New multi-tool and/or leatherman type thingy advice...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pushirons

Re: New multi-tool and/or leatherman type thingy advice...

Post by pushirons »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:01 am Juts use the spare gear cable you are carrying then you save the weight of the lace

i use some wolf tooth plyers so my weight hit is even greater
Yeah nice idea. Or….. the shoe lace from my shoe.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ok. It is done.

In the post are 1 x Topeak MINI 20 PRO (everything I need but still relatively compact) and 1 x Leatherman Skeletool CX (minimal weight but full sized, has the bit driver feature and supposed to be superior wire cutting capabilities).

Thanks for all the help choosing, let's hope I've made the right choices (for me).

I leave for my annual (delayed due to parental illness) Tuscany Trail trip on the 8th and so time will tell how well the new additions perform.....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

gairym wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:42 am Ok. It is done.

In the post are 1 x Topeak MINI 20 PRO (everything I need but still relatively compact) and 1 x Leatherman Skeletool CX (minimal weight but full sized, has the bit driver feature and supposed to be superior wire cutting capabilities).

Thanks for all the help choosing, let's hope I've made the right choices (for me).

I leave for my annual (delayed due to parental illness) Tuscany Trail trip on the 8th and so time will tell how well the new additions perform.....
Hi Gairy. Don't forget there is also that Self Supported guide that got published by some bikepacker types (input from Shona and Rich and many other ultra distancers have shared their plan Bs). I managed to convert it to a pdf of you want it aending across. Might be the best rendering of it and the online version was obviously better presented but... Let me know and I'll email it across...
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Multi tools are a funny one as we all don't really want to be using one as that would reflect badly on the poorly maintained bikes we ride, but recently bought this one and its nice and light, really small and has most things on it to pull you out the you know what although I'm happy to report I haven't needed to use it as yet which is also a good thing :-bd

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Fix-Ma ... -Tool/P4G1
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
FLV

Post by FLV »

gairym wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:42 am Ok. It is done.

In the post are 1 x Topeak MINI 20 PRO
For what its worth, I have used the chain tool on one of these quite a lot (mostly on someone else's bike :grin: ) and it worked great.
The rest of the tool is useable in a pinch, if a little short on length of the allen's
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Once used a multitool; however,...
Then found it increasing more convenient to have individual HEX keys, chain tool, spoke key

For a knife have one of these

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Produc ... p/1.7925.T

(blade is less than 75mm, and not locking, so legal in the UK)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Asposium wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:50 pm Once used a multitool; however,...
Then found it increasing more convenient to have individual HEX keys, chain tool, spoke key
On paper I agree but having to switch my toolkit between multiple bikes all with different tool needs I find that a decent multi-tool covers all the bases without me having to think about it at all.

I have enough trouble remembering what brake pads and tube sizes I need to carry as spares for each ride.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

gairym wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:53 pm
Asposium wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:50 pm Once used a multitool; however,...
On paper I agree but having to switch my toolkit between multiple bikes all with different tool needs I find that a decent multi-tool covers all the bases without me having to think about it at all.

I have enough trouble remembering what brake pads and tube sizes I need to carry as spares for each ride.
I found that putting the "kit" into a small make-up case handy in that regard.
Tools, a few spares (brake pads, mech hanger, valve cores), gloves, inner cables etc
Easy to swap between my "work" bike and "bikepacking bike"

But yes, would be a faff otherwise

Penknife usually lives in handily in framebag or rucksack
Last edited by Asposium on Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Agreed. What I meant was by the time I'd gathered all of the individual tools I needed to work on every bike it totaled much more than any multi-tool in terms of weight and space (and much less convenient to find in the bag).

My tools all live in a top tube bag that I just strap onto whichever bike I'm riding that day.