Next weekends BB200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Next weekends BB200

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pm Thank you to all who attended both this weekend and back in Oct. Maybe a few subtle changes afoot for next year but we'll see.
Platinum badge for sub 20 / 18 / 16 or whatever!
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

A big thank you to Stu and Dee for putting on the BB200.

A friend called me up on Friday, telling me he had a spare ticket to Bike Park Wales on Saturday should the BB200 be cancelled... that made me laugh, cancelled because of a bit of weather, it ain't gonna happen. The thing is that now days (old man mode) it is damn near impossible to do anything without some cotton wool involved.

So I am grateful to have had the opportunity to go out and struggle, feel like sub standard, hola with joy, push through cramps and a dicky stomach, ride mad slippery descents at night like a man possessed with only a front brake... 23 hours and 30 minutes of brilliant, terrible and rewarding life.

Having to go down the stairs backwards at the moment...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha, true.

I was one of the idiots that completed the year that probably should have been cancelled... probably luck more than judgement that none of us ended up drowning on that one.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Richard G wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:05 am Ha, true.

I was one of the idiots that completed the year that probably should have been cancelled... probably luck more than judgement that none of us ended up drowning on that one.
I did drown. Ask Chickenlegs
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:05 am Ha, true.

Aye, that were rather damp. At least for the first half- it did clear out during the night.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:40 am I did drown. Ask Chickenlegs
Yeah, I had a feeling someone would be along to post about that particular incident. Had someone not grabbed me I'd have gone much the same way.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

That one was exciting!
Zane

Post by Zane »

First time doing an event like this for me. Had to bail at roughly half way. Initially a bit disappointed in my self for not seeing it through, but I learnt a lot from the experience and will hopefully be back a bit more prepared next year. Thanks Stuart for a monster of a route.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was it you having trouble with tyres / punctures Zane?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zane

Post by Zane »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:05 pm Was it you having trouble with tyres / punctures Zane?
That’s wasn’t me no. I was the one who had to come back to the start again after forgetting my camelbak :???:
thesloth

Post by thesloth »

That was fun. Cold wet & dark fun.
Overall the ride went very well for me. Nothing fell off the bike or the body. Certainly it went better than previous (Green) attempts.
Mercifully the rain stopped as the sun went down. I'm not sure I could have handled the rain + the cold after dark.
Was very lucky to make it to the Fish & Chips place in Rhayader 15min before closing. The hot food set me up well for the night. Was surprised to hear them say that no other riders had stopped there. How could one resist!?
One would have had to be pretty adventurous to go for a sit down meal in a pub considering how "festive" everyone was looking after Bonfire Night drinking.

For most the highlight of the ride seemed to be the discovery of the microwave in the BP garage. People were getting quite emotional about being able to heat up their pies and sausage roles (myself included).

A few photos and videos:

This one probably sums it up best:
https://flic.kr/p/2nYjfna

The complete album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAe4a4
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm always grateful that some people take photos. I can never really remember any of the ride until I have my memory jogged that way.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Well done on completing the ride.

I must say, your pictures actually make the weather look less miserable than it felt.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Great pics there, us October lot definitely had it easier!