Alternative to Bob

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nobbythesheep

Alternative to Bob

Post by nobbythesheep »

So my youngest has finally out grown the tag along and is riding all by himself but this has brought a new issue,he’s wanting to start coming bike packing with me ,I can’t expect him to carry his own kit ( he’s 7 ) but I’m rather happy with my setup so I thought I could tow a trailer ( got to be lighter than tag along and wee Angus ) is there any decent but cheaper alternatives to the Bob yak trailers?
Lazarus

Re: Alternative to Bob

Post by Lazarus »

I used rack and paniers [ but made them both carry their sleeping bags ]
nobbythesheep

Post by nobbythesheep »

The idea is when he gets a bit older he can tow it himself,he’s not exactly a tall 7 year old
BBEA7CA4-8AE1-4E7A-A83E-673D382167D3.jpeg
BBEA7CA4-8AE1-4E7A-A83E-673D382167D3.jpeg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 536 times
pic with brother for scale 😂
RIP

Post by RIP »

Has that Extrawheel gone yet? Far lighter and more manoeuvrable than a Bob, and can handle far more technical terrain.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
nobbythesheep

Post by nobbythesheep »

RIP wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:55 pm Has that Extrawheel gone yet? Far lighter and more manoeuvrable than a Bob, and can handle far more technical terrain.
Sister-inlaw picked it up at weekend
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

I'm in a similar position in terms of age of 1st child and bike packing kit carrying capacity. We've had a few adventures but as she grows bigger it's more difficult to carry everything. She usually has an Alpkit tapered Airlok bag under her saddle which is jammed with some spare clothes and small light things for her. The rest has been on my bike or back.
For next year we're planning trips - going further and probably from anytime between April to October so warm clothing will be required.

I got a good deal on a Topeak trailer a few months ago. Added to the cost as i needed a seperate yoke for a 27.5+ wheel and thruaxle compatible fittings (both picked up at a discount) - it was still cheaper than just the trailer at full price/RRP.

I think SJS cycles had a cheap m-wave trailer but it had mixed reviews on quality from my research on it.

I'll also be using the trailer for the weekly top up shop once my 3yr moves up to a tag along from his Burley trailer. Don't know what i'll do when he wants to go bikepacking with Dad and his sister... my bike - tag along- trailer sounds like hard work
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Sportspursuit what’s the burley trailer on offer (£315)
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2618355

Or I’d look at rack and panniers if your bike will take it
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

When we started out C2C aged 7 in October.

Tom had a ~7litre bar bag. I carried a tent, sleeping bags and the rest on a tubus rack with panniers.