Water between Haltwhistle and Edinburgh

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nagasaki45

Water between Haltwhistle and Edinburgh

Post by nagasaki45 »

Hi all,

I'm going with a friend to cycle a section of the Great North Trail from Haltwhistle to Edinborough next weekend. We booked 4 days for it. One thing we couldn't find much information about online is water in that area, especially considering the drought. We have a filter and usually do fine with 2 bottles each. It's going to be our most remote trip to date, so don't want to get stuck without water, hence asking.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Tom
thenorthwind

Re: Water between Haltwhistle and Edinburgh

Post by thenorthwind »

I haven't done much riding further from civilisation recently, but even with the drought I can't imagine you'd have too much trouble finding water I'd be fairly happy to drink after filtering. Just hammered it down all afternoon here, and more showers due over the week.

The first bit to Kielder is likely to be the longest stretch without a tap. When you get to Kielder Water, you go past Tower Knowe visitor centre - the toilets have a cold tap. Cafe there too.
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

That's excellent to hear. Very reassuring. Thanks!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You should be OK from Kielder north. Plenty of burns over the hills and a reasonable spread of places with shops. Probably worth taking a filter though as a lot of the moors are grazed.