Re: Next weekends BB200

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How many are doing the 300 Stu?
Not sure I'll know until 10am tomorrow Bob. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm assuming the forecast got the better of many folk with just 30 riders from an original field of 80 setting off into the hills. It transpired that said forecast was largely wrong with everyone getting underway in the dry. There's a little drizzle now but nothing you'd concern yourself with.

200 - 28 riders. 300 - 2 riders . Women - 2 riders.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. :wink:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

How's that compare to October ?
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How's that compare to October ?
56 in Oct, so much lower today.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

so even this place is made up of fair weather cyclists [ says man who has never been to any bb event]
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:48 pm fair weather cyclists
Nah, surely they'd be the offcumduns, just booking the event and not normally frequenting This Place?

We're made of much sterner stuff. Aren't we. Aren't we?

I mean are we mice or are we (wo)men? (*)

(*) answer: squeak
Last edited by RIP on Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Well for me, I'd entered, but whilst riding for 4 days through Snowdonia at the beginning of October, including that massive deluge on the Friday before the first BB, I realised that this was enough. I no longer wanted to test myself against the limits, I was happy just riding for 12hrs a day and seeing the world. It was a wonderful realisation.
I don't mind weather, in fact I love a good old howler, but I just couldn't envisage wanting to ride for 24hrs anymore. That part of me has gone and I don't miss it.
I've worked outside my whole life. Man I've been cold and wet (sheep farming in Devon was an experience I can tell you). Weather is ok. I flippin hate sleep deprivation though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

so even this place is made up of fair weather cyclists [ says man who has never been to any bb event]
No, it's just how it is John. I fully get that a potentially unpleasant forecast can easily be enough to tip the balance.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:34 pm
I mean are we mice or are we (wo)men? (*)

(*) answer: squeak
Also squeak :grin:

Glad the weather picked up, looking forward to the tales
FLV

Post by FLV »

The weather did not play ball, piggin soaking
slarge

Post by slarge »

I bailed on the 300 - it was a wet start for the first 6-7 hours, I was knackered and my heart wasn't in it today. Which is a shame as the route is a cracker - and in dry conditions would have been quick and fun.
No badge for me this year (unless there's an "otters pocket " badge)..

Tom Bell is still out on the 300 - hope he finishes!!!

Fair play to the others out there- the forecast for tomorrow is damp.....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

slarge wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:11 pm I bailed on the 300 - it was a wet start for the first 6-7 hours, I was knackered and my heart wasn't in it today. Which is a shame as the route is a cracker - and in dry conditions would have been quick and fun.
No badge for me this year (unless there's an "otters pocket " badge)..

Tom Bell is still out on the 300 - hope he finishes!!!

Fair play to the others out there- the forecast for tomorrow is damp.....
Fair dos Steve - the climb up to Great Rhos would have been miserable if you weren't feeling it...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hard luck Steve. TBH I'm surprised that you had a go as the post TDR "blues"/lethargy must still be ongoing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
slarge

Post by slarge »

Cheers Phil and Bob,
I baled at the bottom of the climb before Great Rhos, and am sure I made the right decision. I feel wiped out now, and have just sat and watched a film this afternoon (unheard of for me).

Stu - is Tom Bell back in? Hope everyone got back safely as it was a cold night last night ( 0 to +2 degC)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Everyone accounted for and back largely in a single piece. Out of interest, 28 200 riders went out and of those returning having completed the route 17 went home clutching a black badge but only a single blue and a solitary green ... weird times. :wink:

Thank you to all who attended both this weekend and back in Oct. Maybe a few subtle changes afoot for next year but we'll see.
Stu - is Tom Bell back in?
Yes Steve. Back early afternoon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pmOut of interest, 28 200 riders went out and of those returning having completed the route 17 went home clutching a black badge but only a single blue and a solitary green ... weird times. :wink:
I sense a backlash coming :shock: :grin:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I’ve been thinking of you lot out there this weekend.

Good on you for even starting.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pm Maybe a few subtle changes afoot for next year but we'll see.
Don't say that! I was planning on returning to 200 land next year as it will be the 10th anniversary of my first!

Bugger... :shock:

Si
Princellewelyn

Post by Princellewelyn »

Thanks Stu for cracking event - about as much adventure as can be had in the UK in a weekend - and at times a bit more than wanted! It's a good thing you aren't on route as more than a few choice words are muttered as we push, scramble, slip up another hillside, fall into another gate etc. Anyway, pleased to have got round and I'll be back - in another 9 years when I've finished washing my kit.

PS - I'm quite honoured that Steve (Large) seems to have confused me (Tom Webb) with former National Hill Climb champion (Tom Bell) - although I'd be interested to see how he fared over 30 muddy hours, rather than 7 minutes of power!
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pm Everyone accounted for and back largely in a single piece. Out of interest, 28 200 riders went out and of those returning having completed the route 17 went home clutching a black badge but only a single blue and a solitary green ... weird times. :wink:

Thank you to all who attended both this weekend and back in Oct. Maybe a few subtle changes afoot for next year but we'll see.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pm Maybe a few subtle changes afoot for next year but we'll see.
Why do I sense a return to 2014 to thin out the herd? :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't say that! I was planning on returning to 200 land next year as it will be the 10th anniversary of my first!
No plans to make it harder.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:04 am
No plans to make it harder.
Phew!

It is hard, but that is an important part of the event.

It's not a challenge if it is easy...

Thanks for putting it all together Stu... See you in January

Si
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ben98 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:58 am
Why do I sense a return to 2014 to thin out the herd? :shock:
I was thinking of 2024 as a tenth anniversary edition :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Princellewelyn wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:54 am Thanks Stu for cracking event - about as much adventure as can be had in the UK in a weekend - and at times a bit more than wanted! It's a good thing you aren't on route as more than a few choice words are muttered as we push, scramble, slip up another hillside, fall into another gate etc. Anyway, pleased to have got round and I'll be back - in another 9 years when I've finished washing my kit.

PS - I'm quite honoured that Steve (Large) seems to have confused me (Tom Webb) with former National Hill Climb champion (Tom Bell) - although I'd be interested to see how he fared over 30 muddy hours, rather than 7 minutes of power!
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:45 pm Everyone accounted for and back largely in a single piece. Out of interest, 28 200 riders went out and of those returning having completed the route 17 went home clutching a black badge but only a single blue and a solitary green ... weird times. :wink:

Oops, sorry Tom (Webb). Not sure where I got Tom Bell from...... well done on finishing. I was following your tyre tracks and initially thought you weren't far ahead as the tracks were fresh, but they seemed to suddenly get a bit more washed out - either you were pulling away or the rain was having an effect. Did you sleep or ride straight through?
I did think that there was a distinct lack of any other tyre tracks either from the October event or other riders, but I guess that part of Wales is seldom ridden.
Princellewelyn

Post by Princellewelyn »

I got about 30 mins kip on the floor of the honesty cafe. If I’d thought I was going to be out so long, I’d have tried for a proper stop, but I got round the first half in about 12 hours, detoured to the petrol station at Llandrindod Wells for a coffee and decided to go straight through (pipe dream of 24 hours?). But then so slow through the farm mud and gates in the dark - didn’t get to Bwlch y Sarnau until 5.30am.

Sorry not have seen you - I was ready to go at 7, so keen to get going. Maybe another time…