HT550 2023

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

landel

HT550 2023

Post by landel »

Couldn't find a thread for next year so thought I'd start one. The start list looks extremely strong, it's going to be fascinating for the rest of us :-bd
fatbikephil

Re: HT550 2023

Post by fatbikephil »

http://trackleaders.com/highland22
Steve Bates is about to start a winter ITT. Not the wash out that Annie Le experienced but I wonder if he realises that snow depths are going to make for an awful lot of pushing..... At least all the mud will be frozen!
landel

Post by landel »

Thanks I'll keep an eye on that. He's a brave man in this cold snap, fair play to him. Had to Google the name, that's some palmares.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Steve will give it a good go no doubt.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

landel wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:07 pm Thanks I'll keep an eye on that. He's a brave man in this cold snap, fair play to him. Had to Google the name, that's some palmares.
He blazed through the Rov 150 in 2018 in double quick time, riding with a partner. Dunno if he is going with someone else for this?
landel

Post by landel »

Yep looks like he's solo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl4NQSase5a/?hl=en

'Tomorrow I’ll jump on a train heading north to Scotland once again. This time the goal, the famous HIGHLAND TRAIL 550! One of the toughest summer bike packing routes the UK has to offer, but adding to it, winter conditions and a self supported solo attempt.

With only 6hrs of day light this time of year it’s going to be a massive challenge for someone with a visual impairment who struggles in the dark, but hey, let’s have a crack and see what happens.

There are so many to thank for this, and first of all it has to be @a_girl_outside. Annie was the first to complete the route in winter, this time last year and has been really helpful with my preparations. Also @reizkultur , @ht550alan , Ian McNabb, Ibrahim Park.

Special thanks to @lyoncycle @45nrth and @salsacycles for the support in equipment.

For the first time I’ll be riding with a tracker for all you who love a dot watch, the link is in my bio. This will start Saturday morning at 6am when I depart Tyndrum.

I have @davemacfarlane to capture film and @paudiephoto behind the lens to capture what I hope will be a really special ride.

Special mention to my family and friends who think I’m absolutely out of my mind but support me anyway, I’m very grateful for this.

Well that’s it folks the HT550, see you on the other side 🤞🏼'
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well he's on his Beargrease so maximised his chance of doing it but snow depths over the Bealach Dubh and corrieairyack will be eyeball deep. Looking forward to the action :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ballsy given this week's weather forecast Stretching the definition of solo / self supported though.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Indeed the social media definition of solo - you ride whilst others follow you recording it and quite possibly interviewing you during the ride.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:12 pm Stretching the definition of solo / self supported though.
Isn't that the normal now, as long as they don't actually pedal the bike for you that's ok? :roll:

I've given up pointing it out as there's always the fanboys on the socials with no knowledge of the history of the sport and no experience of riding self support events who'll wade in to say it doesn't make a difference :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Looks like it's been a tough day out there today. Not far from Contin now though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like he will have had a stunning day to day - Scottish hills at their best! As far as I can tell snow levels are fairly low in the west but more snow in the forecast so we'll see. At least he won't have to deal with any mud!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Must be superb doing it (hopefully) in such conditions.
10000 x I'd prefer such weather over what Annie experienced.

Hope it stays dry and cold, or at least cold enough for 'dry' snow.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Now heading up Glen golly so he's had a good day of steady riding. A balmy -2 nearby by the looks but more snow tomorrow morning....
Dare I say it but this is going to make for a great tale so I'll forgive the rule bending of having people film him :???:
psling

Post by psling »

On Steve's Trackleaders page there are references to Angus Young and Huw Oliver having recently (like, a few hours ago) finished the route? Has that gone under the radar or am I missing something?!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

According to Huw's insta, he's been out skiing. I guess any references to recent finishes would be the 2022 group start.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Agreed Phil !

Trying to work out how long he slept for (rather lay down and stopped, must have a very good sleeping bag).
Top of Bealach Horn very slow progress, like 300 feet every 10 minutes, sometimes less.
I guess he’s in deep snow.
Must be horrendous.

Another thing is his food: must be carrying a lot, cos there’s very limited places to buy anything…

Hats off to him, despite the filming. (But I have to say there is a big difference to being on your Jack Jones…. someone ‘in the vicinity’ makes a big difference mentally.)

And…. I wonder just where (and how) the film man/men are [or ladies etc. ] are ?

And digging the mandatory 6 inches when you poo is going to be impossible…. (At least take the paper with you :mrgreen: sorry if you’re having breakfast :oops:)

But I have to say good luck to him, great effort.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

The long downhill from the Bealach Horn….
Less than 1 mph, and a lot of it at 0.4 mph…..
Can only assume it’s deep snow, and if it’s same on the ascent over to Kylescu I can only say it’s just not worth carrying on. It’s skis you need, not a very heavy fatbike….
I wish him well though and perhaps my assessment is wrong….
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Achfary: light snow showers today, heavy snow showers tomorrow….
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like he suddenly speeded up when he dropped below 200m. Doesn't bode well for the Ledmore traverse. SAIS Torridon (they also cover the Great Wilderness) haven't posted anything yet which hopefully means there is nothing to post about...
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Top of Bealach Horn about 7am
Road at Achfary 2:30pm
It’s about 5 miles and downhill, so over 7 hours for 5 miles means conditions are impossible I would say.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ericrobo wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:08 pm Top of Bealach Horn about 7am
Road at Achfary 2:30pm
It’s about 5 miles and downhill, so over 7 hours for 5 miles means conditions are impossible I would say.
After me and chickenlegs suffered badly in deep snow after Ben Alder bothy I cannot contemplate Bealach Horn in deep snow. We were dragging our bikes and struggling across snow bridges. Fair play for not hitting the Spot eject button
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

On his way again from the road at Achfary, after a stop of a good 3 hours. I’d thought he had bailed there but no, he’s on again, the climb up to the top at 409 metres.
Sheer grit and determination, good effort Steve :-bd

Wishing him well for the night ahead
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

I found it extremely difficult finding his trackleaders page, so here’s the link :-bd

https://trackleaders.com/highland22i.ph ... e_Bate_Mbe
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

His speed (or lack of) across the Bealach Horn section meant he sent 6 SPOT "I'm OK" messages in 12 hours. The Achfary climb takes about an hour in summer (when at that point on the route) whereas he's take three. He's got another long descent down to sea level from his current location, hopefully that isn't as difficult as that from the Bealach Horn.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry