Calder divide challenge

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rockbus

Calder divide challenge

Post by Rockbus »

I’m contemplating entering this next year. Plan would be to do the gravel blue on my boardman 8.9 adv gravel bike.
Anyone do it last year and able to share some experience? I’m new to all this but hoping entering now will give me the inspiration to get out a lot next year
Also contemplating going up in my campervan and making a long weekend of it so if anyone knows of any camp sites local that’d be great.
redefined_cycles

Re: Calder divide challenge

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Rockbus. I haven't done the Calder Divide but am from nearby and done plenty of mtb stuff around nearby and in the Calder area. I'm almost certain that riding alot of the Calder valley mtb sections on a gravel bike is just asking for trouble. I'd never try it...

Why not get a feel for the area by doing some sections of the ride first before fully comitting to the whole this on a graveller...
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Thanks, I don’t think it’s the actual divide and one of routes is specifically for gravel bikes?
https://www.calderdividetrail.co.uk/bes ... -yorkshire
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Rockbus wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:33 pm Thanks, I don’t think it’s the actual divide and one of routes is specifically for gravel bikes?
https://www.calderdividetrail.co.uk/bes ... -yorkshire
Thanks Rockbus. Sounds like it's gonna be alot of fun :smile:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I did the long route this year and really enjoyed it. Lots of it would be fine on a gravel bike, but some bits wouldn't be much fun at all. It sounds like Adrian has taken the rougher bits out of the gravel ride so I'm sure it'll be great. Get it entered and have a ball :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Anyone know what it would be like as a winter route or doing now ish ?[Gravel but more likely on a MTB]

I realise it will be muddy but is it mainly rideable rather than slogs across peaty boggy moorland now to muddy to be d fun ?