What do you cook and what on when out bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: What do you cook and what on when out bikepacking

Post by thenorthwind »

For what it's worth, I don't really find cleaning out a pan an issue (maybe helped by the fact mine is aluminium, given the discussion above). I carry a bit of washing up sponge (probably <5g and squashes into anything). Heating a little water in the dirty pan, just for 10 seconds over a gas stove (or meths burner, but I appreciate that's less straightforward), makes it much easier. I recently bought a travel spoon* with a silicone bowl (as in, the part of the spoon that does the scooping), which also means you can scrape more out, and hence both waste less and make washing up easier.

*having realised that sporks are pointless** since there's really nothing I eat when I'm out that would require stabbing.

**ironically :grin:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I do love a good feed when out on the bike. I'm not one for hydrated meals tbh. A few different options I have is use boil in the bag rice with a 'Look what we found' meal, very tasty. Or I would sometimes take a homemade curry in one of those strong soup bags and heat that up. But you can't beat a nice steak cooked over the fire!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:42 pm
*having realised that sporks are pointless** since there's really nothing I eat when I'm out that would require stabbing.

Indeed. Not sure who I judge more harshly, the spork user or the danglemug devotee. :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:42 pm

I used to ride near Jeremy Clarkson's house
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:55 pm I used to ride near Jeremy Clarkson's house
Is that why you carry a titanium pitchfork?
JackT

Post by JackT »

Hot couscous and cold tinned sardines are a staple. After extensive testing, my favourites are the various flavoured Ainsley Harriot couscous sachets and Tesco Finest Brisling Sardine in paprika & tomato sauce.

Miso soup. Also found the Japanese and Korean ramen soup packs from Asian supermarkets are better than standard Pot Noodle. Add nuts for some crunch. Sometimes carry my own concentrated noodle soup base to add to the water used to boil the the noodles. It's made of chiili oil, soy sauce and Chinkiang vinegar. I find after a long day I really appreciate these salty / umami tastes. It may sound poncey but a slug of truffle oil is great on plain pasta, especially if you can add foraged stuff like wild garlic or mushrooms. Little block of hard cheese like parmesan brings a lot of flavour for the weight/bulk.

I'd like to be able to do more stuff with eggs as they seem to be available on the roadside, if you can carry without breaking. Mostly I just boil them, but there are people who scramble them in plastic bags in hot water (saves on washing up an eggy pan).
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

If I’m not worrying about weight I take rice (often microwave rice that only required a couple of mins boiling). Chuck in a curry sauce mix of some kind: usually Spice Tailor and a tin of mackerel or sardines. You can prepare this really quickly and I think it tastes great! The only problem is that it makes quite a bit of plastic waste…

It is usually cooked on a Trangia burner in a triangle stand.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Whilst couscous is easy its not very calorific for its weight its less than 200 calories in most packets so barely worth the effort IMHO. A cliff bar has more calories as does a plain tortilla wrap.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ainsley Harriett cous cous is 348 kcal for a packet and weights 105g including the packet.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I have sardines in olive oil and chuck the lot in the rehydrated couscous to boost the calories. I decant the couscous into a soup n' save bag before leaving and add a pinch of vegetable bouillon powder as well to improve taste and add some salt.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Ainsley Harriett cous cous is 348 kcal for a packet and weights 105g including the packet.
yes my bad as that was per serving not per pack
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 pm Ainsley Harriett cous cous is 348 kcal for a packet and weights 105g including the packet.
Nope. https://www.ainsley-harriott.com/produc ... -couscous/
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:24 pm
sean_iow wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 pm Ainsley Harriett cous cous is 348 kcal for a packet and weights 105g including the packet.
Your link gives the same result as me? There's 2 servings in a pack. The link says 176 kcal per serving? I know that's 352 but the one in my cupboard is a different flavour.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

They must have reassessed it recently, I have a roasted vegetable one here that claims it's 328kcal. They may have changed the recipe.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:35 pm
woodsmith wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:24 pm
Your link gives the same result as me? There's 2 servings in a pack. The link says 176 kcal per serving? I know that's 352 but the one in my cupboard is a different flavour.
Ah yes. My mistake. I was looking at the 138 Kcal / 100g but missed the "as consumed" part.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

To be fair, I've no idea why they even have the other information, not even bike-packers eat dry cous cous :lol:

My go-to meal is supermarket own brand super noodles, broken up and throw away the flavour sachet, and Ainsley Harriett cup soup, made in a ziplock bag, the soup is a much better flavouring for the noodles. If I want extra calories I also add half a packet of cous cous.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:31 pm Whilst couscous is easy its not very calorific for its weight its less than 200 calories in most packets so barely worth the effort IMHO. A cliff bar has more calories as does a plain tortilla wrap.
If you love couscous, but fear its low calorie density, add some oil or butter. Same can be done with any type of food you like.

When in Iceland I muchly enjoy the harđ fiskur (dried cod) with mayonnaise and crackers or just plain with butter. The fish itself may have loads of protein, but without the fats of mayo or butter is otherwise rather low on calories.

One of my favourite meals is polenta, again rather low on calories, but not so much with some dried meat, chunks of cheese and butter. Tastes lovely :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

About the most calorie dense thing I've found is chocolate hobnobs @ 494 / 100g which compares favourably with an average Cliff Bar @ 390. The Cliff Bars do have about double the protein and half the fat level though but when you can buy a whole packet of Hobnobs for less than the cost of one Cliff bar its a bit of a no-brainer for me. Don't get me wrong I do like Cliff bars, I ate around 1000 of them hiking the Continental Divide. :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

On those rare occasions that I’m actually organised before a long ride, I break clif bars into 6 chunks so you can just pop a chunk in at regular intervals without stopping.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:42 am About the most calorie dense thing I've found is chocolate hobnobs @ 494 / 100g which compares favourably with an average Cliff Bar @ 390.
Macadamia nuts are beyond 700.
I quite like them bland, but even better with a little bit of salt, some rosemary :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:42 am About the most calorie dense thing I've found is chocolate hobnobs @ 494 / 100g which compares favourably with an average Cliff Bar @ 390. The Cliff Bars do have about double the protein and half the fat level though but when you can buy a whole packet of Hobnobs for less than the cost of one Cliff bar its a bit of a no-brainer for me. Don't get me wrong I do like Cliff bars, I ate around 1000 of them hiking the Continental Divide. :lol:
Mould a Clif bar into a sausage shape, lay it in the floor then make your mates barf as you pick it up and eat it. They look so much like poo I can never consume one again
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

if you crap chocolate chips I am incredibly jealous

Squashed malt load always looks like poo to me
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:47 pm Squashed malt load always looks like poo to me
The secret is not to chew them
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Maybe not exactly what the thread is all about but...

I always try to keep it as simple as possible and the best/most wholesome meal I can recall was the Covid edition of the BB200 (2020). It was one of the quality versions of dehydrated meals from BlaBland. It was one of the pasta flavours AFAIR and eaten under a tree and nearby a stream... Such a warm and cosy feeling just thinking about it.

My other options are the instant noodles type packs from Maggi (but I alwasy ensure it's not the cheaper/slave labour chinese manufactured ones). Specifically anything made in Malaysia as it's more likely the 'halal' label actually means what it says. But... recently I've noticed - though it might be in my head - some slight stomach upsets after eating too much of these (at work).

So, I'm possibly back to the drawing boards and also slowly coming to the conclusion that local cafe stops are more realistic but with a backup of some quality dehydrated meal just in case... Oh, and my next cooking kit addition will be one of the pots mentioned above by Gian (Alpinum). Stove/gas and pot person...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:42 am About the most calorie dense thing I've found is chocolate hobnobs @ 494 / 100g which compares favourably with an average Cliff Bar @ 390. The Cliff Bars do have about double the protein and half the fat level though but when you can buy a whole packet of Hobnobs for less than the cost of one Cliff bar its a bit of a no-brainer for me. Don't get me wrong I do like Cliff bars, I ate around 1000 of them hiking the Continental Divide. :lol:
Thanks Woodsmith. I've been using them Oatbars as the backup but their quite 'torturesome' sometimes. Think I'll start buying chicolate hobnobs as an additional...