Riding on Monday?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Riding on Monday?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:30 pm
Club have now announced that if we do our own rides, we shouldn't wear club kit. Luckily I don't have any anyway
I genuinely find that somewhat sad.

Whereas me, I shall use it as an opportunity to wear my spare 'John Climber' jersey. :-bd
Can we all get a John Climber jersey pls Stu.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's probably a very good idea Shaf :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

What do they look like?
I'll wear my BB jersey with pride :grin:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:30 pm
Club have now announced that if we do our own rides, we shouldn't wear club kit. Luckily I don't have any anyway
I genuinely find that somewhat sad.

Whereas me, I shall use it as an opportunity to wear my spare 'John Climber' jersey. :-bd
Is that pre-order like the BB jersey's, can't find them on the shop page though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a special one I had made on a run a couple of years back. Rather than my name, I had John's put on the back ... I keep it for those special times. :wink:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Think you need to do a re-run then, that'll be a massive order.
redefined_cycles

Edit - delete.
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Outrageous. I shall be out cycling but doffing my cycling cap at all social betters
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

yourguitarhero wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:32 pm Outrageous. I shall be out cycling but doffing my cycling cap at all social betters
Gravel bikers :???: Each to their own...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Edit - delete.
I'm looking to do the North Peaks 100 as part of the build up to BB200, a copy of the GPX would be helpful
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

M’eh!

I’m off the Centre Parc to watch them lock down the forests and boot everyone out whilst the funeral is on :???:
redefined_cycles

riderdown wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:48 pm
Edit - delete.
I'm looking to do the North Peaks 100 as part of the build up to BB200, a copy of the GPX would be helpful
Hi RiderDown. Indeed, let me find a thread with it in...
redefined_cycles

riderdown wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:48 pm
Edit - delete.
All info contained in first post on this thread. Let me know if you plan to go on Monday. I might see you out there somewhere :-bd

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17445&hilit=NorthPeaks100
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’m off the Centre Parc to watch them lock down the forests and boot everyone out whilst the funeral is on
I've just read that they've changed their minds .... I should hope so really. :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I hope this doesn't offend or upset anyone because that's not my intention but I've just read that an estimated 400,000 people will attempt to see the Queen's body with a potential 30 hour waiting time to stand in line. Why? Why would someone do that? I find it hard to believe that for many, it's any other reason than so they can simply tell people "I saw the Queen's body" like it's some kind of weird bucket list item. Mind is boggled.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Same when she was in Edinburgh Stu - thousands of people lined up to see her. Let the poor girl go to her rest I'd say instead of turning it into some Lenin-esque circus...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:50 pm with a potential 30 hour waiting time
If you make it in under 24 hrs you get a black badge :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Centre Parc and British Cycling's fuckwittery is better known as virtue signalling, standing in line for 30 hours is better known as respect. One of those terrorist vs freedom fighter conundrums.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:50 pm I hope this doesn't offend or upset anyone because that's not my intention but I've just read that an estimated 400,000 people will attempt to see the Queen's body with a potential 30 hour waiting time to stand in line. Why? Why would someone do that? I find it hard to believe that for many, it's any other reason than so they can simply tell people "I saw the Queen's body" like it's some kind of weird bucket list item. Mind is boggled.
I’m happy to state that this behaviour is utterly alien to me. I am prepared to offend by stating that I am not and have never been the “subject” of some unelected rich person. I have no respect for authority that I had no part in shaping. So come and arrest me now. I’m afraid that to me I see millions of people on either a grief tourism high or happy with their subjugation.

Sorry about that. Not even been drinking.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

^^^ disappointing lack of swearing
If you make it in under 24 hrs you get a black badge
APPLAUDS - that was just beautiful and got proper laughter from me
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:50 pm I hope this doesn't offend or upset anyone because that's not my intention but I've just read that an estimated 400,000 people will attempt to see the Queen's body with a potential 30 hour waiting time to stand in line. Why? Why would someone do that? I find it hard to believe that for many, it's any other reason than so they can simply tell people "I saw the Queen's body" like it's some kind of weird bucket list item. Mind is boggled.
tbf there's a wristband system whereby once you've got one you can go off to eat/drink/be merry and then go back to join your place in the queue so it's not quite as extreme as it sounds.

As for "Why?", I rarely try to understand people's motives tbh. Loads of people would ask "Why?" would you want to ride a bike with wet feet and cold hands to go and "sleep" in a ditch in the rain under a nylon tarp, and it would be a struggle to adequately explain that. By any metric it's equally as weird. :lol:

For the overwhelming majority of people from the UK the queen has been a constant in their lives. A lot of those people have had no other constants in their lives and to them she was a sort of emotional anchor so I can understand people feeling grief. And everyone deals with grief differently so I'd be loathe to judge anyone. Not something I'd do mind.

Full disclaimer: I did once queue for 10 hours for a royal event - a Prince gig at Manchester Academy :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:55 pm As for "Why?", I rarely try to understand people's motives tbh. Loads of people would ask "Why?" would you want to ride a bike with wet feet and cold hands to go and "sleep" in a ditch in the rain under a nylon tarp, and it would be a struggle to adequately explain that. By any metric it's equally as weird. :lol:
Touche! :grin:
I did once queue for 10 hours for a royal event - a Prince gig
:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:14 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:50 pm with a potential 30 hour waiting time
If you make it in under 24 hrs you get a black badge :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:55 pm For the overwhelming majority of people from the UK the queen has been a constant in their lives. A lot of those people have had no other constants in their lives and to them she was a sort of emotional anchor so I can understand people feeling grief. And everyone deals with grief differently so I'd be loathe to judge anyone. Not something I'd do mind.

Full disclaimer: I did once queue for 10 hours for a royal event - a Prince gig at Manchester Academy :cool:
I’m 100% not loathe to judge both them and some bloke who queues up for a falsetto Jimmy Hendricks
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you make it in under 24 hrs you get a black badge
:grin:
Loads of people would ask "Why?" would you want to ride a bike with wet feet and cold hands to go and "sleep" in a ditch in the rain under a nylon tarp, and it would be a struggle to adequately explain that. By any metric it's equally as weird.
Oh yes. 'Tis true.
For the overwhelming majority of people from the UK the queen has been a constant in their lives. A lot of those people have had no other constants in their lives and to them she was a sort of emotional anchor so I can understand people feeling grief. And everyone deals with grief differently so I'd be loathe to judge anyone. Not something I'd do mind.
Sorry if I came across as 'judgy' - I have an inquisitive mind and like to know how things (including people) work. It's something of a burden really, as I mostly find myself bewildered and continually more confused. :wink:
grief tourism
I like that. Kind of captures it nicely.