Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by summittoppler »

Blackhound wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:59 pm @summittoppler Sorry to hear having got so near. Most important is that you make a full recovery so you can go again.
Cheers mate. Tempted to say 5eck it and just go to the local hill but my head and Mrs says don't! :???:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

9/10

Oct done with quite a long kip on the BB200 Oct edition..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
SR

Post by SR »

ledburner wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:22 am
SR wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:18 am Just back from quick night out late in the month as been off on travels. My partner came back with covid so when solo last night. Popped to a nice church porch on the hill out of town. Quite a windy night. I forgotten how noisy the owls are at this time of year. No photo as took them on my phone and have to figure out how to make the file smaller

October done
I bet you weren't the only one having a hoot. :wink:
Commiserations to your partner.

I can recommend 'Image Size' , an reliable app,
You can tell it to what file size or resolution you require...
Its available for h'iPhone or h'android. :-bd
All sort ledburner thank you 🤞
Attachments
IMG_20221031_132638_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg
IMG_20221031_132638_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

BAM for October. 29th.

I fancied a change for this month's BAM. And most certainly got it!!
Finally in the 10th month I set up my proper bikepacking bike the Whyte Trail Steel 19 with a rear wheel from my full suss. So thats 3 bikes used this year so far!

I teamed up with Dave from the YesTribe West Mids FB group. Our first time together.
With my van recently destined for the scrapyard, I loaded up my disassembled bike in the new, second user, and vastly smaller Micra.
We met midday ish in Penkridge on 29th. Dave had carefully crafted a route on Komoot for us to follow. Off we went, certainly a mystery tour for me with no prior knowledge or study of the route. A great mix of country lanes, bridlepath and canal towpath (Shropshire Union Canal) ensued. After 9 miles, a food/drink stop in Gnoshall. Onwards at a fair pace. Heading for a promised pub many miles ahead. At the 35 mile mark the Olde Jack Inn appeared. Perfect timing. Some 3 hours later, muchly refreshed, we departed from the mighty fine hostelry, utilising one headtorch and two rear lights to safely (just!) navigate some 3 miles down lanes, farm track and forest to a big wood!
We never found the intended spot by a lake, even though it was close, but settled by a pile of cut timber. The plush, flat forest floor accommodated our humble dwellings for the night. Another beer as nightcap. Then to sleep under the forest canopy. Mileage day one 38 miles.

Morning time we were slow to muster, enjoyed a meagre breakfast, setting off at 830.
On reaching Market Drayton we took a detour to a neolithic monument, The Devils Ring and Finger near to Norton in Hales. The holed stone represents a very rare survival, with only a handful of similar stones currently known in England, tucked well out of the way and worth a visit. Back on our travels Komoot gave us a choice. We entered a 'Bermuda Triangle' scenario, a fair few miles where navigation didn't work, paths were non-existent or overgrown, hike a bike necessary, the brambles cut deep, and nettles tantalised bare legs. Time lost; direction recovered, soon after we were back on the Shropshire Union Canal for a 13mile slog to Gnoshall, picking up at the 21 mile mark the canalside Anchor Inn, Peggs Lane, High Offley for a drink and big doorstep cheese and onion sandwich! Muchly needed!
Soon after we took a greenway ‘The Way for the Millenium’ to Stafford, through the town avoiding roads, then onto the Staffordshire and Worcester Canal heading back to Penkridge.

Some 2.5 miles from our destination and while negotiating the towpath under one of many canal bridges I hit the bridge arch with my helmet. An almighty bang. Blacked my vision briefly. Sent me flying into the canal head first for total submersion, a beautiful freefall, limbs relaxed. Even though depth was minimal, while submerged I remember thinking I mustn’t lose concsiousness . Wise words lol as i surfaced in a split second. Dragging myself back onto the towpath i was thinking wtf is going on.

Inquest quite clearly states the whole event took a matter of seconds. It’s more likely I wasn’t concentrating. That I hit the bridge arch unawares. That I hit the bridge arch at a reasonable speed to fling me clear of the towpath. That my helmet took a lot of the shock with the impact zone on the upper right side, causing me a glance rather than a full frontal head blow (aka lobotomy). There are loads of ‘so luckies’ attached to all this I won’t expand!

So back to the story, Dave enquired as to my welfare but i seemed ok and chose to cycle to the end wet and nonplussed. Mileage day two 38 miles till me phone got wet!!!
It’s been a long protracted story and could’ve devoted more words to our actual camp.

I must say to finish. Thank you Dave for a great route and trip.
During our trip we chatted lots about our cycling and bikepacking.
Clearly our styles of cycling and camping differ. A coming together of different cultures. We both learnt a lot from the other. Great stuff.

I do believe Dave is going to undertake the BAM, starting with this trip. And it’s likely we will have a go at the Winter event.
Btw I have suffered some mild concussion this week, hence this epic piece on my last day of taking it easy!!
Last edited by NeilA on Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bored with the country park so we went the other direction to see what we could see. After an illuminating tour of Leighton Buzzard's choicest industrial estates we ended up at Totternhoe and into the Old Farm Inn. A few beers, a few heckles of the quiz night, kept the landlady up til late, then hauled ourselves to the top of the nearest hill and the trig point.

Very breezy night, but warm. None of the rumoured witches turned up sadly. Made porridge and coffee in a rabbit hole.

11/11, 11/12, 83/83.

Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

We had a nice view over Totternhoe quarry from where a rare brown chalk has been mined and quarried for centuries. Its sister quarry over the hill at Kensworth has a fascinating method of transporting the chalk to the cement works. WARNING: fascinating to Reg.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sour ... F7LPh_
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. This 'ere new S2S Aeros pillow was OK I suppose but I found it a bit 'wallowy' , like an air bed for my head. My head tended to rock a little bit on it. And no it wasn't fully/over-inflated. Nature of air pillows I 'spose, but the Exped pillowpump was better in this respect.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

The "Totternhoe Alps" were an inspired choice, Reg. It's a blimmin' long way down to the village :-bd
Perfectly warm night, good view of the clouds, fast b/w descent and plenty of twaddle spoken :grin: .
I slept very well, too.
May you always have tail wind.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:10 am We had a nice view over Totternhoe quarry from where a rare brown chalk has been mined and quarried for centuries. Its sister quarry over the hill at Kensworth has a fascinating method of transporting the chalk to the cement works. WARNING: fascinating to Reg.

That is genuinely fascinating :grin: Pipeline pressure of 1800 lb/sq inch :o I make that about 125 Bar. The water mains I design use pipework with a maximum normal operating pressure of 16 bar for a comparison. We can get 24 bar pipework but it's very rare for a site to operate at this pressure as we're all too scared of it :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye, thought that might be up your street our Sean :smile:

Rob S

Post by Rob S »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:10 am We had a nice view over Totternhoe quarry from where a rare brown chalk has been mined and quarried for centuries. Its sister quarry over the hill at Kensworth has a fascinating method of transporting the chalk to the cement works. WARNING: fascinating to Reg.

That was worth a read :-bd

I'm amazed that they can go 57 miles without an intermediate pumpset. 125 bar is serious pressure, at work the boilers produce superheated steam at 45 bar. That's worrying enough for me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

That's what I like about This Place - people go on about all sorts of obscure things.

And also about perfectly normal and unobscure things like 57 mile pipelines and pressures :grin:

RIP

Post by RIP »

Neil wrote:
Can't believe I missed your write-up earlier Neil. Very eventful. Great stuff! Mate of mine hit a bridge on our canal a while ago and ended up in the drink. Luckily his chums fished him out 'cos he's an old bugger and a bit unsteady at the best of times. He was wearing all his heavy camera gear round his waist in a belt with lots of little pockets, which acted just like a lead-filled diving belt.....
Last edited by RIP on Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I am getting the impression that canals are dangerous places and there is a possibility that I may be close to one in the not to distant future so some arm bands are on my list of things to buy they may even solve the ongoing pillow issues :smile:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Have fished a cyclist out the canal I was riding with * and have put one in the canal.

( I say fished out but I stuck my hand out they went to grab it, i hit it out the way ,and just got the bike in time by the back wheel as it had a New York Forgetabout it lock on it so was not for floating by its skinny 28 mm tyres
RIP

Post by RIP »

Raggedstone wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:38 pm some arm bands are on my list of things to buy they may even solve the ongoing pillow issues :smile:
:-bd another example of dual-use bikepacking kit

Rob S

Post by Rob S »

A mate of a mate took a header into the Grand Union while using clipless pedals/shoes. He genuinely thought his time had come :o
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I was riding back from work along the Leeds-Liverpool canal a few years ago when a gate between the tow path and the road that had been left open blew across the tow path and knocked me into the canal. The LL isn't deep and I clattered into several rocks in the bed of the canal. The bike was actually embedded in the gate with a tacoed front wheel :sad:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

BAM for Nov. 10th.

Not like me to start so early in the month but a chance to join Steve at short notice was too good to miss. And still time to get in another bivvy before the month is out.

This is the report for Worc. Hike Bike and Bivi from Steve:

"T'was a mightily mild and dry autumnal evening last night, at a pleasantly comfortable 14°C throughout, with a brisk breeze to freshen things up.
Neil and myself met up at the Camp House pub at Grimley, early evening, catching up on all the gossip, also enjoying a "few" hop flavoured refreshing beverages, before proceeding to our proposed bivi pitch.
Conveniently, it is only a 5 minute cycle ride from the pub, a little secret oasis of mine where I have stayed many times in the past. It's a clearing on the edge of some woodland, well away from the footpath and only accessible by crashing through dense undergrowth and waist high nettles, enough to put off even the most determined dogwalker!
Neil's abode of choice was his trusty, very lightweight and minimalist Alpkit Kloke bivi bag. I tested for the first time a hooped bivi, a Russian special forces bag called a Ratnik, which has a remarkably effective camo pattern called EMR, or Digital Flora. I must admit though, I still prefer my Snugpak Ionosphere bivi tent, for its extra space and protection from unfavourable weather... I'm getting soft in my old age"

Steve is a guru of stealth, his hallowed spot is indeed a special and secret place.
Now Steve's Ratnik is a wonder to behold, the quality of the fabric and sexy camo, and its Russian, so dont be sending oodles of GBP their way!!
Back on my Giant Trooper for the ride to Grimley, not yet sorted how to light up my Whyte sufficiently for predominantly road use.

At last after an inconsiderable time this eve, and 11 months of head scratching I found joy in using IMGBB, its so 'farcanal' easy!! Pics galore!!
314356427_10158578224496949_5883362657541886793_n-1024x768resize1.jpg
314356427_10158578224496949_5883362657541886793_n-1024x768resize1.jpg (136.01 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
Sponsored by Alpkit
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:49 pm
Neil wrote:
Can't believe I missed your write-up earlier Neil. Very eventful. Great stuff! Mate of mine hit a bridge on our canal a while ago and ended up in the drink. Luckily his chums fished him out 'cos he's an old bugger and a bit unsteady at the best of times. He was wearing all his heavy camera gear round his waist in a belt with lots of little pockets, which acted just like a lead-filled diving belt.....
Raggedstone wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:38 pm I am getting the impression that canals are dangerous places and there is a possibility that I may be close to one in the not to distant future so some arm bands are on my list of things to buy they may even solve the ongoing pillow issues :smile:
Lazarus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:48 pm Have fished a cyclist out the canal I was riding with * and have put one in the canal.

( I say fished out but I stuck my hand out they went to grab it, i hit it out the way ,and just got the bike in time by the back wheel as it had a New York Forgetabout it lock on it so was not for floating by its skinny 28 mm tyres
whitestone wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:52 pm I was riding back from work along the Leeds-Liverpool canal a few years ago when a gate between the tow path and the road that had been left open blew across the tow path and knocked me into the canal. The LL isn't deep and I clattered into several rocks in the bed of the canal. The bike was actually embedded in the gate with a tacoed front wheel :sad:
Rob S wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:40 pm A mate of a mate took a header into the Grand Union while using clipless pedals/shoes. He genuinely thought his time had come :o
Thank you, guys, for your recollections, the darker an incident the funnier it seems to be.
Certainly made me laugh and glad I share a treasured connection with other mortal bikepackers and cyclists :lol:
Sponsored by Alpkit
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

NeilA wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:28 pm ….the darker an incident the funnier it seems to be. :lol:
Woody Allen said “Comedy is tragedy plus time”

A good description of Type 2 Fun, if you ask me….
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've only ever been down to penkridge along the tow path twice - the second time was because I'd forgotten how much I hadn't enjoyed the first time.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I went out for a spin on one of the old motorbikes around the lanes of Herefordshire on Saturday my route home took me up from the Wye into a lovely wood and on through the village of Woolhope , as I passed the pub I saw loads of people sat in the garden in shirt sleeves enjoying the unexpected heatwave I very quickly decided I would get back home load the bike and come back for a pint and a night in the woods .
The ride up and over the hills to the pub consisted mostly of taking clothes off and sweating as one would expect in November . At the pub i got a pint and sat outside to be joined briefly by most of the people in the pub who were coming out for air . The longer I stayed the more I realised that the pub was an ideal stop on a night out as in the garden they have a wood fired pizza oven and the local church is blessed with an enormous lychgate should the weather turn .After a suitable period of rehydration and being amused by Boner's Canal recollections it was off to find a nice bivvy spot in the woods almost immediately a flat leaf strewn area appeared so I turned towards it to be greeted by what seemed like hundreds of pairs of eyes a standoff ensued as I watched the deer eventually they ran away and sure enough it was a perfect place to stop
url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/157463993@N07/051cN941Pj]Image[/url]PXL_20221112_211142822 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Having been following the what do you cook on thread I had decided to depart from the usual rice/couscous dinner and try the Idahoan Mashed potato with extras it was actually very good .Just as I was going to bed I heard a rustling close by so stayed absolutely still and it got closer suddenly an incredibly loud bark broke the silence and I jumped out of my skin and the deer ran off . A good night with the moon, owls and even some sleep followed unfortunately I woke to thick fog which was a shame as the autumn colours would have been stunning with some early morning sunshine . I think that to date this is my favourite bivvy spot and I will return next year .
11/12 for this year
Verena

Post by Verena »

Blimey Neil, this will certainly make me a bit more careful going under those low canal bridges... :o
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A nice night out that. 4 years of BAM too.
Left the house about 8, nice quiet ride out of town. Headed to one of my favourite haunts, but there were people already there!!! With a campfire going! I sloped off in search of somewhere else, and soon found another flat space underneath some pines. Tarp up, bed made, and spare layers on, I cracked open some Lolcats.

A cosy night followed, with only a brief pitter patter of rain and a squawking owl to disturb me, at least until the first of the early morning dog walkers stomped past. Both dog and walker seemed oblivious to me.

The trip home was the Yin to the previous night's uphill Yang.

2022 BAM 11/12
2022 total bivvies 12
Current streak (months) 48