The 'why?'

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rollindoughnut

The 'why?'

Post by rollindoughnut »

Morning all.
I've got to the point now where I've got the 'how' fairly sorted. Can head out for a few days without any concern. What I have been struggling with is my 'why?'

I love riding for hours, I adore nature and the countryside, am perfectly happy in my own company yet also love sharing it with a friend and enjoy the random conversations struck up with strangers en route.
I'm really attracted by the lure of taking on some of the bikepacking races in the UK or Europe, but have been really turned off by all the Internet coverage of: the best, the fastest, the lightest, the least sleep, the winners, the records.... you get what I mean?
I've come from a ten year stretch of racing which I used to enjoy but now find the thought of middle aged men showing off about their times and prowess, distinctly unappealing.
This has put me off entering anything as I worry it'll pollute and spoil a branch of riding that has been so restorative for me over the last few years.

However this is not intended as a rant against bikepacking racing. I still want to do it, I know I'll meet some brilliant people through it and that my concerns won't matter when I'm actually out there.

I had the great fortune to chat for hours with a lady yesterday whilst on a clubrun, who's completed the TCR. She listened to my concerns, then said "I have an answer for you".
"My aim at the TCR was to make the finishers party". "Not only did I fail to do that, but my husband who'd flown out to meet me at the finish, returned home". "Yet it was the best thing I've ever done!"

It was so great to hear her talk of this race and other ambitions. No aspirations to challenge the leaders, just a desire to challenge herself.

I wonder if any of you have further gems to add?

I've entered the Nov BB200. I'm excited about the riding and adventure. I'll go hard and give it a proper effort, but when I imagine pushing on into the dark, (and let's say it's raining hard too), I don't like the thought of carrying on regardless just to stoke my ego. I like the thought of finding a nook to set up a comfortable little camp in, and wriggling my toes in a dry sleeping bag, luxuriating in the creeping warmth that a down bag brings (surely one of lifes greatest pleasures?). I like to imagine then setting off again a few hours before dawn so as to enjoy witnessing first light. I'd hate it if I was sleep deprived and miserable during this experience.

So why even 'race'? Why not just continue bikepacking unrecorded? Honest answer is that I want to meet the people who do these kind of things, and I want a reason to put myself into the biggest landscapes.
My dream is to do the HT550. But I don't want to rush things. I want to enjoy the journey to it. I think events like the YD300 and Cairngorms loop would be more than enough to thrill me for now.

Would love to hear about your experiences of races like these, perhaps from those who enjoyed a nice kip in a proper bivy/tent setup each night. Maybe more honestly, I'm looking for an understanding from some of you who may have felt the same. A bit of reassurance that it's ok at the age of 48 to transition from the; work at the front to the party at the back, 'mullet' model of racing.
FLV

Re: The 'why?'

Post by FLV »

I don't like racing. But I do kind of like the comradery of a shared challenge / event. Just stick to those. BB200 / WRT style, I think the Cairngorm loop can be tackled this way, Tuscany trail etc. I think there are plenty about where the route and the pleasure of the ride are as much a focus as the challenge of going so deep one may be hallucinating for a 48 hour stint across the finish line (which has its place).

This will mean some events are out of that scope, but some routes are worth joining the 'race' or tackling an ITT or other privately arranged start.

Whilst I am prone to a bit of disillusionment around the racing side of the sport (or activity), I do generally think there are enough of each type.

edit,
I also like the idea of rides like the Second City Divide. Where the finish time / meeting place is set and you start at a time / day in which you think you can get there. Though I haven't done this event, it seems a good idea.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Yes. I saw that Second city divide plan too and it really appealed.
RIP

Post by RIP »

If you just now want to "meet the people who do these things" and like their company, there's nowt wrong with that - just become a groupie at the pub/start/finish. All the meeting and non of the racing :-bd

I'm not sure BB200 is about stoking egos though. It seems very different to that to me. But then I have not earned the right to comment on that really. And the WRT serves the 'ride, eat, sleep, repeat, meet people, curl up to sleep in a comfy nook' perfectly - that doesn't sound quite what BB200 is.

I seem to have stopped hooning (whatever that means) around on my full suspension bike. It just happened. I don't lose any sleep over it. I've just moved on somehow. I don't even bother analysing why. Does anyone want to buy it? Maybe wean yourself off 'races' by doing BB200 which isn't really a race but is a shared challenge. Then invent your own BB200 and enjoy that race/challenge. All these 'official routes and races' are only things invented by someone who's also invented a name for them. Personally I've never adhered to the concept of an Official Route but that's just me. Anyone can do it (the inventing that is, the organising is hard). Invite some mates on it so you get the 'meeting of people who do those things'.

Interesting philosophical discussion anyway. One wishes you luck working through it :smile:

PS. Don't lose sight of the doughnuts :shock:
Last edited by RIP on Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I reckon I need to just get stuck in. I'm overthinking it. Maybe stop reading about the latest superhero who can go 7 days without sleep too! I get really grumpy after one night's poor kip.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

psling

Post by psling »

I think 'the why' should be entirely personal to your own wants and needs, not a desire to 'fit in' with any preconceived ideal or other people's 'whys'.
It's great to be inspired by other people's journeys but in these days of #gratification it's all too easy to lose sight of your own reasons in search of a greater reason.
And remember, your own reason 'why' will change as your needs change, but let these changes evolve by your own desires, not by that need to 'fit in'.

(philisophical enough for you Reg :lol: :wink: ).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

That's a smashing answer! :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

Sorted! That was quick. Good old BBB hive mind.

Next up In The Psychiatrist's Chair is.....

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Currently in a field :grin: will cogitate on a full answer for tonight
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

So why even 'race'? Why not just continue bikepacking unrecorded? Honest answer is that I want to meet the people who do these kind of things, and I want a reason to put myself into the biggest landscapes.
My dream is to do the HT550. But I don't want to rush things. I want to enjoy the journey to it. I think events like the YD300 and Cairngorms loop would be more than enough to thrill me for now.
I had similar thoughts toward the end of one of the few races I've ever done. Maybe you're a tourer at heart not a racer, like me (edit to be clear, I'm a tourer). I think it's a shame there aren't more events that take away the racing and timing aspects, it really changes the nature of an event for me. Racing can be very rewarding, don't get me wrong I don't have any issues with racing but I think Psling put it well, you need to have solid, positive motivations.

Q - why not ride the HT550 with a few others sometime, what is it about the appeal of the mass start if you're not intending on racing? I get that you can meet others to ride with but if it's a race, isn't that prospect a bit limited? I don't know, I don't ride timed events as socials, my ego says I'm turning up to make the fast riders look better : ) so if it's timed, I'd race. Partly why I like the audax format - a time limit but not time as an absolute aim. SSD approach is also good but still creates pressure to be somewhere at a certain time, since so few of us estimate time needed for these things that well.

Come along to the TNR one year maybe, I think you'd enjoy it.
Last edited by jameso on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As already said, 'why?' is highly personal and sometimes 'because it's better than the alternative' is good enough reason and sometimes, maybe the only reason.

With regard to events and races ... I wonder whether there's perhaps two types. The first is about the participants and providing them with 'opportunity'. That might be an opportunity to challenge and push themselves. Maybe the opportunity to meet others with similar interests or maybe the opportunity to learn from those more experienced. It kind of doesn't matter because the focus is placed directly on the participant and giving them 'something'.

The second type is a little different although that difference can be hard to spot at first. These type are self-perpetuating promotional machines. The participants are merely a means to that end, although for some, the event itself is a means to their end. The promotional value of 'extreme' is high and it generates media (in all forms) coverage and interest. That coverage and interest may lead to higher revenue through sponsorship or increased entry or It can also simply be a way to bolster the ego of those behind it. Obviously, some people thrive on knowing the world is watching and that their 'time' will be published and compared to that of others and for those people, that's great. However, I often think that it can be off-putting for many more, who'd possibly be happy to give it a go if it weren't under the scrutiny of the public eye.

Sorry if that's a bit disjointed but I've pulled my back out so concentration and communication skills are suffering but hopefully someone might pull something useful from it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It's good to have a proper think sometimes.

Analysing the point I made about meeting like minded people, perhaps I've missed the point?
Last year I did a 9 day trip to, round, and back from the Brecon Beacons. My most cherished memories were a long conversation I had with a lady in Abergavenny. We were sat in a cafe and must have talked for over an hour about her life there after moving over from Ireland 25 years ago, and her recently deceased husband. That evening I met a couple from Liverpool in a campsite in Hay on Wye. We got drunk and laughed to the small wee hours.
These were just normal people who I'd chanced upon during my journey.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, the joy of encounters with strangers or perhaps that's strange encounters? :wink:

Considering I was riding from the Welsh highlands and heading for the rich, fertile flatlands of Pembrokeshire I seemed to be riding uphill rather a lot. Apart from hills, the day was filled with country lanes, old drove roads and just to keep my strength up, the occasional visit to a village bakery. For the sake of argument, I'm going to say the time was around four o'clock. I found myself at a crossroads and in the hope of finding some supplies for what would no doubt be a long evening, I consulted the map. With a decision made, I pushed the map deep back inside my jersey pocket and was just about to pedal off, when a battered red pick-up truck drew alongside me. "Are you lost?" the croaky voice driving asked. "No, not at all, just deciding which way to go", "go where?", "St Davids", I replied. "You don't wanna go there" the voice said helpfully, "it's a long way". I explained that although it was quite a long way, it wasn't really that far and I had no choice in my destination as I'd arranged to meet someone. I thought my explanation made perfect sense but it quickly became apparent that my co-navigator believed my logic to be flawed. "There's places you could go that are much nearer", he lent out of the truck window and pointed towards the wooden road sign opposite, "see, Eglwyswrw is only six miles and they've got a pub". "Have all the pubs in St Davids closed?" I asked, "don't know, I don't go, it's a long way". Any words I had would have been wasted, I nodded and smiled a smile that I hoped would convey the message - thank you, very insightful, now piss off. It didn't work, in fact it seemed to encourage him, "is it a mountain bike?". With little idea where this new line of questioning was headed, I simply answered "yes". "Why are you riding it on the road?" Maybe I could induce a sensory overload in my inquisitor?, I had nothing to lose, "rather than a mountain bike, consider it an all terrain bike, so you're able ride it on any type of surface" I replied. "What, even roads?", "yes, even roads", I half shouted back at him. "If I had one of them, I'd take it over the Preselli hills". Was he doing this on purpose? I wondered, "but the Preselli hills on are the way to St Davids" I said remembering to omit the words 'you old bastard' before I spoke. He crunched his way into first gear and with something which might have been a wink, said "Aye, spose they are".
jameso

Post by jameso »

You're a tourer for sure :-bd Ever ridden with Reg?

There's a few books by cycle tourers that all make similar points about how people travelling by bike, particularly solo riders, may be the travellers most likely to be offered hospitality or find opportunities for conversation as they travel. If you were on a train you'd have more conversation situations but I mean how others see a bike as a humble or approachable way for someone to travel and it promotes engagement. I think that's true, said as a generally reserved type who's enjoyed meeting people when touring alone and find it happens far more than it does day to day otherwise.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Two books, I have them both (amongst many others):

The Man who cycled the world by Mark Beaumont.
Cycling home from Siberia by Rob Lilwall.

Rob's adventure was my favourite by a million miles.
RIP

Post by RIP »

jameso wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:35 pm You're a tourer for sure :-bd Ever ridden with Reg?
I'm possibly nearer 'flaneur' than 'tourer', but I never was good at labels :smile: .

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:28 pm I never was good at labels :smile: .
Apart from the ones that say "stout". 🍻
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

My wife and I currently riding along north coast of Brittany, some lovely encounters with people on their own trips - young lady on ferry who was cycling solo to Spain to see if she could, young man on 3 month trip down Ireland and on way to Morocco. Again, just to see where he ended up. It’s these encounters with people, whether it’s WRT or a more formal event.

A few years ago, was cycling the Hebrides, and we bumped into some older folk in a cafe. Got nattering, as you do. Old lady, sharp, in her 80s, gave advice “do it whilst you can be bothered”. Ever since then, when I sense any can’t-be-arsed-ness I have a word with myself, picture a care home and sitting there not being able to get out. Those thoughts can turn the rainiest day into one of pleasure for me. Didn’t go down well with the other half though when I suggested we go out to garden bollock naked in rain one day to feel a bit of life on our skin.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

:grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now, I was having a bit of a think while I was bimbling round the forest and my mind latched on to the whole issue of motivation and especially the motivation required to be right at the pointy end of a long distance endurance event. I recalled numerous conversations over the years with such people and while not indicative of everyone, there was a trait that a surprising (or maybe it isn't) number seemed, by their own admission to possess ... and it was hate. Not a hate of others or of things but of self. It was almost as though the 'suffering' involved was in some way an act cleansing or an even atonement.

Maybe I'm way off the mark but it's a theory that I keep coming back to over the years.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

When I was younger I used to do mad things to prove myself. I wasn't happy but did have a troubled childhood which goes some way to explain it.
Counselling, a wonderful wife, then a lovely daughter plus half a lifetime without bad things happening has allowed me to make peace with who I am. I have nothing left to prove, I'm just me.

My bikepacking dreams involve wind, rain and wild, remote places. I've worked outside my whole life and just love nature. Want to explore Scotland so much. Have been doing my apprenticeship in England and Wales, am almost ready I think. Just need to do a few consecutive days of really tough conditions to gain confidence in my wet weather gear. Have just bought a Columbia outdry thanks to you guys. Fed up with jackets wetting out.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Done the HT550 three times, failed it twice. First successful time I was motivated purely by the will to prove that I could do it, didn't care how long it took. In the event it proved to be a huge laugh with some great banter with several people I was sharing the sodden trails and slashing rain with.... Second time I was after more of the same and to prove the first time wasn't a fluke. Third time because I'm an idiot! Well no - I decided I wanted to enjoy it purely for the riding it offers. I nearly blew it by going too fast on the first day and the weather nearly blew it by being horrible on the third day. But aside from that I did indeed enjoy the riding, the food and some great banter and company. This was the year that it was all over the main steam cycling press as the 'UK's premier bikepacking race' and hyped well out of proportion to what it actually is - a long route with some hard bits. The hype was coming exclusively from people not doing it. I vowed never to do it again - quit whilst I was ahead - but I'm actually thinking of giving it another go, purely for the chit chat, and good riding. That said the numbers doing it concern me as I'd rather do it amongst a smaller group so I may do it on my own.

Things like the YD 200/300 are really nice as they are a bit off the radar and tend to have low entry numbers as a result. This seems to generate a really nice atmosphere of friendliness and a bit of mischief at what we are doing - most folk go out for a few hours and then go to the pub to lie to each other about it, we are out for 30+ hours, riding through the night, sneaking into barns for a kip, hiding under a bush, devouring everything the Spar shop / co-op has to offer etc. etc. The riding is also really, really good

First BB last year and it immediately struck me as also being very friendly - having the community centre as a starting point so you can chat with people before and after (and eat Stus bacon rolls) is a really good thing and just adds to the cheeriness of the route. Not having a fixed start time removes any semblance of 'race' and it's so ridiculously hard that you really can't take it seriously. For all people may moan about hills / bogs / tussocks etc. we all secretly love it and the banter it generates.

I've done a couple of actual proper real races in the last few years (Rov 150 and SSUK) and hit them with the same attitude - do it, finish it, enjoy it. At no point was I racing.

So Bikepacking ITT's kind of take me back to the early days of mountainbike racing when it was all a laugh and not many / no-one took it seriously; and whilst a few folk went hell for leather trying to win it, most were just there because it was fun. Early years of DH were the same. Some Bikepacking ITT's may go the way that XC and DH went - full of racer heads out to win at all costs but it's actually pretty unlikely for most as they are still pretty low key and access and insurance issues mean they will only ever be challenges, not races.

Someone once said that if you got a place in the HT550 you had to do it as quick as possible in order to honour getting a place in the group start but this isn't the case - Alan just wants people to do it in the rules and enjoy it. In a way the more people seeking purely to do it as a personal challenge in a time they can manage the better - go for it!
Dakkar

Post by Dakkar »

rollindoughnut wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:45 pm Two books, I have them both (amongst many others):

The Man who cycled the world by Mark Beaumont.
Cycling home from Siberia by Rob Lilwall.

Rob's adventure was my favourite by a million miles.
Mine too. Can't recommend it highly enough
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

My wife read it whilst on holiday as she'd finished all her books and she really enjoyed it. She then bought me Walking home from Mongolia for my birthday last week
Speaking of which Rosie Swale Pope's story of running round the world is another great tale of adventure and people.