Anyone else name their bikes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robsmuddygloves

Anyone else name their bikes?

Post by robsmuddygloves »

I know many may think this a little eccentric/odd, but I've always given my bikes names, and was wondering if anyone else does? Sometimes it reflects how they ride/respond, sometimes it's down to how they look. For example, my old racer was called Doris, I had a felt single speed that my son called the ninja, and my Vagabond makes me smile in woodlands, so is called houby, the Czech word for mushroom. Probably because some of my fondest memories are picking fungi with my Grandmother (Babička) whilst visiting her on holiday in the Czech Republic.

Am I alone, do I need help, or does anyone else share this peculiarity?
godivatrailrider

Re: Anyone else name their bikes?

Post by godivatrailrider »

Can’t say I do. My sister names all her cars. Our cat is just The Cat. Never really named anything. My son is The Boy😆😆 he’s 24, 6’2”, and about 28 stone. Still The Boy.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Beyond the function they perform , the SS, the FS, the hardtail etc, , no .
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Someone once commented that my sand coloured surly with its faded brown bags looked like something issued to the 8th Army. I'd had thoughts along the same lines and as my grandfather served with them through WW2 I call it Monty. On reflection perhaps I should have called it Bill after my grandfather. Is it bad luck to change the name like it is with boats?
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:13 pm Someone once commented that my sand coloured surly with its faded brown bags looked like something issued to the 8th Army. I'd had thoughts along the same lines and as my grandfather served with them through WW2 I call it Monty. On reflection perhaps I should have called it Bill after my grandfather. Is it bad luck to change the name like it is with boats?
Thinking about it I did have a Pink Scandal, it was pretty much universally known in the club as the VGP, the Very Gay Pink :grin:
Otherwise it's just what they are, The Jones, The Roo (ster), the brown one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, not really. Never named a pushbike and only recently begun to adorn motorbikes - but even that is simply so people with little knowledge of such things, know which I'm boring them about.

Ooh, it just struck me that while I don't name bows (beyond the big one, the osage one or the really twisted one) most people I've made them for do appear to give them names - seems to be mainly based on their looks (bow not people) rather than their shooting character.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got the commuter, the full sus and the Arkose so no.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Feels odd to join the litany of negative responses but no, not beyond the purely descriptive labels others have mentioned (FS, HT, Ti one, old one, crap one etc).
faustus

Post by faustus »

My first 'proper' mtb in 2004, yes. I spent a tax rebate on it while at Uni, so spent a fair bit of money on it. It was called faustus. Hence the username :oops: Pretentiousness of that name aside, i'm not against naming. My other half has an old pink on one 456 and a charge grater, and they are called pinks and goose, which I quite like and are better than '456...etc.'

Mine are currently just the names of the bikes, so Unit, Camino, or town bike. But I think as affection and memories grow with a bike, sometimes so does a name, so who knows?
woodsmith wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:13 pm Someone once commented that my sand coloured surly with its faded brown bags looked like something issued to the 8th Army. I'd had thoughts along the same lines and as my grandfather served with them through WW2 I call it Monty. On reflection perhaps I should have called it Bill after my grandfather. Is it bad luck to change the name like it is with boats?
Good name and good association/meaning. Sounds a really cool bike too, post a pic! :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

Must admit I don't name them, other than "The fatty", "The arkose" etc.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

No.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Holgateeng

Post by Holgateeng »

I always do , I currently have Lynnie the Lynskey , a Superior hardtail called Chicken ( Chicken Supreme ) and a Salsa Horsethief that obviously called Ned after Ned Kelly .
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

faustus wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:17 am My first 'proper' mtb in 2004, yes. I spent a tax rebate on it while at Uni, so spent a fair bit of money on it. It was called faustus. Hence the username :oops: Pretentiousness of that name aside, i'm not against naming. My other half has an old pink on one 456 and a charge grater, and they are called pinks and goose, which I quite like and are better than '456...etc.'

Mine are currently just the names of the bikes, so Unit, Camino, or town bike. But I think as affection and memories grow with a bike, sometimes so does a name, so who knows?
Good name and good association/meaning. Sounds a really cool bike too, post a pic! :-bd
Second picture down on this thread. Looking suitably hot and dusty in Turkey viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20456&hilit=readers
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nope. Funnily enough all my ex girlfriends insisted on naming my various motorbikes - likewise friends girlfriends. By and large it does seem to be a thing for women more than men....
Boab

Post by Boab »

Paging Shaf!
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just realised that I do attach names to places. Within the forest you'll find, 'Otters Pocket', 'The running hill' and 'Cricket corner' to name a few. It helps us know what an earth the other is talking about ... "there was a big buzzard in the trees at the bottom of Otters pocket" etc.
faustus

Post by faustus »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:55 pm
faustus wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:17 am My first 'proper' mtb in 2004, yes. I spent a tax rebate on it while at Uni, so spent a fair bit of money on it. It was called faustus. Hence the username :oops: Pretentiousness of that name aside, i'm not against naming. My other half has an old pink on one 456 and a charge grater, and they are called pinks and goose, which I quite like and are better than '456...etc.'

Second picture down on this thread. Looking suitably hot and dusty in Turkey viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20456&hilit=readers
Ha! I'm the next comment saying how nice it is! Comment still stands - very nice ride :grin:
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Oh gawd! I thought everyone named their bikes..

The Genesis plus bike is black and yellow, so he's (always male for some reason) "Jasper" Regional slang for a wasp.
Sonder Broken Road is "Basil" 'cos he's brushed ti. Basil Brush..boom boom.
New Nukeproof is artichoke coloured so based on the fact i'm a bespoke furniture maker he's "Arti-san"

The 2nd hand road bike is a bit weird though, he came with a dent on the top tube.
He's called "Roland Dent", I thought other bikes would poke fun of him and laugh due to being different, like Roland from Grange Hill.....

Sorry.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

onder Broken Road is "Basil" 'cos he's brushed ti. Basil Brush..boom boom.
Weirdly, I used to call my penis Basil because I once used it in lieu of a brush to paint a picture .... true story that no one should be surprised about :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:58 pm
onder Broken Road is "Basil" 'cos he's brushed ti. Basil Brush..boom boom.
Weirdly, I used to call my penis Basil because I once used it in lieu of a brush to paint a picture .... true story that no one should be surprised about :-bd
Next point is obviously - let's have a look then! Noo-o-o. The painting man, the painting. You must still have it on the living room wall surely?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Next point is obviously - let's have a look then! Noo-o-o. The painting man, the painting. You must still have it on the living room wall surely?
I'll take you a picture Reg. It's hung up in Dee's office.
RIP

Post by RIP »

X_X :-SS
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dee laughs at it (and the picture) but I'm quite proud of it and I like the fact you can hang it any way round you like.

PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:40 pm Dee laughs at it (and the picture) but I'm quite proud of it and I like the fact you can hang it any way round you like.

At the risk of lowering the tone even further.... Would it be well hung any way round ??? Disappointed reg didn't get that one first!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Yes. Sorry. Most definitely guilty. I think I ever remember their names over the years. Lemme see...

SantaJohn - the SC Superlight in orange and amazing 130mm Mag Menja forks (the shorter ones are/were rubbish).

The Cannondale f800 but I forgot it's name (sorry to the bike for that).

Erm... forgotten some but will check strava files later :smile: