200 / 300 events

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Hummerlicious

200 / 300 events

Post by Hummerlicious »

Hi all, not been on here for a while, after my recent (not so successful) dabble in the BB200 I realise that, for some reason, I want more of this.

What UK 200 / 300 style events are there that I can go do next year??

Cheers,

Jimbo
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.Sussex-MTB.com
Riding bikes, dreaming about riding bikes.
My head is on the Tour Divide
fatbikephil

Re: 200 / 300 events

Post by fatbikephil »

They are a bit thin on the ground these days, with the demise of the Yorkshire Dales 300/200. There is a the Cairngorms and Loch Lomond and Trossachs loops (both 300) but would a bit of trek for you to get to. Not sure there are any others to be honest..... A few people have set routes but none of them have taken off.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cairngorms Loop in both May and September

Stu Rider isn't doing the Yorkshire Dales 300 next year as he's now over by the North York Moors so is thinking of doing a similar event there.

Then there's the rides like the Lakeland Loop and the Peak 200 that don't have associated group starts.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

I think I have a GPX of the Lakeland one, but not heard of the peaks one. Is there a GPX of the route anywhere?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hummerlicious wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:50 pm I think I have a GPX of the Lakeland one, but not heard of the peaks one. Is there a GPX of the route anywhere?
Check selfsupported.net
slarge

Post by slarge »

Lots of routes Jim, but not many events.

Dales Divide is 600km (Chris Ellison of TD fame is the organiser)
Big Bear 530 -a route around central Wales but not an event
Lots of Wales coast 2 coast or loops - pm me for gpxs

Or you could look at xDuro
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

www.selfsupporteduk.net

Plenty of routes on there
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Jennride - Usually 100ish miles but the elevation makes up for the missing distance
Calder Divide - Various distances, great event
Dorset Divide - A bit longer but fast flowing and ridable. My favorite ride to date
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

vaguely exciting, thanks people, I'll check those out
FLV

Post by FLV »

I was considering ‘organising’ a peak200 (or similar route I’ve been looking at) group start.

It wouldn’t be any more than a start time and date shown in the anyone playing out page on here. Keep an eye on there if you’re interested.

I hadn’t quite settled on a start point yet, ideally a cafe but parking in the peak is troublesome near a cafe.
BenS

Post by BenS »

Group start on the Peak 200 would be good.

Wrong side of the peaks for you I know but there is plenty of on the side of the road parking just up from the Fox House and there’s the NT Longshaw Cafe 5 minutes from that.

Other option might be parking in Lodgemoor on the edge of Sheffield then it’s 10 minutes to pick up the route at Wyoming brook. There is a cafe with limited opening hours at the campsite there or the 3 merry lads & Sportsman are nearby too.
FLV

Post by FLV »

BenS wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:49 am Group start on the Peak 200 would be good.

Wrong side of the peaks for you I know but there is plenty of on the side of the road parking just up from the Fox House and there’s the NT Longshaw Cafe 5 minutes from that.

Other option might be parking in Lodgemoor on the edge of Sheffield then it’s 10 minutes to pick up the route at Wyoming brook. There is a cafe with limited opening hours at the campsite there or the 3 merry lads & Sportsman are nearby too.
Dunford Bridge was my current thinking, free parking, plenty of space to stand around waffling before the start.

Fox house was another option for sure.

I've ridden most of the route extensively, I was considering a few changes as part of reviving the route but I keep getting carried away :-)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

FLV wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:09 pm I was considering a few changes as part of reviving the route
Oooh, this interests me. Discuss!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

In Reverse wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:57 pm
FLV wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:09 pm I was considering a few changes as part of reviving the route
Oooh, this interests me. Discuss!
Dave is thinking to include the doctor's gate just for you :wink:
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

I must admit, I was considering organising a group start for my SD300, just not sure about the whole insurance / liability side of it, anyone have experience in that?

https://bikepackinguk.com/sd300/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a very grey area Jim and it generates much debate but the bottom line is probably that the least amount of 'organising' the better.
May the bridges you burn light your way
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

, I was considering organising a group start for my SD300, just not sure about the whole insurance / liability side of it, anyone have experience in that?
I'd probably have a chat with AudaxUK if you want a proper umbrella for it

However some landowners may be a bit grumpy or want to charge for events that cross their land even if nominally on the "public highway" aka bridleways. Their ability to do that is probably debatable but they will have deeper pockets for lawyers if they decide to get upset

Also local authorities like to be told of "events", usually a simple form fill, they then check with others, helps avoid clashes with other events

Or just "gumball" it
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

However some landowners may be a bit grumpy or want to charge for events that cross their land even if nominally on the "public highway" aka bridleways. Their ability to do that is probably debatable but they will have deeper pockets for lawyers if they decide to get upset
Someone might get 'upset' but that's as far as it goes. They'd certainly have no recourse to involve people in suits. A quiet word / explanation prior can work wonders.
lso local authorities like to be told of "events", usually a simple form fill, they then check with others, helps avoid clashes with other events
You're under no obligation to do that. A quick nod to the local law enforcement might be in order but only if you're expecting a lot of riders on the road at a given time.

Generally, the more people you involve, then the less chance you have of pulling it off and the more hoops you'll be expected to jump through.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Cairngorms Loop "group start" is just a publicised time to turn up at The Bridge of Atholl car park. When there was a Peak 200 group start that was the same. The YD300/200 were run by Stuart Rider from his workshop so were a bit more "organised" but not much and by the time everyone got off-road they'd be well spread out so it didn't really appear to be "an event". From memory the first couple (YD300) were advertised more like "I'm going for a ride around the Yorkshire Dales if anyone would like to join me." The JennRides are probably the most "organised" event though that is very much charity based - Rich would obviously have more insight about that event.

So my 2p would be...

Just announce it as a ride starting at the given time and date.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

You're under no obligation to do that. A quick nod to the local law enforcement might be in order but only if you're expecting a lot of riders on the road at a given time.
I couldn't attest to the legality of the need to notify the LA, I can attest it was a painless experience when I did it and they informed the police etc. It was particularly useful to deconflict dates and to manage a issue with a car parking area that another group decided to use in the run up to the event

Also helps to keep other events away from yours once you get the thumbs up, whether it be ramblers, horse riders or others

But if it's a small thing and you aren't charging just gumball it
.Just announce it as a ride starting at the given time and date.
Gumball......
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

Yeah to be honest I'm thinking more "I'm doing this thing if anyone else fancies joining me" type level of organisation