Carbon (walking) pole repair?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Carbon (walking) pole repair?

Post by AlasdairMc »

Given the fondness for carbon on here, I figured it’s as good a place as any to ask.

I’ve snapped a Black Diamond Carbon Z pole, almost all the way round. It’s now more of an M pole than Z, but it’s still connected. Does anyone recommend a DIY repair kit so I can get using this again? I’ve been quoted £110 to replace the poles (both of them) so anything considerably cheaper than this would be good. I was thinking of sanding down to the raw carbon, then wrapping in epoxy-soaked carbon cloth. I don’t know if a sleeved repair would work as the pole appears to taper.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Carbon (walking) pole repair?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was thinking of sanding down to the raw carbon, then wrapping in epoxy-soaked carbon cloth.
That's likely all you can do Alasdair. You could potentially add some additional strength by cutting a v down the length of a piece of tube (so it'll conform to the taper) and bonding / wrapping that on.
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:10 am
I was thinking of sanding down to the raw carbon, then wrapping in epoxy-soaked carbon cloth.
That's likely all you can do Alasdair. You could potentially add some additional strength by cutting a v down the length of a piece of tube (so it'll conform to the taper) and bonding / wrapping that on.
Thanks Stu. Good plan re the v, as a walking pole’s integrity is quite critical! I don’t have much luck with breaking things, although it’s normally frames…
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Stu, this has got to be a potential income stream,eh bloke? You made me a couple of poles for a Lunar Duo some years back, and they actually served my daughter as trekking poles for a few good long walks on some big hills, what with big rubbery tips from the Amazon and handles I removed from some old ski poles. Go on, man.
I'm just going outside ...
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I'm not sure I'd trust a repair on a walking pole, but I often use mine to pole vault bogs of doom
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, this has got to be a potential income stream,eh bloke? You made me a couple of poles for a Lunar Duo some years back, and they actually served my daughter as trekking poles for a few good long walks on some big hills, what with big rubbery tips from the Amazon and handles I removed from some old ski poles. Go on, man.
Someone asked me to make them a hiking staff last year but the cost of materials (sizes) that I'd be happy using, make the cost prohibitive unless someone is very keen or wants something very specific. BTW, your warranties ended :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Do BD not so the sections separate?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

GregMay wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:48 pm Do BD not so the sections separate?
Sadly not - as a Z pole it’s three interconnected sections with a glued cable running through it all.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Surely , fleaBay has another , from some one not as resourceful as you?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

AlasdairMc wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:38 pm
GregMay wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:48 pm Do BD not so the sections separate?
Sadly not - as a Z pole it’s three interconnected sections with a glued cable running through it all.
Must be different to the alu ones I have then, you can split the segments to repair from what I remember.