Kit lust.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Re: Kit lust.

Post by pistonbroke »

I’ll own up that I want a Garmin 1040 Solar.
I lusted after one of those until I saw the price. I'd worked out that given my sunny personality, every time I looked at it, it would charge a little more. Must be the same for you Dave
(Where the fkuk is the irony emogee? )
Now I'm after an Explore 2 power but I'm buggered if I'm paying €400 for one, €100 less on black Friday and I'm in.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Less so kit but time!

Where does everyone find the time to spend x amount of days away from the family?!

I get plenty of day rides in but never manage to link in two days in succession :oops:

When I was younger in high school, my art teacher asked us what stopped him from going on adventures, I suggested money like an reasonable teenager would but he responded with time! 25 years later, I absolutely know what he meant :lol:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

The only thing I'd really like is a jacket that's actually properly, reliably waterproof and breathable, and will stay that way forever (or at least for many years). I've bought a fair number of the 'best' jackets and found them all a bit 'meh' after the first few outings
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Johnallan wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:00 pm The only thing I'd really like is a jacket that's actually properly, reliably waterproof and breathable, and will stay that way forever (or at least for many years). I've bought a fair number of the 'best' jackets and found them all a bit 'meh' after the first few outings
This sort of comment leads to the pretty standard response of "Have you tried Columbia Outdry?"

For me it hit most of those criteria.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:56 pm Where does everyone find the time to spend x amount of days away from the family?!
"Alpinism is an egoistic activity"
Said my former self at the age of about 18.

Bikepacking or any other multiday activity away from home is similar.

Be egoistic, egocentric and reduce your social life.
Make a fuss about your ideas and planned trips. Treat them like the important tournament of some sports club.
Save the planet and don't have kids.
Etc.
Easy.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:56 pm
Where does everyone find the time to spend x amount of days away from the family?!
For me its a 2 way thing. If the Mrs wants to have her time with the girls then fine.
Also being a miserable tw@t when you don't get out works. She'll then understand that being out is your therapy to be happier.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

DIVORCE - expensive solution but works very well :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:37 am Also being a miserable tw@t when you don't get out works. She'll then understand that being out is your therapy to be happier.
Cunning technique Jeff :smile: .

It operates slightly differently in our household. Similar result, but Instead of "understanding" it's "bugger off out you miserable tw@t and don't come back until you've cheered up" :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gairym

Post by gairym »

Mornin',

I can relate to this. Not really had much enthusiasm for new kit for a while now.

Currently in the market for a new multi-tool and leatherman after some yoofs* helped themselves to mine when my bike was outside while I ate the other day and, after initially thinking I'd quite enjoy looking into kit again, I found myself unable to muster much interest in looking through reviews and finding good deals etc... and so haven't bought anything yet (I'd buy the same again if only knew what they were called).

(*exactly zero proof they were young but happy to reinforce stereotypes)
faustus

Post by faustus »

Lust for kit has only ever really been bike-focussed for me, and I don't really have much of it now i'm pretty settled on what type of bike I need and want. Clothing and camping stuff is less exciting for me, and I probably have enough to be getting on with for the limited amount I do for now.

As other parents have said - biggest lust is for time at the moment (and past 4 years!). I get grumpy fairly quickly but I don't get booted out and told to go for a ride, sadly! Only having small chunks of time and only going from the door, means my riding and fitness is limited. Occasional longer rides do happen though. I desperately want a couple of days to head off and go where I fancy with minimal planning. But the guilt of not helping out at bedtimes and nursery drop-offs etc. often overshadows things a little when I do get away. :???:
jameso

Post by jameso »

The best bit about spending a while at Madison with cost price Shimano, DT etc on tap is that after a while I no longer cared about top-end kit. You just realise that it doesn't necessarily add anything to your riding but it always does add cost to your bike. It's good to have in places for sure (I like XTR/Dura-Ace/SON level bearing and chainring durability) but I don't 'lust' after anything like that or have much interest 'bling' bikes etc. Just give me predictably functional and durable, or light and compact. Mostly in plain black 'because Metal' and I never get bored of black.
I think it's also an age or time in the game thing - probably a bit of both for most of us on here : )
faustus

Post by faustus »

jameso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:54 amI think it's also an age or time in the game thing - probably a bit of both for most of us on here : )
Think that is a key thing; knowing what works, and where value lies e.g. experience of the law of diminishing returns!
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

@jameso interesting you say the XTR chainrings. I've been "downgrading" to XT in my kit plans as they're steel.

Are the XTR ones really quite durable (for Aluminium)?
jameso

Post by jameso »

u02sgb wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:32 am @jameso interesting you say the XTR chainrings. I've been "downgrading" to XT in my kit plans as they're steel.

Are the XTR ones really quite durable (for Aluminium)?
They are ime but I'm going back a few years there and bear in mind I'm still using 10s kit on my MTBs, not 1 x11 or 12. M980 series XTR cranks / rings. On my SS I do find steel rings last longest. On the geared bikes I'd say the top end rings last better but miles per £ or objective evidence? Can't say for sure.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Thanks. It's 12 speed I'm using but I'm considering an XTR crank at some point so might look for one with a ring. I've got an XT crank from 2008 that's on my full suspension so I figure it's long term weight saving!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:37 am
voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:56 pm
For me its a 2 way thing. If the Mrs wants to have her time with the girls then fine.
Also being a miserable tw@t when you don't get out works. She'll then understand that being out is your therapy to be happier.
Cheers Jeff. I’m lucky in the fact that my wife does loads of running, so for day activities, that’s what we do. Not always the all day rides I dream of but always a few hours, so really can’t complain. We call it tag teaming, so weekends are either family days or tag team days :-bd

I think the problem with overnight trips is my approach to them, I’ve always admitted that I’m not the fan of camping out but use it extend rides, so for me an overnight trip with be used to two day but day rides back to back. Maybe I need to rethink this approach and use it to tag two shorter rides to together

Mrs-voodoo is of to Geneva mid October to meet a friend for a few days, so no doubt I’ll be able to use that as a bit of leverage. Actually that’s being a it unfair as she’s really easy going, it’s my guilt that hampers this :oops:

Lazarus wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:44 am
DIVORCE - expensive solution but works very well :wink:
Wasn’t planning on spending THAT much this month :lol:

Alpinum wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:06 am [quote=voodoo_simon post_id=294672 time=<a href="tel:1661450162">1661450162</a> user_id=3402]
"Alpinism is an egoistic activity"
Said my former self at the age of about 18.

Bikepacking or any other multiday activity away from home is similar.

Be egoistic, egocentric and reduce your social life.
Make a fuss about your ideas and planned trips. Treat them like the important tournament of some sports club.
Save the planet and don't have kids.
Etc.
Easy.
[/quote]

You know what, historically, booking things and getting it in the calendar has always worked (for both of us). Think that’s why I renter some races/events to get it on the calendar :-bd I’ll get something scribbled down soon.

Cheers everyone for listening to my moan :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/jones-tit ... me-review/
I would really like one. But....
£5k
I'd probably break it
It would have to replace my steel one which I really like and quite attached too
err...
jameso

Post by jameso »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:05 pm https://bikepacking.com/bikes/jones-tit ... me-review/
I would really like one. But....
£5k
I'd probably break it
It would have to replace my steel one which I really like and quite attached too
err...
Yeah, dream bike. And I did break my Ti Jones eventually. To be honest the steel Jones I have is just as good, just different. A week in Wales on it recently and I'd almost forgotten what a brilliant design it is for mixed terrain touring. I'd love a steel diamond plus. A friend picked up a putty grey one s/h for a great price and it's :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I thought £5k for a bike does not sound that stupid ...then realised its just the frame :shock:
jameso

Post by jameso »

..and forks don't forget, bargain : )

I guess compared to a £3k FS frame and high end sus forks being around a grand now it's not that far off and arguably offers longer lifespan £ per mile etc, but it's a lot of money for any bike frameset.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I guess the truth of it is that as you get to a certain level of experience, you know that adding any new items to your setup will increase your burden.
Once you've got a bed and shelter that you trust, waterproofs that keep you dry, a bike that works and a way of carrying everything that is satisfactory, you've got enough to go out for a day, a month or a year. At that point, as has been repeatedly stated here, you yearn for time, ability and desire to go for increasing challenging adventures.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:58 pm [...]
You know what, historically, booking things and getting it in the calendar has always worked (for both of us). Think that’s why I renter some races/events to get it on the calendar :-bd I’ll get something scribbled down soon.
Cheers everyone for listening to my moan :-bd
:-bd
Yeah, really does help.

Isn't this forum just about that, moaning (or reading about)?
:lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:02 am ..and forks don't forget, bargain : )

I guess compared to a £3k FS frame and high end sus forks being around a grand now it's not that far off and arguably offers longer lifespan £ per mile etc, but it's a lot of money for any bike frameset.
Wow... quite incredible.

Not that off of what? Being a complete rip off? :wink:

Make something a bit special and put a stupidly high price label on it and it'll sell well.

Work from yellow second hand jeans to frames with hidden shocks, down clothing with metallised fabrics and tents with DCF + ePTFE fabric. Some offer funny looks, some innovative technologies, some just not too regular geo numbers.
Those who think it's a rip off don't have to buy it. Fair enough.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:15 am Not that off of what? Being a complete rip off? :wink:

Make something a bit special and put a stupidly high price label on it and it'll sell well.

Work from yellow second hand jeans to frames with hidden shocks, down clothing with metallised fabrics and tents with DCF + ePTFE fabric. Some offer funny looks, some innovative technologies, some just not too regular geo numbers.
Those who think it's a rip off don't have to buy it. Fair enough.
Ha.. Well if 25% more is 'not that far off' a top-end frameset's value. You're right, we all place value on things in different ways. Has to be said that Jeff's distribution must be a significant part of the cost of his bikes, I think only their niche appeal and uniqueness prevents competition undercutting him (assuming they understood what he was doing to begin with).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

(assuming they understood what he was doing to begin with).
Is it not really the end user that needs to understand? Quite a few 'jonesesque' bars have appeared over the years but I always tend to think that many of those selling them don't fully understand the reasoning behind their design ... most folk seem the think the odd sticky out bits are there to strap things to* :wink:

*obviously this may be a secondary use of odd sticky out bits.
May the bridges you burn light your way