Flying Easy Jet with gas cannister/CO2/meths in hold bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

Flying Easy Jet with gas cannister/CO2/meths in hold bag

Post by padonbike »

Hi I've been dragged kicking and screaming from my Cairngorms comfort zone to do the Montanas Vacias bikepacking trail in Spain at the end of October.
It's a long time since I've taken a bike on a plane and I've never taken a bike + bikepacking kit in a bike bag so I would like to know what I can put in the the bike bag that will be going in the hold.

Therefore, it would be helpful if people could answer the following based on their ACTUAL EXPERIENCE - not looking for internet opinionistas thanks :wink:
1) can I take a small gas stove in hold luggage that has been previously used?
2) can I take a small propane/butane gas cannister in hold luggage?
3) can I take small CO2 (one or two) in my hold luggage?
4) Can I take meths in a secure container in hold luggage? (I'm assuming I can take a meths stove)

Thanks
johnnystorm

Re: Flying Easy Jet with gas cannister/CO2/meths in hold bag

Post by johnnystorm »

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

1)yes
2)no
3)no
4)definitely no
If you want me to sort 2,3 and 4 happy to do so. What day do you arrive? If Sunday, could be a problem but Decathlon do 2, bike shops do 3 and Chinese shops do 4
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

You 100% can never take gas on a plane
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Yes to the first. Absolutely not on the others
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:48 pm 1)yes
2)no
3)no
4)definitely no
If you want me to sort 2,3 and 4 happy to do so. What day do you arrive? If Sunday, could be a problem but Decathlon do 2, bike shops do 3 and Chinese shops do 4
So are you over there in Spain? We arrive Saturday 22 Oct mid morning Madrid and are driving over to start at Zaorejas as this is 100km less drive than Teruel.
Hopefully there is a Decathlon east of Madrid on the way to Zaorejas, but haven't checked this yet. We're planning to be in a refuge after riding 30kms out of Zaorejas on that first Saturday so do definitely need a gas cannister on Saturday.
If can get gas cannister then not bothered about meths and we'll bring good pump and lots of sealant to hopefully negate need for co2.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Yes, I live about 3 hours from Teruel. Your best bet is to go from the airport to the Decathlon store at San Fernando de Henares which is about 10 minutes away. You will definitely not find anything in Zaorejas, in fact there will be bugger all until you get around to Valverde. I'd also stock up on Decathlon fruit bars, you'll get screw type stove gas canisters there as well as the ones for tyre inflation. Guess you're planning to sleep at Valsalobre, it's one of the better refuges used by cavers. You'll get food in Bateta on Sunday morning but there's not much from there on until Zafrilla and Bar Papi.
jameso

Post by jameso »

1) Make sure it's clean and doesn't smell of fuel. If it does and they search your kit it may not go. I'd pack it with the bike, but it may be ok.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

You can take CO2 cannisters in your carry-on bag, I have several times. I've checked with security and its fine. If I recall correctly there's something about being allowed to carry additional CO2 cartridges for lifejackets.
All the same cannisters.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've taken a small amount of meths previously but I'm naughty :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

rufus748 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:41 am You can take CO2 cannisters in your carry-on bag, I have several times. I've checked with security and its fine. If I recall correctly there's something about being allowed to carry additional CO2 cartridges for lifejackets.
All the same cannisters.
If you follow the link johhnystorm posted (though heavenforbid he wasn't doing what the OP wanted :roll: :wink: :lol:) it seems to be covered by the section on "Small Non-flammable Gas Cylinders":
Small non flammable gas cylinders, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up two (2) small cylinders fitted into a life jacket, and up to two (2) spare cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cylinders up to 50 ml water capacity for other devices.
I was puzzled by others saying they weren't permitted but as I have no direct experience was terrified to bring it up until someone else mentioned it. The bold is my emphasis as it is worded in a way that if skim-reading you might mistake it for just applying to life jackets. Not sure what "Division 2.2" is but FWIK of lifejackets they take the same as a CO2 inflator.

:cool:

Edit - the aforementioned permitted in hold and cabin baggage.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I've had CO2 confiscated from my bike bag flying Easyjet to Mallorca, tbh I'd had a cannister in my seat pack for ages and forgotten it was there. You'll definitely get CO2 in Decathlon and as you're going there to get cooking gas, seems not worth the hassle of breaking open your carefully packed bike when it shows up on the xray.
This is the type of propane cannister they sell jn Decathlon, maybe all red but same contents and valve
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I've been questioned about what kind of kind of chain lube I had in a bottle in the bike box that showed up in the xray at Manchester. " Mineral or synthetic " they asked. 50/50 chance of getting it wrong. I was so flustered I forget which answer I gave but it satisfied them and the box went unmolested.
On subsequent flights I put chain lube, tubeless latex, and any other small bottle of liquid inside a wide mouth Kleen Kanteen firmly strapped to the bike.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:05 am
If you follow the link johhnystorm posted (though heavenforbid he wasn't doing what the OP wanted :roll: :wink: :lol:) it seems to be covered by the section on "Small Non-flammable Gas Cylinders":
Au contraire, my personal experience was to ask the airline, pointless asking other's experience as things change.

Heck, I went to America way back when and I didn't even have to take my shoes off in security... :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

On my first flight within the US, I was able to walk right up to the gate with no security checks whatsoever. Alas, that changed a couple of months later when people decided to fly planes into very large buildings.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I've lost a multitool (that I'd carried on a number of other flights) from my carry-on bag at Bristol airport the other week; apparently an allen key or chain splitter is ok but a philips screwdriver is considered a 'weapon' *sigh*.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

According to the CAA website stoves are banned but in dozens of flights I've never had a problem with carrying on in a checked backpack or in with the bike in a bikebox.

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/before ... ned-items/
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:53 pm Yes, I live about 3 hours from Teruel. Your best bet is to go from the airport to the Decathlon store at San Fernando de Henares which is about 10 minutes away. You will definitely not find anything in Zaorejas, in fact there will be bugger all until you get around to Valverde. I'd also stock up on Decathlon fruit bars, you'll get screw type stove gas canisters there as well as the ones for tyre inflation. Guess you're planning to sleep at Valsalobre, it's one of the better refuges used by cavers. You'll get food in Bateta on Sunday morning but there's not much from there on until Zafrilla and Bar Papi.
Hi mate, that is incredibly useful, saved my googling lots od Spanish Decathlon stores - the one you suggest is just 6 km from aeroporto so couldn't be better.
Yes 30km ride to Valsalobre for the Saturday night. Yep saw there is supplies just 6 km down the hill the next morning.
I'm a bit worried about the weather high up and tracking Teruel (900M) but it's going to be 26C later this week and night time around 7, so as long as it doesn't drop too much next 4 weeks.
We're planning Tu 25 Oct as 160km 3000m to arrive Teruel (traditionally the final stage)
I've checked the details of the pdf so know what NOT to expect for a few hours, but it can't be much worse than the Contin to Drumbeg stretch on the Highland Trail!
Thanks again for your great info on the ground.
And thanks to everyone else: the long and short of it is, I won't risk taking anything apart from stove and will go straight to Decathlon!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

160km is ambitious on this terrain, are you flying back on Saturday 29th? We did the whole original route in 61/2 days and it was quite tough. I had to bail on day 6 due to a cracked frame but have since ridden the Gudar section a couple of times, the rest of the group slept at the campsite at Alcala de la Selva and rode down to Teruel on the last day. One word of advice, as you're starting from Zaorejas, if you're running behind schedule and need to chop out a bit, the section along the Rio Tajo from Perelejos de las Truchas to Zaorejas is, in my opinion, the most scenic of the trip so it may be better to miss the northern loop after Bronchales instead. Have you anything booked in Teruel, there's a recreation area just before (5km) you get to Dinopolis that has shelter that you can bivvy under, we were there in May and phoned Telepizza who delivered to there :-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:45 pm 160km is ambitious on this terrain, are you flying back on Saturday 29th? We did the whole original route in 61/2 days and it was quite tough. I had to bail on day 6 due to a cracked frame but have since ridden the Gudar section a couple of times, the rest of the group slept at the campsite at Alcala de la Selva and rode down to Teruel on the last day. One word of advice, as you're starting from Zaorejas, if you're running behind schedule and need to chop out a bit, the section along the Rio Tajo from Perelejos de las Truchas to Zaorejas is, in my opinion, the most scenic of the trip so it may be better to miss the northern loop after Bronchales instead. Have you anything booked in Teruel, there's a recreation area just before (5km) you get to Dinopolis that has shelter that you can bivvy under, we were there in May and phoned Telepizza who delivered to there :-bd
Yep flying back on Sat 29, when the hour changes I believe and we actually need to be in Madrid the Friday night as morning flight. I agree it is a bit of a tough schedule, but the guy I'm doing it with has done Cairngorms Loop under 24h recently and is in HT550 next year; I'm a fraction of my former self but still able to push it and to be honest I'll probably be quite motivated out there.
But we will evaluate the route as we're going and will make route amendments as weather (or exhaustion) dictates.
Thanks for the advice on a possible route cut will bear that in mind. I'm looking at the map - I guess you mean just ride straight from Broncales to Paralejos on the road???
Nothing booked anywhere, but planning refuge Sat night, maybe Monday (Rabadda y Navarro), maybe Wd ref Forestal 5km past Naciemento del Tajo, and possibly Thurs ref Falaguera 10 k before Zaorejas.
Probabaly paid accomodation in Teruel but will bear your bivvy recommendation in mind - thanks.
I'll actually message you my plan so far - it's not carved in stone, but at least you'll see I'm not taking it for granted!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Philip, I've replied to your PM, good bedtime reading
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:42 am I've taken a small amount of meths previously but I'm naughty :wink:
I've got a couple of stories, but don't dare to tell them here...
Just being very naughty and lucky.

My experience is that used gas, meths or multi fuel stoves are okay - never an issue.
But in about 1 of 10 times I get called thanks to the used fuel bottle for the multifuel stove.
Clean it well, air it. Put some backing powder (soda) in it, shake well and let rest for a day. Add a little water, shake well, let rest, rinse, dry, fly. Pack at top of luggage in case they need to see it. Don't always listen to music pre flight so you don't miss when being called out.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Not actually related but I had two jars of Promite confiscated by the friendly and very helpful folk at Sydney Airport recently. Promite is the worlds best yeast extract. Kicks Marmite and Vegemite into the weeds. My fault. Should have gone into the hold bag. I hope they enjoyed it.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:27 pm Not actually related but I had two jars of Promite confiscated by the friendly and very helpful folk at Sydney Airport recently. Promite is the worlds best yeast extract. Kicks Marmite and Vegemite into the weeds. My fault. Should have gone into the hold bag. I hope they enjoyed it.
To be fair to them, "Promite" does sound like some sort of explosive.

Got any left to bring to our Chilterns Spring Thing (*) for sampling? We could have a blind taste test or summat.

(*) note for others: naturally this is being held in October.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Reg, mate, the face on the security bloke as he removed the Promite from my bag. He was obviously a fellow Promiter and knew how much this meant to me, especially when I explained the background. I was so disappointed I forgot to collect my boots from the x-ray and wandered off in my socks.

It's silly expensive in the UK, but I have just ordered three little jars of it from the internet and it is costing me £17.50. That is five times the price of it in Australia, where everything is better (except the racism, homophobia and misogyny .. that's all completely off the scale terrible.) Cheap widely available Promite only makes up for that by just a little bit

It is highly unlikely there will be any left come the October version of the Chilterns Spring Thing, but I do like the idea of a blind taste test "mite-off". Marmite vs Vegemite vs Promite vs Tesco's own brand yeast extract, which is quite excellent and 1/3rd the price of t'others. They are all suitable for vegetabalarians and, I think, even the veganistas. Leave it with me.
I'm just going outside ...