Drop bar bar bags

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

belugabob

Drop bar bar bags

Post by belugabob »

Pretty much all of the bar bags that I've seen have two straps for the bars and one for the headtube. Apart from issues with rubbing on the headtube, I feel that some headtubes just don't have any vertical room at the rear, for the straps, anyway.

I'm toying with an idea that something like a cross between a lioness pouch and a tomcat loop bar (both from Wildcat) but designed to attach to a DrJon strapdeck, and attached to the handlebars via a couple of GFunk clamps would work nicely.

Before I get the sewing machine out, has anybody got any off-the-shelf solutions that I should look at?
fatbikephil

Re: Drop bar bar bags

Post by fatbikephil »

If you have the stack height, try one of these:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... -mm-0-deg/ longer ones also.
Keeps a bar roll of the head tube and should allow a lioness harness to be strapped to it, rather than the fork crown for a solid fit. I use a sweetroll and it fits a treat. I do have a high ride stem and lots of headset spacers though.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:54 pm If you have the stack height, try one of these:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... -mm-0-deg/ longer ones also.
Keeps a bar roll of the head tube and should allow a lioness harness to be strapped to it, rather than the fork crown for a solid fit. I use a sweetroll and it fits a treat. I do have a high ride stem and lots of headset spacers though.
I've already arrived at that solution for my bar roll equipped bike packing bike.

I'm looking for a solution for just day rides, on my new bike, where I'll have a phone, snacks and a light waterproof,
(Also, I don't have the stack height, on the new bike)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Topeak Barloader?
I use mine on the front of a bar roll but also as a separate bag for day rides.
I also have an Ortleib one which is smaller but the metal buckle is a bit more faffy.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:11 pm Topeak Barloader?
I use mine on the front of a bar roll but also as a separate bag for day rides.
I also have an Ortleib one which is smaller but the metal buckle is a bit more faffy.
That Topeka barloader falls squarely into the "strap round headtube" category, so doesn't fit the bill, I'm afraid.

Any idea which Ortlieb bag - there are lots...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:24 pm I've got this one, I like it.
https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/handlebar-pack-qr
That's a bit pricey, and maybe a bit bigger than I had in mind. Will look into it, though - if only to work out what's going on with those straps...🤔
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/accessory-pack+F9952
This one - probably same problem as topeak one. On the cross check the 'head tube' strap goes round the top race of the headset, but I have a high rise stem on this also.
I've a home welded up T piece which I bolt to the fork crown (rigid with mudguard hole) that gets used on the fat bike (ultra short head tube and short stem) which will take a wildcat harness. Never found anything for sale similar...
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I've located a couple of candidate bags - just awaiting some dimensions, to confirm suitability - will keep you posted.