What lights?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rudedog

Re: What lights?

Post by rudedog »

If you want value for money, I’d avoid exposure. I’ve tried an Axxis and Diablo and both were massively underwhelming for the price (I got the Diablo in a sale for £130 which I still thought was poor VFM)

Currently using a Moon Vortex Pro which I bought at the same time as the Diablo, 1300 lumens and cost about £35. Brighter central spot than the Diablo, which I prefer for a helmet light. Run times are also better. You can also easily swap the battery out on the Moon so you could keep a spare in you pack to extend run times if needed.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

rudedog wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:21 pm If you want value for money, I’d avoid exposure. I’ve tried an Axxis and Diablo and both were massively underwhelming for the price (I got the Diablo in a sale for £130 which I still thought was poor VFM)
I'll agree on the Diablo. It throws a really nice light for the size/weight of it, but has nothing like the runtime I expected. 2-3 hours on a high level setting. Pretty poor. Others' experience will vary. My old Exposure Joystick though, it is bloody stonking. Seems to last forever and at the speeds I go these days is more than enough to ride with. And ... and it still manages to serve as a camp light with the plastic defuser cover. Great light.
Last edited by TheBrownDog on Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just going outside ...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

rudedog wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:21 pm If you want value for money, I’d avoid exposure. I’ve tried an Axxis and Diablo and both were massively underwhelming for the price (I got the Diablo in a sale for £130 which I still thought was poor VFM)

Currently using a Moon Vortex Pro which I bought at the same time as the Diablo, 1300 lumens and cost about £35. Brighter central spot than the Diablo, which I prefer for a helmet light. Run times are also better. You can also easily swap the battery out on the Moon so you could keep a spare in you pack to extend run times if needed.
Actually, Moon is a good shout. Had some success with those
Zane

Post by Zane »

Thanks for such a great response. I can see me having to dig deep for an Exposure :???:
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I use one of the G700 lumitact torches that Stu has reviewed as my work torch,it’s used
Nearly every day in all weathers, a charge lasts that long I normally can’t find the charger
When I need it :roll: , it’s been dropped,bashed and lugged round everyday in my edc kit
Best £20 I’ve ever spent :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I made do for years with varying degrees of Chinese light quality/lack of. As has been stated the light units are usually okay and you can pick up a better UK battery. This culminated with a Fluxient light of semi decent quality which was very good for riding local trails. The problem came when I wanted longer run times for bikepacking which required a lower power setting.
Eventually I splashed out on an Exposure Toro (factory second direct from Exposure, so slightly cheaper). It's been a revelation with the ability to change the program allowing me to use it on lower settings for riding in the dark and as a camp light with diffuser on while bikepacking or turn it up for riding local techy trails at night. I even use it for riding in daylight under heavy tree cover on techy stuff at this time of year. It wasn't cheap but is so well thought out and well packaged that it's been worth it imho. I can't see me buying anything else in the foreseeable future (except maybe a Joystick to helmet mount as well when riding techy stuff).
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I bought a cheap light from Planet X (I imagine it would have originated in China), it was ok for a few months then started to play up. To be fair to Planet X, they offered a refund or replacement so I took the refund and bought a mtb batteries light which has been great.

I don't think it's worth going too cheap, having to ride twenty miles, in my case, down pitch black lanes to get home wasn't fun.
Zane

Post by Zane »

Appreciate all the replies.
I’ve gone for moon vortex pro for helmet mount as I can carry spare batts

Still undecided on Main bar mounted light tho.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You don't have to have both. I often just ride with a helmet light. Prefer it as it is always pointed where I'm looking rather than in the direction the bars are facing.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Agreed off-road a helmet is more important on the road or drops I much prefer bar
Dean

Post by Dean »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:05 pm You don't have to have both. I often just ride with a helmet light. Prefer it as it is always pointed where I'm looking rather than in the direction the bars are facing.
Off-road I like to have a small light on the bars and main light on helmet, so when I am looking around at speed there I can see constant light on the front wheel in my peripheral vision. Low speed it isn't necessary to have both.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I definitely prefer both. I have the incredible Exposure 6 pack on the bars, on 'low' on the road/gravel tracks then as appropriate on singletrack, plus a aging set of AYUPS on the helmet.
I like the constant light on the bars but love the 'in fill' provided by the helmet lights, especially on nadgery singletrack.
Depends what and where you're riding tbh.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Another shout for exposure.

I went all out for the 6pack. Not for the lumens which are mad, but I use it also as a powerbank.

So run it on lower power and charge phone from the light.

That worked a treat up in Scotland earlier this year.