Organised bikepacking trips? Or anyone interested in small group ride

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rockbus

Organised bikepacking trips? Or anyone interested in small group ride

Post by Rockbus »

I know most on here will be well beyond this but does anyone know of or preferably have experienced of organised small group trips?
I really want to do some bikepacking next year but am still a bit nervous about going out and doing it alone. I’ve no issues with getting myself to the relevant fitness levels and a basic amount of kit but the idea of just heading out for the first time seems rather daunting.

Alternatively, if there are any others in same boat or just someone/few people interested in heading out with a beginner to help me learn the ropes then please get in touch (I’m based in Midlands but happy to travel).

Ps won’t be going until next year as want my first few goes to at least have a chance of dry/warmer weather!
whitestone

Re: Organised bikepacking trips? Or anyone interested in small group ride

Post by whitestone »

I suppose the nearest to "official" guided/organised rides are the Lonely Hearts Club on the WRT (Welsh Ride Thing) but that's a while away now. Reg should be along with more details about that. Midlands is a big area but there's a few on here that might consider themselves to be so based.

Understandable that it's a bit daunting heading out for the first time but it's one of those things whose bark is worse than its bite :wink: Often it's the fear of being discovered bivvying/camping where you shouldn't but on one of your day rides if you see somewhere that you think might be a good bivy spot, just head over and sit there and see if anyone who walks/rides/drives past actually notices you - it's pretty rare that they do.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mmm, yes, if you can hold out until next April the 'Welsh Ride Thing' would fit the bill admirably. Probably a little early to go into any details but you'd be guaranteed a good time - possibly a life-changing time :smile: - in a chilled friendly atmosphere with like-minded souls from here.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's like night riding solo you can understand why folk are worried by it but you get used to it.
As for bikepacking I always say if , at night you saw a tent would you a look and walk away or go on and explore...everyone would just walk away.*
We have also done the have you ever been disturbed and I believe the answer is never go bikepacking with Mike. Mike from Bromsgrove :lol:

I am past Manchester so no use for you

* I snore and always worry folk could hear me and then find me.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Not sure the WRT would be the best option for a first trip. You need to get some gear together and just get out: seriously, you are the scariest thing in the woods and, as Laz says, even if discovered folk will give you a wide berth. Unless they have two big black labs. If they have two big black labs the dog will charge into you bivvy all waggy tails and slobbery tongue and muddy paws. Such fun 😀
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Try these? https://www.adventurepedlars.com/
Pete's a good guy so can offer help and advice as well as paid courses.
For DIY, pitch up in your garden a few times to sort your kit. Then put kit on the bike and go for a ride, then put kit on the bike, go for a ride and pitch up somewhere in daylight. Then do an overnighter to a spot you've scoped out in daylight.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I sometimes wonder whether an 'organised' or guided trip is the best thing for calming nerves. My reason for saying that is that often they address peoples anxiety by simply removing the cause of that anxiety. That's brilliant if all you really want to do is put a tick next to a list but still leaves people with ultimately having to make that 'leap of faith'.

I tend to think that going out with a small group of more experienced folk is the best way forward as you see it how it really is without the edges polished off. That will likely furnish you with more knowledge and a better idea when you go solo ... also, it's usually a good laugh too. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

As has been said, its worth having a night or two in your garden. It feels safer and it gives you a better idea if your sleeping bag and mat are going to be warm enough. It's what I did. Also I think it's worth being flexible with the weather, you can get lovely days in the middle of winter, as long as you have an appropriate sleep system you'll be fine :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Have a look at Pannier.cc They only have a couple of UK trips on their site currently as I believe Covid has affected tours. The Scottish trip, held last month, sounded nice.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about a trip using campsites? Certainly removes the werewolf / angry farmer / axe murderer anxieties?
Verena

Post by Verena »

Agree with what's been said about just going out there and having a go, possibly somewhere very safe/close/ in the garden.

This one might be of interest, as the actual event, or the routes can be downloaded and ridden any time, and there's a campsite at the beach I believe with a pub nearby.

https://surfnturf.bike/
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Thanks for all the responses..think the general message is to just get out there!
Definitely interested in joining the group at Welsh Ride Thing having watched the videos. so will aim to get myself sorted by then.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I'm south midlands, near Redditch if that's any help, I have one spot that's really good with no murders atall!
Could go for a spin and show you if you like?
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

trob6 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:33 pm I'm south midlands, near Redditch if that's any help, I have one spot that's really good with no murders atall!
Could go for a spin and show you if you like?
Tim.
I’m Leamington so not far away…but now you’ve got me very nervous 😬😀
Meg Pugh

Post by Meg Pugh »

https://bikepackingbuds.com/

Heard good things from people new to this... are on social media so lots of info there.
I think people can post their planned trips and you can join/work it out yourself
Pannier used to run trips iirc
Karl

Post by Karl »

Rockbus if you fancy a bikepacking trip (1 night/multiple nights) around the peak district just drop me a private message. Always happy to introduce folks to sleeping outdoors with the wild life.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Obviously, there's also a board here entitled 'Anyone playing out' :wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I think every bikepacking trip I've been on has been organised via this board. We have met up in Cannock a couple of times in the past though not for a couple of years now.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Meg Pugh wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:21 pm https://bikepackingbuds.com/

Heard good things from people new to this... are on social media so lots of info there.
I think people can post their planned trips and you can join/work it out yourself
Pannier used to run trips iirc
Nice idea, just a shame that they are promoting camp fires on several of their pages
And only 2 posts on their FB page in the last month.