Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by woodsmith »

whitestone wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:26 am Well chimney now swept (without too much swearing :lol: )

There was a slight problem in that the brush I'd borrowed was probably for a 300mm diameter flue whereas our flue is 200mm meaning the bush was a bit scrunched up so when it got to the top of the chimney it pushed a whole load of soot out onto the roof! :roll: I'll probably buy a more suitably sized brush for future use. Ended up with about a bucket and a half in the stove plus whatever was pushed out of the top.
Years ago I remember watching someone on the TV, possibly Fred Dibnah, lowering a live chicken down the chimney on a length of rope in order to sweep the chimney. Probably land you with an animal cruelty conviction these days.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Mrs-Voodoo booked tickets for Katherine Ryan last to see last night, just about to drive over to Manchester for the gig and I ask if she has the tickets. Blank look! Goes through all her emails for half an hour or so and we can’t find them, so went for a walk around Chester and a chippy tea :lol:

Was my birthday present too, so I can play on this for 11 months now :cool:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:35 am
That’s the right attitude - always look for the positive. Eg. Ok, so the house has burnt down, but all the extra heat has brought the daffodils up a fortnight early….. :roll:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:55 pm
RIP wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:28 pm
RIP wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:54 am "Cyclists are having a whale of a time on Liverpool Road because they can do more than 20mph on their bikes and we can't do more than 20mph in a car"
Just re-read this bit. Where does she get the idea that cyclists "can" do more than 20mph. Presumably she means to say "allowed". Obviously the limit applies tp all road users - vehicles, bikes, camels, geese, whatever.
Speed limits only apply to motorised vehincles if memory serves Reg.

Cycling at 25 in a 20 might attract a "wanton and furious cycling" charge if the OB could catch you though.

Looks like generous shared cycleways in your road pics up above. Keep us updated on the final form and what you council buddy says.
Just been in a meeting with the County planners and councillors and various others. Surprisingly nearly all our requests are being moved forward ( cost/time allowing :wink: ). They've also set up a "public engagement" exhibition in the town next week showing the full set of plans and maps for more proposed improvements to the town walking/cycling infrastructure. Cynically one could say "enough with the plans already, get on with it", but the more awareness that's raised and the more the plans are firmed up the less easy it is to wriggle out of them. Let's see what affect this Thursday has on everything eh.......

So it is possible for "little people" to make a difference, although admittedly it takes a fair bit of effort and dogged pursuit.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:21 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:35 am
That’s the right attitude - always look for the positive. Eg. Ok, so the house has burnt down, but all the extra heat has brought the daffodils up a fortnight early….. :roll:
:lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Is it the weekend again??

4 day weekend starts now :-bd Shame it’s setup to be a bit sodden, though I’d prefer a wet day off than a wet day in work
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Off to the Lakes this evening to climb my final Wainwright tomorrow with some friends and family :-bd

Would be more cheery if the dog hadn't kept us up half the night with dodgy tummy needing to go out. And if I hadn't forgotten to bring coffee to work.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lots of reasons to be cheery today;

On the ride in yesterday the rear brake was dragging, having had this before I knew it was likely the pads had worn down too far, at which point the pistons stick and don't retract, fitted new pads last night and it's no longer like you're going uphill all the time :grin:

The floods have receded so I could ride my normal route on the cycle path. Don't think edge of road with a white line, ours are more gravel tracks and broken tarmac through the countryside.

As I was riding in I realizsd that 3 weeks today I'll be off to the SWWB :grin:

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:20 am And if I hadn't forgotten to bring coffee to work.
This reminds me, I am about to finish my stock of paper filters for the Aeropress, so could you recommenced a stainless reusable filter? If I recall my filters were supplied by yourself as you use a metal one?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:20 am Off to the Lakes this evening to climb my final Wainwright tomorrow with some friends and family :-bd

Would be more cheery if the dog hadn't kept us up half the night with dodgy tummy needing to go out. And if I hadn't forgotten to bring coffee to work.
Good luck with the last one Dave :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:20 am Off to the Lakes this evening to climb my final Wainwright tomorrow with some friends and family :-bd

I hope this isn't your final Wainwright, just the completion of a list
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Verena

Post by Verena »

Cheery because I'm just off home for my lunchbreak, will stock up on flapjacks for the weekend en route, then pack and sort bike for a muddy and beery weekend of wobbling, followed by bagging my November BAM hopefully, if I manage to retain enough strength of character to resist getting waylaid and putting down roots in some pub, or seduced into some non BAM compliant accommodation such as the event paid for campsite... wish me luck :mrgreen:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Good luck, enjoy it :-bd Hopefully the weather clears for you
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:25 am This reminds me, I am about to finish my stock of paper filters for the Aeropress, so could you recommenced a stainless reusable filter? If I recall my filters were supplied by yourself as you use a metal one?
I've got a couple of the perforated disc ones off eBay. They all look pretty similar. I had one of the mesh-sandwiched-between-two-rings ones, but it was a bit too thick for my Go, and the disc ones are easier to separate from the coffee puck.
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:44 am Good luck with the last one Dave :-bd
Cheers Tim!
Dave Barter wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:20 pm I hope this isn't your final Wainwright, just the completion of a list
Good point, an important distinction. Final one, for now. I guess you could argue the next time I go up one, it will be the start of another round.
voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:53 pm Good luck, enjoy it :-bd Hopefully the weather clears for you
Thanks! It looks a lot better than it's been here for the last 24 hours (non-stop rain).
RIP

Post by RIP »

Viv knows it's hard enough to find anything cheery at the moment, but during tonight's Yootoob wanderings I came across The Galaxy Song, but the O2 version, featuring Cox and Hawking, which is definitely cheery to me anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqBThWK8rqE

The sanest voices in the universe at the moment I reckon - Monty P, Cox, Hawking. And yet still we put narcissists such as the Orange Man-child, Ballsupnaro, Khamenie, Lizzie Dripping and Vladolf in charge instead. What a strange species. For me, US President - Terry Jones, Brazil - Eric Idle, USSR - mmm, Cleese?, UK - Palin.... Ah, sorry, I'm dirtying our politics-free safe-zone, my apologies. Back to Monty Python to cheer us up....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm sat on a rock, drinking a 10% stout called Lolcata. Somewhere in the woods behind me is my tarp and bag. I really like sit mats
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't suppose funerals are generally considered as something cheery but yesterday, I spoke at my mum's and it did seem to be cheerier than most. I'd like to share some of what I said because I think that the words are perhaps something many of us can perhaps relate to ... and besides, she loved following everyone's on-line adventures and would eagerly await the stories from events, trips, races etc. :wink:

Many of you will know that most of my mum's working life revolved around education but teaching didn’t begin and end in the classroom. She taught me much as I was growing up and not just the obvious things like reading and writing but those lessons which help shape and perhaps ultimately define you.

She taught me that life isn’t simply made up of black and white but of infinite shades and that you should never judge a book solely by its cover. A belief that was evident given that she never once batted an eyelid when faced with the steady stream of scruffy leather-clad ne'er do wells that continually passed through her house over the years.

She taught me that friends are something best counted with an eye on quality rather than quantity and that friendship is built on a foundation of loyalty that should be unwavering and never in doubt. With her help, I discovered that you should never take yourself too seriously as the more you do, the less others will.

I was taught that only a fool believes they have all the answers and when you make a mistake as we all invariably do, then an apology is a sign of strength not weakness and should be given freely. I learnt to always move forward yet to stop and look over your shoulder occasionally so you could see just how far you’ve come.

She gifted me a moral compass and with it I was taught to defend those unable to defend themselves and when needed, to be the voice of those who can’t be heard.

She taught me that respect was earned and those who simply demand respect due to position or power rarely deserve it … now, I’ll admit, that one has got me into trouble a few times.

She’d always encourage you to pursue your dreams and follow your heart but to make sure you took your head along for the ride - just in case. She didn’t smother us in cotton-wool but instead gave us the freedom to discover who we really were and then the courage to be that person. After hearing of her death, someone said to me, if I could be 10% of the mum she was, then I’d be happy. I think that’s a fine tribute.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

You mum sounds like she was a very wise woman Stu.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just pipped me there Rob. She's handed the baton to you now Stu. Seems to me that it's in good hands.

Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Stuart, touching and very true words. I lurk a lot more than I post here and have often thought about posting about good things that are happening and some bad things that are happening but never really think it's appropriate. After a really sub standard few days at work, I really appreciate the words in para 5-7. Solid advice. Respect to your Mum.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

tuart, touching and very true words. I lurk a lot more than I post here and have often thought about posting about good things that are happening and some bad things that are happening but never really think it's appropriate. After a really sub standard few days at work, I really appreciate the words in para 5-7. Solid advice. Respect to your Mum.
If it's brought a little perspective to a single person or simply made someone think for a few minutes, then it's worth it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:25 am This reminds me, I am about to finish my stock of paper filters for the Aeropress, so could you recommenced a stainless reusable filter?
I've been using an Able filter for years...
https://coffeehit.co.uk/products/able-d ... -aeropress
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Could go either way, i think I may have Shingles in my face / eye again. Hopefully it isn't and I'm 'flashed up' which can feel similar but we'll see :roll:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The one time I got shingles a few years back it was around my eyes and they gave me an antiviral treatment - they commented at the time that they don't normally treat it at all but since it was near the optic nerve they gave me the expensive good stuff.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The one time I got shingles a few years back it was around my eyes and they gave me an antiviral treatment - they commented at the time that they don't normally treat it at all but since it was near the optic nerve they gave me the expensive good stuff.[/quote
Had the same thing Paul but did leave me with some nerve damage in the eye.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I was lucky - my eyesight was already bad and I didn't have any looks to ruin so a couple of extra small scars weren't noticeable. Even now though I get this occaisional random itching on my forehead as the nerves give a quick misfire