New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/canyon-s ... on-system/
*sigh*
It's supposed to stop tiller effect at low speed for bikes with easy rider type geo.... I suspect it will make it much worse :???:

If it was a steering damper I'd get it but this will have the opposite effect I suspect
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Similar to this?
Attachments
FA6AACB5-8862-4840-87EC-2800A3527A5B.jpeg
FA6AACB5-8862-4840-87EC-2800A3527A5B.jpeg (94.27 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I've fitted quite a few of the Hebie steering dampers. I wouldn't really class them as dampers though. They actually work really well on a bike that is front-loaded and tends to suffer from wheel flop. But not really at speeds higher than walking pace I would say.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have one on my cargo bike

I found the wheel flopped when I put it on the centre stand - if there's cargo on the back then the front wheel gets lifted up. I put one of those on and it fixed it, although doesn't work very well if there's heavyish cargo on the front rack
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:grin:
But the article only shows rad dudes on DH bikes, not shopping bikes!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ahem. You can get rad on a cargo bike too:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkEH2dHvM-O/
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Talking of Cargo Bikes
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/surly-skid-loader/

Only for sale in US and Canada.
As you were.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mariner wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:43 am Talking of Cargo Bikes
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/surly-skid-loader/

Only for sale in US and Canada.
As you were.
I saw that and thought it looked pretty good so that's a shame. There seems to be a real issue getting bikes in from the states from the small manu's at the mo. Jones are pretty much off limits now due to costs of import etc...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/livall-pikaboost/
I suspect this won't work (unless it's dry) plus it will soon self destruct given it's right in the firing line for anything off the back wheel. But quite a good idea if they could work out a way of making it rain proof and still allow mudguards. Plus it would be great for cheating on bikepacking ITT's :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

suspect this won't work (unless it's dry) plus it will soon self destruct given it's right in the firing line for anything off the back wheel. But quite a good idea if they could work out a way of making it rain proof and still allow mudguards. Plus it would be great for cheating on bikepacking ITT's :-bd
How much is 250w? It doesn't sound like much.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The average watts for the TdF is 300w ish [full route possibly slightly less without the drugs] with them able to kick out 600w for a few hours or a day stage and 1500kw if a sprinter track /sprinter - but for a bout 20- 30 seconds

250w is probably more than most of us can hold

Main issue is no use for knobbly tyres so road use only
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

More powerful than I imagined then John.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:45 pm How much is 250w? It doesn't sound like much.
Isn't 250w the legal maximum continuous assist for ebikes?

On a sort of relate note, I drove to work on Tuesday and got stuck in a line of cars behind a chap riding his bike in the middle of the road. The reason the lead car couldn't pass him was because he was doing 30 to 35 mph continuously on the flat. As he was wearing a hi vis jacket, wooley hat and work boots I suspected he had some help.

When he turned off I could see he had a front hub motor which was about half the diameter of the wheel. I knew he was a (probably) unlicensed, uninsured, untaxed motorcyclist with no helmet on but the other cars will just see him as a 'bloody cyclist' that held them up :roll:

I see the pikaboost vcan be used without having to pedal, thus making the rider another illegal motorbike rider.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The DoT can't cope with the volume of unlicensed, untaxed and uninsured cars let alone adding modded ebikes or even privately owned e-scooters to that.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:24 pm The DoT can't cope with the volume of unlicensed, untaxed and uninsured cars let alone adding modded ebikes or even privately owned e-scooters to that.
Whist I fully agree, my issue with home made motorbikes* is that some of those motorists will use that as an excuse for their poor driving standards when they pass me as I cycle the same road.

* Lets stop calling them ebikes as that just adds to the issue, as cyclists (and I'm including the users of legal ebikes in this group) we need to distance ourselves from these morons with 2kw hub motors, they are home made motorbikes. If I built a home made electric car**, untaxed, uninsured and not compliant with any regs and used it to go to work I would expect to get stopped. There used to be a chap who rode a 30mph homemade 'fatbike' motorbike with aerobars on my comutte, not seen him in a while so assume he's crashed it or been pulled.

** Makes a mental note to see what parts are laying about the workshop tomorrow as I have an idea for a winter commuter :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I normally use 'pedelec' when I'm talking about a legal ebike to avoid any confusion. I think the legal ones I see on the roads around here are in the minority, most seem to used for food delivery, are front hub driven and the rider isn't pedalling, ie a electric motorbike.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think the motors that make you go without pedaling still fall under the category of an e-bicycle if they are restricted to 26kph as per e-assist??
I am reliably told that the cops are well briefed on the difference between legal e bikes and e 'motorbikes' and are starting to nick people. (Sighs with nostalgia) Just like the good old days of 'restricted' '50's and 125's being covertly de-restricted. We didn't twig that the Police would be suspicious of a 50cc bike doing 60mph... although in my case it was never an option as my 50 was a tomos moped

I am seriously thinking about e motorbikes for some point in the future, for commuting and shopping journeys. But I have a motorbike license :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:28 pm I think the motors that make you go without pedaling still fall under the category of an e-bicycle if they are restricted to 26kph as per e-assist??
I thought you had to pedal and it should be pedal assist? But I could be wrong. I'm guessing that doing 35mph on the flat, even if peddling with work boots on, it's unlikely to be legal :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I recall another bikeradar review of a bolt on e bike kit which could go under its own steam was described as being restricted so legal....
Pass, as Bikeradar could well be wrong....
jameso

Post by jameso »

Whist I fully agree, my issue with home made motorbikes* is that some of those motorists will use that as an excuse for their poor driving standards when they pass me as I cycle the same road.
Bad drivers will use any excuse, them being annoyed at modded e-bikes that for many are an alternative to the car that many just can't afford anymore is just a new one in a long line of sub standard excuses for being a bad driver : )
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Have we covered Powershift yet?
https://www.classified-cycling.cc/products/gravel

I can sort of see what they are trying to do but if I was/am looking to refit a drive train I would go hub gear with belt drive.
Get rid of the dangly oily bits.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm thinking SA have had 2 and 3 speed cassette hubs for years. Granted they still require a cable but I'll accept for £125 :wink:

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jameso wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:20 am modded e-bikes that for many are an alternative to the car that many just can't afford anymore...
I got overtaken by the 'modded e-bike' when I was riding in this week. I'm going to go out on a limb here but with the overpowering smell of weed* when he passed me I'd suggest it's not that he can't afford a car but that he's had his license taken off him**

* How much must he have smoked for breakfast that I could still smell it when he went past :o

** There was a crack down on drug driving here a while back and there were a surprising number caught and banned
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Mariner wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:52 am Have we covered Powershift yet?
2.5 grand to get rid of a front mech? Really?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mariner wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:52 am Have we covered Powershift yet?
https://www.classified-cycling.cc/products/gravel

I can sort of see what they are trying to do but if I was/am looking to refit a drive train I would go hub gear with belt drive.
Get rid of the dangly oily bits.
That website seems surprisingly lacking in detail - it takes a bit of reading to work out it's a 2 speed hub gear with a cassette, so not new, just refined. Also no weight info for the gear unit, just the wheels without it....
Not totally convinced it's worth £2.5k though and when I read 'maintenance free' I translate as "when it's broken you can't fix it"

If someone did a 2 speed hub that weighed less than a kilo and took one sprok I'd be interested.