Sticky BB

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Sticky BB

Post by Shewie »

Lubing up before a ride this morning my BB wasn't happy about something, I could barely back pedal to lube the chain.
I was in two minds whether to abandon the ride but in the end I thought sod it and set off anyway, I was waiting for a spectacular failure but after a few rotations it seemed to sort itself out.

Should I take this as a warning that it's about to blob on me, I'm probably nearing 2000 km on that BB

If I should replace it, how do I know what spec I need, I've slipped up in the past buying the wrong one.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sticky BB

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd certainly think about replacing it but given the difficulty in back pedalling, I'd also firstly check it's not the freewheel sticking.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Could be a few things.

Freewheel as Stu notes
I’ve had the jockey wheels on two derailleurs seize this year.

Easy to check if it’s the BB by taking the chain off the chainring and then seeing how freely the cranks spin.

BB “standards” are a nightmare especially if you have a Pressfit one.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Sorry chaps should've said, I locked the rear mech and popped the chain of the front ring after checking a few other things, I did think it was a jockey wheel at first, so yeah definitely the BB

It's really weird, it's normally smooth and pretty much silent, it was fine last time I was out about 10 days ago

I got back from my ride this morning and it's spinning freely again, no noise or hint of any grinding :???: I'll probably buy a replacement once I've worked out what I need.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Silky smooth? No notchyness ?

I've certainly had bbs go stiff in the past, they don't usually come completely back to life tho, at least not without some sign of notchyness

Want any help figuring out what it is?
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

FLV wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:38 pm Silky smooth? No notchyness ?

I've certainly had bbs go stiff in the past, they don't usually come completely back to life tho, at least not without some sign of notchyness

Want any help figuring out what it is?
I'd say as smooth as it's ever been, it's very odd

Any pointers in figuring out a replacement would be much appreciated, all I know at the moment is the one that's in is made by Token and I've got SRAM Force 1 GXP crankset, I'll have a closer look at the existing one tomorrow in better light and see what it says.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you've a GXP crankset then your options are limited. I think Praxis do a BB for that spindle and Hope do a converter for their BB models. I'm assuming it's a threaded BB shell.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That happened to me once - I broke a new BB lifespan record - one ride. It had gotten water in it and siezed between rides - probably just a couple of the bearings that were sat at the bottom of the race. After a bit of persuasion it freed off and spun OK (ish) but soon after started making horrible noises and so got binned. If it's spinning Ok, you've nowt to lose by keeping on using it until it wears out.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Thanks folks

Done some reading and I think I'll give the Praxis a shot, it seems their M24 is the one I need ...

https://www.merlincycles.com/praxis-m24 ... 28976.html

Just need to use the thicker dust caps with my 1x setup
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

New BB arrived this morning, just managed to fit it in between wok video meetings :grin:

The old one was in a bit of a state on the drive side, really cruddy under the dust cap and on the bearing surface, not sure what happened there, maybe I didn't get everything snug after changing my front chainring

Thanks again folks :-bd