Sleeping bag liners

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

Sleeping bag liners

Post by Tomwoodbury »

So…. Some of you may have seen my quilt for sale on here which I find a bit chilly on colder nights. I was wondering if there was a sleeping bag liner anyone could recommend that would be able to make the quilt usable once the temps drop. Is there such a thing that has a comfort rating “upgrade” stated.

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sleeping bag liners

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is there such a thing that has a comfort rating “upgrade” stated.
Yes but I wouldn't believe the majority.

A thin summer sleeping bag beneath the quilt will likely be your best bet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
samwise

Post by samwise »

I use a sea to summit reactor which does add a bit of warmth.

Which sleeping mat are you pairing the quilt with?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I asked a similar question at the start of the year. If I remember correctly the general consensus was that while some would help by a few degrees, some of the claims were pretty optimistic. Joe's shop had a budget thermal version, not tried it though.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Thanks all. I have a thermarest neo air lite or something like that. It’s paper thin almost, so maybe that’s my problem.

Tbh I think a thicker quilt is the answer as I don’t want to carry multiple bedding items and I hate the bulkiness of bags on the bike.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A quilt won''t really work without a decent mat. The 250 is a cracking piece of kit that's easily supplement with a few clothes as temps drop in the "shoulder" seasons, if necessary (IMO/E).

If it were me I would get another mat as whatever quilt you get there is nothing else stopping the heat loss to ground and you risk having the same problem. heck someone local to you might lend you something to try.

I'm a big fan of Exped stuff and don't know the neoair mats very well.

Edit: if it's the same as the one I just googled then R=4.2 so maybe it's not the mat :???: :oops:
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

SOL escape bivvy not the nicest next to skin but i sleep in clothes so not an issue - also allows you to get in filthy [or damp] and not dirty [wet]anything
Lighter than most of the other options and not that spendy
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I've never got on with a bag liner, they're so annoying when they wrap around your legs and get twisted in the night, I prefer to pack separate merino base layers for sleeping in.
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ yep
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Shewie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:06 am I've never got on with a bag liner, they're so annoying when they wrap around your legs and get twisted in the night, I prefer to pack separate merino base layers for sleeping in.
Exactly my experience too. And not really any warmer in my (limited) experience.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

samwise wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:02 pm I use a sea to summit reactor which does add a bit of warmth.

Which sleeping mat are you pairing the quilt with?
Ditto ... it makes the horrible cold liner they seem to love in sleeping bags more bearable !
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out of interest, did / do you strap the quilt to the mat? I find that sometimes, it can cause the quilt to 'pull tight' which can flatten the insulation and cause cold spots.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Just to say that I use a bag liner in all my bags (don't like quilts) not to keep warm but mainly to keep the bag cleaner as I'm invariably very stinky when I get in it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
slarge

Post by slarge »

To add warmth I'd be inclined to wear a down jacket/ gilet or thermal base layer. I love my superlight down jacket which takes my cumulus 200 bag down to a very comfortable 0 degrees.

Without the jacket it would be comfortable down to 5 or 6 degrees.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:22 am Thanks all. I have a thermarest neo air lite or something like that. It’s paper thin almost, so maybe that’s my problem.
[...]
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:34 am A quilt won''t really work without a decent mat.
^this
Even a very warm sleeping bag or quilt (also with down clothing) is only as warm as the mat you're using it with.

I try to find places with a soft ground that will trap some air like a field or open grasslands or a forest with loads of leaves or needles rather than naked dirt, rocks or snow.
Dave Barter wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:50 pm Just to say that I use a bag liner in all my bags (don't like quilts) not to keep warm but mainly to keep the bag cleaner as I'm invariably very stinky when I get in it.
Same here. Mine is a selfmade 7D Nylon bag to protect bag/quilt from dirt. Full length and weighs 60 g. Must be about 9 years old and despite the very light & thin fabric
& not taking care, it's still fine.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Is anyone using any kind of reflective or foil ground sheet with their mat?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

samwise wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:35 pm Is anyone using any kind of reflective or foil ground sheet with their mat?
I use a Sol brand emergency blanket as a groundsheet underneath the tent inner but I imagine it has almost zero effect on boosting the warmth of my bag-air matress combo. I use it mainly cos its 100% waterproof, lightweight, cheap and means I'm always carrying an emergency blanket should i or someone else need one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is anyone using any kind of reflective or foil ground sheet with their mat?
This
but I imagine it has almost zero effect on boosting the warmth of my bag-air matress combo
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

My mat has an R value of 2.3 which is pretty decent, no?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:18 am My mat has an R value of 2.3 which is pretty decent, no?
I think that would class as a 3 season. Do you take a spare set of baselayers to sleep in?
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Yeah, tend to sleep in trackie bottoms when it’s cold.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Folks, remember that EN/ISO* sleeping bag ratings assume that you are wearing some form of base layer. From memory I think the standard (actually a criterion) uses a track suit rather than thermals.

*EN13537 is now ISO23537 (ISO adopted it in 2016)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry