Weatherproof awning/canopy - ideas & suggestions!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Weatherproof awning/canopy - ideas & suggestions!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hello all. Ill get straight to it...

Ever since we've moved here I've always had dreams about working sheltered on my bikes. Inside this outhouse I actually set it out so that one day I'd be able to add a posh wall mounted ParkTools bike stand. That never did happen, and then Covid came and everything became a right mess.

Now I've finally removed the door that was inward-opening and a right strain on the old back. Add to that my organisational difficulties problem and the outhouse went from bad to worse. Long term project being a bigger shed outside with a brick base and then wooden everything else... Anyway, so now I've popped on the new (to me) posh door from Eurocell (a right bargain in case you wondered) and it's opening lovely outwardly.

Next step is to start sealing up the edges and the top frame (whatever that part of the anatomy of a door is called) had to be made to sit slightly proud as the opening is a bit skew-wiff. Now before I start sealing it up with some sort of hand fabricated wooden canopy that would just keep the water out, I cannot help but think there must be a way of making an awning/canopy that would allow me to work outdoors - on the bikes obviously. Problem is that it could be very very shallow so may not shed the water properly to stay clean/hygienic.

Also, if I did make it wide enough to be of any actual usage to work on the bike(s) then light restriction into the house might become a problem. Off course I coould use see though roof material but my experience of the cheaper stuff is that it's just that - cheap rubbish that yellows and cracks over time...

The view/light from the sofa in the sitting/living room... :smile:
redefined_cycles

Re: Weatherproof awning/canopy - ideas & suggestions!

Oh... and the dreams of a wall mounted stand either inside the outhouse or on that wall next to the old door, have both gone out the window. I'd have to grab a stand that's easy to pack away or continue use of the trusty Minaura (12 years or more and counting, though it is a bit smashed up now).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about some kind of pull-out awning Shaf? Bit like those seen attached to the side of campers?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:55 pm How about some kind of pull-out awning Shaf? Bit like those seen attached to the side of campers?
Not enough room for it to retract back Stu (I think). Only one brick above that door/frame to work with. The concrete roofing over a galvanised frame is also not the best to be drilling into (I suppose) as risk of crumbling. If I could make a pull out awning work though that would be amazing... I think :smile:
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

What did used to be? Just a brick built general storage thing, or was it ever a garage? If it has only ever been a light general storage thing, then how about going nuclear on it, knock it down completely and build something smaller but more perfectly formed?

It probably wouldn't cost that much, and would be all waterproof, electriced up and fit together nicely.

Otherwise....... there is a coffee shack near me, up on the Polden Hills, and what they have done is (and you have to imagine a lot here) make a 'roof' that is the same size of the front of the shack. It is all hinged along the top edge, then when they open the front of the shack lifts up and becomes the roof on posts and the front of the shack become largely open. But when they are shut the front of the shack is covered up and secured by the roof. Very clever.

Or........ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D3KVWIS/ ... 25987&th=1 and just take it down when not in use?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:24 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:55 pm How about some kind of pull-out awning Shaf? Bit like those seen attached to the side of campers?
Not enough room for it to retract back Stu (I think). Only one brick above that door/frame to work with. The concrete roofing over a galvanised frame is also not the best to be drilling into (I suppose) as risk of crumbling. If I could make a pull out awning work though that would be amazing... I think :smile:
As you say, if there is a concrete slab on top I wouldn't be for drilling it. But how about extending your fixings down with something suitably rigid, some 50x50x3 box or angle or a stout timber? Then you could fix a couple of bricks down from the roof.
redefined_cycles

Rob S wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:40 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:24 pm
As you say, if there is a concrete slab on top I wouldn't be for drilling it. But how about extending your fixings down with something suitably rigid, some 50x50x3 box or angle or a stout timber? Then you could fix a couple of bricks down from the roof.
Thanks Cheddarman and Rob. Rob, I'm trying to picture what you mean and think I have the idea (which is something I'd probably been thinking of too but hadn't thought about making the primary fixing a few bricks down from the top). But can't picture how a 50x50x3 box would look. I assume you mean in mm and the 3 was supposed to be a 30?

Really appreciate the input btw everyone. I'm only planning on doing this once before old age or death overtake me :grin: Hopefully death before old age but I do need to put together my will (so the bikes go to the right place).
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Shaf, I meant 50x50x3mm box section as photo. If it's awkward for you to find steel, I imagine wood would be ok. Probably best if it was pressure treated though as it's outside.

Disclaimer! I'm an electrician not a mechanical engineer. I don't know how heavy an awning is, or whether this is strong enough.
20221116_191544_resized.jpg
20221116_191544_resized.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

No idea if this would work or not. I'd probably drill through the wall and bolt through the box section with M10 studding then find a way of attaching the awning.

May be worth speaking to a builder first though.
Attachments
20221116_202618_resized.jpg
20221116_202618_resized.jpg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 922 times
redefined_cycles

Rob S wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:33 pm No idea if this would work or not. I'd probably drill through the wall and bolt through the box section with M10 studding then find a way of attaching the awning.

May be worth speaking to a builder first though.
Thanks Rob. Really appreciate you taking the time. I think I have plenty an idea now of what/how to make it. Watch this space...

Yes, indeed, I will have to properly think through the weight and holding it up appropriately. One of the things that's been on my mind from the start...
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Twinwall polycarbonate roof sheets won't age/yellow. This is what they use for conservatories etc
redefined_cycles

rudedog wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:18 pm Twinwall polycarbonate roof sheets won't age/yellow. This is what they use for conservatories etc
Yes, that's the plan Mr Dog. Hoping it's pretty light and strong too.