Shell and BC.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Shell and BC.

Post by fatbikephil »

A mate used to work at Exxons ethylene plant near here. They got into trouble a few years ago due to having to flare the feedstock lots of times (instead of once per year for planned maintenance) due to problems in the plant = vast Co2 emission, large flame, lots of noise. The green party and various campaign groups got wind of this and all sorts of protests were planned. It never came to much due to the pandemic but Exxon then made rumblings about moving to the far east or Africa instead. We need plastic whether we like or not (we just need to use less and recycle more) so if we need it, we are better making it over here than in a country where emissions restrictions and H&S are none existent...

It would be much easier to maneuver this conundrum if the companies concerned weren't such evil global dominating barstewards....
jameso

Post by jameso »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:17 pm
jameso wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:43 pm it's bad comic strip structure
That's the real crime in all this.
Is nothing safe anymore? :)
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

It's all a bit of a shame that BC couldn't find a single "green" company prepared to put their hands in their pockets to fund the BC disability programme and journey to net zero for the next 8 years especially as most renewable generators are pocketing subsidies (ROCs, rhi, FIT etc) whilst making extraordinary profits due to the link with gas prices

Anyone who thinks a large renewables project in the UK is delivered for anything other than the financial return is in cloud cuckoo land. The commercial green sector seems to have deep pockets and short arms when it comes to supporting the "greater good"
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Happy to live in cloud cuckoo land as some quite clearly do it for environmental good, though not at a loss
Basically its like arguing Patagonia only do it to make money - I am sure you could argue this but its just not true

As for expecting a green company to have the deep pockets of the petro chemical industry formed over a hundred years ago* - now that is cloud cuckoo land

* would be interesting to see if the entire renewable industry has made the profits of Shell
jameso

Post by jameso »

Anyone who thinks a large renewables project in the UK is delivered for anything other than the financial return is in cloud cuckoo land.
I wouldn't expect many people to invest in something for pure charity, so that's ok isn't it? They might even have an Yvon Chouinard approach to the business, profit itself isn't a bad thing.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

* would be interesting to see if the entire renewable industry has made the profits of Shell
"The entire renewables industry" includes the likes of BP, Repsol, Exxon-Mobil etc so I doubt profits are thin on the ground tbh. :lol: That's before you get to General Electric, Hitachi, Siemens et al.

riderdown's right - large renewable projects won't even get past the concept stage unless there's high confidence in turning a decent margin with minimal risk. That's also the case for more moderate-sized schemes too ime - the two I've been involved with were backed by DP World (in Dagenham) and Peel (on the Wirral), neither company particularly known for their altruism...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:01 am
"The entire renewables industry" includes the likes of BP, Repsol, Exxon-Mobil etc so I doubt profits are thin on the ground tbh. :lol: That's before you get to General Electric, Hitachi, Siemens et al.

riderdown's right - large renewable projects won't even get past the concept stage unless there's high confidence in turning a decent margin with minimal risk. That's also the case for more moderate-sized schemes too ime - the two I've been involved with were backed by DP World (in Dagenham) and Peel (on the Wirral), neither company particularly known for their altruism...
Steady on there with your voice of reason and balanced comments :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I dont think any of those would be called green companies and are just companies that exist to make profit - hence them not being noted for altruism. They dont really care how they make their money as long as they do make money.
You can compare and contrast with say ecotricity who are a very different beast and are a green company.
For sure ethical companies are a tiny minority of the capitalist world but they are out there- and they dont have the deep pockets of those you mention.
large renewable projects won't even get past the concept stage unless there's high confidence in turning a decent margin with minimal risk.
Indeed its capitalism and non green companies dont do it unless they make money - that is why they are not really green companies. They are trying to make money - if the environment is helped or harmed is not really a consideration its just a numbers game.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Our newest member must be reading this thread and wondering why we're being so horrible to them....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

RIP wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:10 pm Our newest member must be reading this thread and wondering why we're being so horrible to them....
It's ok Reg, i've got their light so could hold them to ransome! :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:47 pm I've never had much time for British Cycling. I'll not go into the reasons here but I reckon I've probably even less time now they've announced Shell as their partner for the next 8 years. :roll:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/63456190

There we go then. Toodle pip old bean.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

When you add up the cost to get rid of him and the top team he brought in BC won't have much change out of a million quid.

And Shell will still be a sponsor
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:07 pm