Another 'new' Cycling UK route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Another 'new' Cycling UK route

Post by summittoppler »

This time, Snowdonia. You can expect big scenery and some big climbs. Given the lack of legal routes Cycling UK can promote, it does look good. And it starts/finishes just 1 mile from me in Conwy.
It is at the proposal stage, whatever that means but it does look pretty good tbf

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/21 ... 7d6719f057
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
fatbikephil

Re: Another 'new' Cycling UK route

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks interesting with even a hint of tussocks!
Quite good layout of the website too
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh, there's a few 2014 BB200 bits in there :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:54 pm Ooh, there's a few 2014 BB200 bits in there :-bd
And some of 2019
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think I trudged some bogs around that part of Trawsfyndd last year.. looks like a good route and I trust they'll do better I that area than I did :)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Surely that's crying out for looping back to Mach. Maybe across to the Clwyds, down through the Berwyns?
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

That's the route I'll be riding in a few weeks! Got a sneaky preview from a mate in the business.
Plan on riding north to south and incorporating a trip up Snowdon.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Seeing as we have some locals on here. 100mm full suss, or rigid 29er? Have both and love them equally.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Seeing as we have some locals on here. 100mm full suss, or rigid 29er? Have both and love them equally.
It really is a case of you'll have the wrong bike 50% of the time, so no right or wrong.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just thinking about this and the mention of 'consultation'. Why? The majority of the route uses RoW that have existed for years. Anyone could go and ride it tomorrow and many BB veterans will likely have ridden much already. Why do they need a consultation? Is it a box ticking exercise because NRW are involved or are they planning on erecting signage and altering what's already in place on the ground?

BTW - Mach' isn't in Snowdonia :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:09 am Just thinking about this and the mention of 'consultation'. Why? The majority of the route uses RoW that have existed for years. Anyone could go and ride it tomorrow and many BB veterans will likely have ridden much already. Why do they need a consultation? Is it a box ticking exercise because NRW are involved or are they planning on erecting signage and altering what's already in place on the ground?

Maybe just to hone the rider experience?

TBH I really support Cycling UK in this work as I think they are using it as a base to gain us more access. They are trying to get more riders out on backcountry routes to counter the criticism that its only a few idiots who do it therefore don't bother opening up RoWs to cyclists. The KAW is a massive success and riders I know who would never ever have considered a multi-day offroad ride have/are thinking about giving it a go.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Stu wrote: BTW - Mach' isn't in Snowdonia :wink:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowdonia

That green bit at the bottom looks suspiciously Mach-like to me :wink: . I wouldn't have thought it. I once read somewhere that someone thought Pumlumon was in Snowdonia!
Dave wrote: TBH I really support Cycling UK in this work as I think they are using it as a base to gain us more access. They are trying to get more riders out on backcountry routes to counter the criticism that its only a few idiots who do it therefore don't bother opening up RoWs to cyclists. The KAW is a massive success and riders I know who would never ever have considered a multi-day offroad ride have/are thinking about giving it a go.
As a die-hard rebel against 'Routes' (*) even I have to admit that this is a very good point well made....

(*) in 60 years of biking I've only ever done the TransCam and even that was only because I was roped in on the promise of a beer at the end - where of course there's no pub anyway.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Snowdonia starts the over side of the Dyfi Reg - just over the bridge. I'm surprised you've not noticed the 'welcome to Snowdonia' signs :wink:
Surely that's crying out for looping back to Mach. Maybe across to the Clwyds, down through the Berwyns?
You could easily(ish) tag the Offa's Byke route on. You'd need a couple of linking sections but they'd be straightforward.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

The end point in Conwy is outside the National Park boundary too, but I suppose that's the point in a route that crosses somewhere.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:09 am Just thinking about this and the mention of 'consultation'. Why? The majority of the route uses RoW that have existed for years. Anyone could go and ride it tomorrow and many BB veterans will likely have ridden much already. Why do they need a consultation? Is it a box ticking exercise because NRW are involved or are they planning on erecting signage and altering what's already in place on the ground?
I guess they are looking for us die hards to feedback on whether a section is rubbish or not? Or if they need to add in more tussocks! Thinking about the chat on the Norfolk route mebbes they want to know about bits that you'll get shouted at. You could offer consultancy services Stu!

I wondered about it only being a one way rather than a loop but I guess they are trying to encourage people to access it by public transport and that's not a bad way to do it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:09 am BTW - Mach' isn't in Snowdonia :wink:
See also the Second City Divide :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I seem to remember there was a survey asking various people which was England's second city. Brummies said Brum, Mancunians Manchester, folk from Leeds chose Leeds etc.

Scousers said London.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:01 am

Maybe just to hone the rider experience?

TBH I really support Cycling UK in this work as I think they are using it as a base to gain us more access. They are trying to get more riders out on backcountry routes to counter the criticism that its only a few idiots who do it therefore don't bother opening up RoWs to cyclists. The KAW is a massive success and riders I know who would never ever have considered a multi-day offroad ride have/are thinking about giving it a go.
I was out riding above Malham at the weekend and there was a lad riding Land’s End to JoG via the GB Divide route as a tour. He’d done the Great North Trail previously so these “official” routes do get done.

When we did the KAW there were loads doing it and obviously you don’t see those in front or behind riding at a similar pace.

For the posher “tramp” having a route that passes regular supply and camping spots is a big draw.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think folk are perhaps misunderstanding me - I get all the reasons why CUK produce routes and why people ride them but why the need for a public consultation ... in my experience, it tends to indicate that you're expecting some form of objection. The route already exists, there's nothing new. Someone has simply plotted it and given it a name.

I could be wrong but I don't recall other CUK routes having a consultation ......... or is that the reason this is?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It’s most likely to get views on whether there are better alternatives. Better as in better riding or perhaps less contentious or avoid a rare nesting bird (the HT550 avoids the area just north of Corrimony bothy for just this reason)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:34 am I think folk are perhaps misunderstanding me - I get all the reasons why CUK produce routes and why people ride them but why the need for a public consultation ... in my experience, it tends to indicate that you're expecting some form of objection. The route already exists, there's nothing new. Someone has simply plotted it and given it a name.

I could be wrong but I don't recall other CUK routes having a consultation ......... or is that the reason this is?
"Cycling UK is working with Natural Resources Wales "

Could be that?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'd suspect it is an exercise dictated in large part by the public body or linked to whatever funding is involved. Having done so avoids post-project criticisms of "we don't want it, no bugger asked us" etc. Gives those in "officialdom" a get-out-of-jail card

It can elicit the odd response that might be of use. I doubt they particularly need route input though if anything significant comes up I imagine they'd pay heed.

Potential problem is that the process can be dominated by vocal, well connected or organised entities. Sometimes positive but also negative (and of course that depends on your position on the proposal) . You have to watch out for the process being overtaken by single, highly polarised views at the expense of a broadly supportive but not particularly vocal "silent majority".

Kieran Foster / Labrat sometimes pops up on here and is usually happy to explain and discuss.

Just my 2p and experience from work / volunteer stuff.
slarge

Post by slarge »

The consultation is standard practice for local/national government and public bodies - it allows everyone to have their say.

There could be a local farmer for instance who has a bridleway on his land, and for the 10 people/year who use it that broken gate / boggy bit / dairy bull in the field is not worth dealing with. However this would allow that farmer to propose an alternative or fix the issue or apply for funding to fix the issue. Also it would remove said farmers opportunity to complain at the hordes of general public now tramping/riding through fields etc.

Plus it does allow the route quality to be improved as existing users can advise of better options.

I think that making it a circular route would make it a far better option - whether that's for logistics planning or bag carrying or whatever. I am wondering whether a trip around November BB200 time is worth considering.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

There's not much of an alternative either as Snowdonia does lack bridleways. Looking at the route It does miss some good bits but the legality of it is not in the favour of CUK. So for that reason there's a few country lanes thrown in to be on the safe side.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:39 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:09 am BTW - Mach' isn't in Snowdonia :wink:
See also the Second City Divide :wink:
Must admit Glasgow and Manchester aren’t in Snowdonia either :wink:

Edit - on a serious note, be a nightmare for trains/transport to the start and finish as you couldn’t use a return ticket, but would need two singles and therefore costing more!