Pile / Pertex and the moon on a stick.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Pile / Pertex and the moon on a stick.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got an oldish Montane Extreme pile / Pertex smock and it's smashing ... but only on those bitterly cold days of which we don't really get that many.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pile / Pertex jacket, smock or shirt that's less substantial than the normal Montane or Buffalo and that isn't too spendy ... I know Buffalo do a 'cycle shirt' that would likely do what I want but it's not exactly cheap at over £200. :shock:

Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Re: Pile / Pertex and the moon on a stick.

Post by Boab »

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Montane Hydrogen is worth a look at, I got one over the summer ready for this winter

Edit £80 instead of £160
https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon ... ct-jacket/
Decent online store too, never had an issue with them
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

+1 for the Hydrogen, I have the smock version

Pertex outer and Alpha lining, great for regulating on the move but not as toasty as my Special 6 shirt was when static. It's still a beast though and doesn't come out until around November time for me

ME Kinesis would be a less warm option
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Karrimor/KIMM did one years back, before they were bought out and turned crappy.... I think my wife has a barely worn men's small one in the wardrobe, I can measure it and ask if she still wants it if you like?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I actually find my paramo velez smock to be like a cooler version of a Buffalo windshirt and properly water proof to boot. Obviously a miss price wise but they come up second hand quite a bit. I also have a buffalo tec-lite gillet - micro fleece and pertex outer which is fab as a warm but light thing to drag on over whatever else you are wearing.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think my wife has a barely worn men's small one in the wardrobe, I can measure it and ask if she still wants it if you like?
:-bd can do ta Paul.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Rab did a couple of versions in polartec alpha

I also have a very lightweight version by marmot

I also agree the lightweight paramo are great for winter, standard ones are a bit to warm for me

I also have the old Polaris microfleece version that's 20 years old that's on its way to fleabay
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:03 pm I actually find my paramo velez smock to be like a cooler version of a Buffalo windshirt and properly water proof to boot. Obviously a miss price wise but they come up second hand quite a bit. I also have a buffalo tec-lite gillet - micro fleece and pertex outer which is fab as a warm but light thing to drag on over whatever else you are wearing.
I was going to suggest the Buffalo Teclite shirt as well, I have the Teclite trousers. Spot on for winter walking. The Rab Vapour rise smock could be an option? Windproof outer and light fleece/pile lining, I wear mine loads.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Same here, I find the teclite top great for pretty much most of the time...
And the trousers are really good too
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I've got a Rab vapour rise that has a kinda a micro fleece liner instead of the thick pile, with windproof outer.

Been thinking of moving it on if you're interested?
I fit medium usually and it was bottom end of fitting me, now I've bulked out a tad.

Other thing to consider may be this running kit? Omm supersonic. Pretty dear at £150 RRP but may be available for less?
https://theomm.com/product/supersonic-smock/
jameso

Post by jameso »

Polartec Alpha is supposed to be the answer to lightweight Pertex + Pile isn't it?

Agree though, I have a 15 year old Montane Extreme Jacket and it's my standard winter jacket anytime out of the house, walking, work wear etc. Basically synthetic animal hide isn't it? leather outer / fur inner.
I used to use a Berghaus jacket for hiking and scrambling that had a soft peached polyester / thin fleece type lining with a windproof polyester outer layer, attached along seams and centres only so it flapped a little - vented and breathed so well and was comfy in the way a Pertex + Pile combo is, just worked in warmer temps. Worth considering something like that perhaps.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

The Alpkit Morphosis is bloody brilliant. Packs up to the size of a mid-sized waterproof and will keep most of the elements out for a good while, then dries out very quickly. I definitely prefer my smaller snugger one for riding though, it's definitely more versatile snug than baggy. Definitely the best I've found for general riding.

I've also had 2 Buffalo Active-Lite shirts (they used to be cheaper :shock: ) which are excellent and warmer but easier to vent, but a little bulky if you want to take them off though. Only stopped using them because my first one got worn to the point of not being windproof and the second got lost :sad: .

I've got a trekmates light fleece lined windbreaker which was £12 off eBay a few years ago, if I could get another I would it's almost as good as the Alpkit for considerably less.

My last suggestion for you would be the British army fleece lined windproof made by I think Keela? It's got the best fleece and the outer shell is borderline waterproof, but the fit is less than athletic and I've torn mine across the chest seams (quality not quite there?) But it did get me through the HT550 a few years ago so take from that what you will?

Can you tell I've been on this quest for a while?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Been thinking of moving it on if you're interested?
I've got one Ben but not a massive fan, although they receive a lot of love generally.

I've just remembered the Polaris jacket I bought a while ago. I only wore it once - mainly because I hung it up in the boiler room then forgot where it was - but I recall, that might actually do the trick.

Thank you all but I may be back :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

The Alpkit Morphosis is bloody brilliant.
That looks like a better version of the old Berghaus 'thin fleece inner + windproof outer' top I described. Great stuff :-bd