Surly vs Fox Fork

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

samwise

Surly vs Fox Fork

Post by samwise »

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help explain this for me.....otherwise I'll just put it down to Surly.....

I'm currently running the Surly boost fork on my KM. I'm using a Hope hub with a 10mm boost adapter on the non-disc side. The LBS dished it for me as required when using these hope converters to be central in the fork. Its been smoothy all year.

I've recently test fitted a set of boost Fox 34's and the wheel is about 10mm off center in the forks...I guess all forks are not made equal but 10mm seems a lot! I can get the wheel dished again but its destroyed my dream of a hot swapping these forks! :shock:

Anyone had this same experience?
Lazarus

Re: Surly vs Fox Fork

Post by Lazarus »

My fox forks have a method of adapting where the wheel sits ( to accommodate slight variations do those ?( Unlikely to make 10mm if difference )

Secondly the hope solution is daft( and weakens wheel due to excess of unequal triangle ) . Centre it and get some standard boost adapters to add 15 mm either side. Which is what I did with my Hope wheel.

Edit : Re the forks deffo BOOST as 10 mm is the boost ! ( That said would still expect a central wheel )
jameso

Post by jameso »

Puzzled by this one. You sure the adapter was on the right side? (sorry!)
Secondly the hope solution is daft( and weakens wheel due to excess of unequal triangle )
If the adapter went on the non disc side and it was re-dished, that would put the rim closer to the non disc side than before/intended and it'd have less dish than a std front disc wheel, I think?
samwise

Post by samwise »

jameso wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:21 pm Puzzled by this one. You sure the adapter was on the right side? (sorry!)
Secondly the hope solution is daft( and weakens wheel due to excess of unequal triangle )
If the adapter went on the non disc side and it was re-dished, that would put the rim closer to the non disc side than before/intended and it'd have less dish than a std front disc wheel, I think?
Yep, deffo on the correct side as otherwise the disc rotor position/mounts would be way off.
jameso

Post by jameso »

samwise wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:28 pm
jameso wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:21 pm Puzzled by this one. You sure the adapter was on the right side? (sorry!)
Yep, deffo on the correct side as otherwise the disc rotor position/mounts would be way off.
It's the sort of thing I could do while knocking parts together in autopilot, offering something up without the caliper fitted then puzzle for a mo before seeing my daft mistake..
samwise

Post by samwise »

jameso wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:34 pm
samwise wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:28 pm
It's the sort of thing I could do while knocking parts together in autopilot, offering something up without the caliper fitted then puzzle for a mo before seeing my daft mistake..
I know what you mean! The caliper was on so deffo on the correct side. I'll check the distance from fork blade to rim on each side of the Surly fork later on and see if there's a difference :???:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Is the wheel off centre or just the rim?

I had a pair of SIDs many moons ago that I crashed, and it must have pushed 1 dropout nearer to the crown than the other, so whilst the wheel was central, the 0.5mm change at the dropout resulted in the rim being 10mm off centre at the fork crown.
Not sure how you'd measure this but turning the wheel so the disc is on the wrong side will tell you if the dropout is twisted or the wheel is off centre.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Your theory is correct, and i was wrong and just measuring one [ no excuses i built it yesterday so should have realised] it makes it[dishing it ] pretty much in the middle by my quick calculation . I stand corrected
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:43 am Secondly the hope solution is daft( and weakens wheel due to excess of unequal triangle )
Is this true? Doesn't feel like it is 🤔
samwise

Post by samwise »

Surly Warranty team are helping me out. Looks like it could possibly be a weld issue with the KM fork.
Last edited by samwise on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is this true? Doesn't feel like it is
In the world of triangulation, a triangle is still a triangle :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Happy to confirm I was still wrong when i said it - even though I had built a Hope wheel the day before so really had no excuse

I can also confirm its still a triangle.