the other but most likely the extended period of chest crap must've decided to sit around the gums!!??!) and am slightly worried about an extended ride coming up. It was about a year before I could ride the bike properly after the heart issue (knee replacement is more like 4 weeks AFAIR).

Also there's plenty others on here that thought/knew they might not ride again but here they are doing silly rides :smile:

Not sure if any of that helps Steve. Hope the knee stuff/replacement go well and we see you again very soon :smile:
ton

Post by ton »

Bigdummysteve, never say never mate. had a new hip and a total ankle fusion in the last five years. waiting for the other hip doing presently.
and a mate had a full knee replacement a year ago. he is riding a ebike at present because he got lazy. he was back on a exercise bike 3 week after knee replacement.

no surrender mate. just move the goalposts.

and good luck.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

All the best mate,
You have the attitude to beat this and be riding with us in a year or two with your new knee we all hope
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's a bugger :cry:

I know someone who has had both hips and one knee replaced and still fell runs, maybe not hard but...

As Tony says, just move the goalposts, don't look at what you used to do, look at what you can do.

All the best, as ever with things like this - a positive mental attitude helps.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Sorry to hear that Steve.

I hope in the future medical intervention will give you some respite.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

When you get them done it's vital to do the leg straightening exercises. If you do nothing else, do the leg straightening, otherwise you'll have bent legs and walk with a stick. It won't be the nicest exercise you've ever done but it will shape the rest of your life.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Richpips wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:27 pm Sorry to hear that Steve.

I hope in the future medical intervention will give you some respite.
As I might have told you I work in that field and whilst there are solutions to some types of damage, there's still lots we (those who try fixing the body with regenerative methods/biomaterials rather than prothesis) currently can't do.

I can only think of this:
https://cartilage.org/patient/about-car ... pair/amic/

Tough... I hope you don't have to give up your good and bad habits (outdoor activities) and if you do, find new good and bad habits.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sorry to read that Steve. Was good to ride with you and the others in the Chilterns and I'm sure there's more to come - sounds like there's hope yet, and there's e-bikes :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Never say never mate

I'm sure there are other activities you'll discover that might fill the gap
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Aah bollocks mate, sorry to hear that.

Keep your head up, push for that new knee and we’ll see you out and about again
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
slarge

Post by slarge »

Hey Steve, don't give up hope, ebikes were invented for people like you. Get yourself one, chip it and you'll never pedal with those knees again, but will be out riding.

Stay positive fella!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Warning graphic content :-bd

Well the one in the left (my right) is for us a normal knee, the other one unfortunately is well fooked, the NHS actually surprised me with a shock date for surgery three weeks after seeing my MRI scan. Apparently it was a pretty desperate state, to be honest id rather they had agreed in the full bionic knee job, see RIP told ya I had delicate knees✌️

Fun while they lasted and a very sudden end, if your being, shall we say a small feline about bivvving out just because it’s a little fresh, just think one day this could be your knee, I cycled across Spain in 2019 thinking perhaps, finances permitting that the GDMBR might be a thing I could do.

I might not be able to do it but perhaps YOU could, best start saving and being nice to the Mrs🫡
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark