What bars...?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

What bars...?

Post by Boab »

Before I went on holiday a few weeks ago, I'd mostly been riding the Scandal frankenbike, which has On-One OG bars on it. Something was either wrong with my position, or with the bars, grips, mitts combo and I was suffering from a numb ring finger. To the point where is was still bothering me half way through my holiday. Not wanting to do permanent damage, as I need my finger for my job, I need to do something before the BB200, so I can get round in, relative, comfort.

I've always suffered from numb fingers on mountain bikes, even with Ergon grips, so at this point I'm pretty much willing to give anything a shot (apart from anything stupidly wide). I'd rather something with back sweep to help my wrists, but other than that, I'm open to suggestions. Happy to buy new, but if anyone's got any compliant bars down the back of the sofa, I'd potentially be interested. I did consider those bamboo jobbies that Stu's got, but I'm thinking they wouldn't take to kindly to clamping aerobars on them...

My current thinking is some sort of compliant back swept bar, Ergon GC1 grips and some of them fancy Elastic Interface shod mitts. So what bars do you all suggest I take a look at...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What bars...?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I assume you get on with drops okay Bob? Perhaps some Surly Corner bars?

May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Carbon Jones bars and Lauf fork :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I sound like a stuck record but from all the drop / flared bars I've tried on the Gryphon and Gold Rush my favourites are the Ritchey VentureMax XL:

I like them because they're wide (narrower are available), the shelf on the flats is comfy, the hooks are shallow (on my bikes and riding I don't want to go full arse-up-head-down) the flare is modest (so hoods are nicely aligned) and even the odd looking dimple on the drop is comfy in the palm. Sorry :fanboy: :oops:

For the MTB I've usually been a "standard" bar kinda guy and find the really swept stuff a bit too weird / barrow-like for my tastes. However, these Ritchey 10D rizer bars are current favourites. A touch of back-sweep and rise:

Various versions to suit price point, material preference etc.

YMMV
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:10 pm I assume you get on with drops okay Bob? Perhaps some Surly Corner bars?
I get on with drops mostly OK, as I can vary my hand position. I find with "normal" MTB bars my hands stay in the same position for hours, which isn't helpful. Hadn't considered those, mainly as I feel it's bringing the bike more towards my existing gravel bike, which I was trying to avoid, although now you mention them... 🤔 Do they flex at all, or are they totally rigid...?
In Reverse wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:40 pm Carbon Jones bars and Lauf fork :-bd
That did cross my mind, but I'm all out of kidneys to sell...
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:46 pm For the MTB I've usually been a "standard" bar kinda guy and find the really swept stuff a bit too weird / barrow-like for my tastes. However, these Ritchey 10D rizer bars are current favourites. A touch of back-sweep and rise:
I did see the Kyote and thought they might do, but am after something other than alloy I think, as a bit of flex is what I think I need...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just thought - I used to run my OG bars upside down and they were dead comfy.
Do they flex at all, or are they totally rigid...?
A little flex bob as they're not oversize - although these days oversize is normal and normal is under-size and massive is oversize :wink: and I'm pretty sure these won't transform your mountain bike into a gravel bike.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:05 pm Just thought - I used to run my OG bars upside down and they were dead comfy.
I might have a play and see what that does...
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:05 pm
Do they flex at all, or are they totally rigid...?
A little flex bob as they're not oversize - although these days oversize is normal and normal is under-size and massive is oversize :wink: and I'm pretty sure these won't transform your mountain bike into a gravel bike.
Out of stock everywhere, so a bit of a moot point...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've found it takes a while to get used to different bars. I used to be quite happy with normal riser bars that had 10 degrees sweep. After a few years of riding bars with 20-45 degrees of sweep I went back to normal bars and they crucified wrists and thumbs.

Bar height is important as well. Stooge motos are a good all round option = nice and wide, a bit of rise and a reasonable amount of sweep.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The latest version of the Velo Orange Crazy bars have something like a 36deg sweep rather than the 45deg sweep of the originals. https://bikepacking.com/gear/velo-orang ... rs-review/
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The latest version of the Velo Orange Crazy bars have something like a 36deg sweep rather than the 45deg sweep of the originals.
Not tried these but the originals are probably my all time favourite bar.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Have had a look on the comparison website?
https://whatbars.com/
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:48 pm Bar height is important as well. Stooge motos are a good all round option = nice and wide, a bit of rise and a reasonable amount of sweep.
Stooge Motos seem to be well liked, although I don't want bars that wide and it seems a bit daft to pay for something then chuck half of it away. 🤷
whitestone wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:07 pm The latest version of the Velo Orange Crazy bars have something like a 36deg sweep rather than the 45deg sweep of the originals. https://bikepacking.com/gear/velo-orang ... rs-review/
Like the Surly Corner bars, the Crazy bars also appear to be out of stock everywhere...
Mariner wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:02 pm Have had a look on the comparison website?
https://whatbars.com/
Yes, but that doesn't tell you if they're any good or not though, plus loads of bars are missing. 🤷
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://bikepacking.com/gear/best-handl ... kepacking/
I think there are a few options which are similar to the stooges but narrower. Ritchey do a 'bikepacking bar' which has a fair bit of sweep some rise and not too wide (or too dear!) Forget what they are called though
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:19 am https://bikepacking.com/gear/best-handl ... kepacking/
I think there are a few options which are similar to the stooges but narrower. Ritchey do a 'bikepacking bar' which has a fair bit of sweep some rise and not too wide (or too dear!) Forget what they are called though
Kyote...?

Looks like the KOGA Satori Denham Handlebar, promoted by some bloke I've never heard of, might fit the bill; they look similar to the Crazy bar. Most importantly, they're in stock...

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Boab wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:01 pm I'm pretty much willing to give anything a shot (apart from anything stupidly wide).
Look at the stem. Had the numb ring finger issueon two bikes. In both cases I went 10 mm shorter on the stem. Sorted.
Sometimes it doesn't take much.
I'd first try to make sure to find the right reach, then adjust height and then play with widths and then up-/backsweeps.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Boab wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:20 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:19 am https://bikepacking.com/gear/best-handl ... kepacking/
Kyote...?

Big thumbs up from me for the Ritchey Kyote bars. They're great. I have mine with some cheapo ergo grips. Great width and loads of space to cut them down if you want to. I knocked 20mm of mine each end. The sweep is very comfortable, they are pretty compliant for a thick alu bar and they're cheap as chips so if you don't like them you're not gonna have to sell a kidney.
I'm just going outside ...
BenS

Post by BenS »

I’ve found Thumb over grips helped to give an alternative hand position that helped avoid numbness. My eBay copies broke pretty quickly and I’m now using the SQLabs inner bar ends which I think are even better since it rotates your wrist in a similar way to a drop bar
Al

Post by Al »

I found OG bars great for ages then suddenly started getting numbness. I found jones bars too sweepy (like a wheel barrow). The next ones i settled on were sq lab bars with a nice 16deg sweep (ox30 I think?), not especially flexy but a really nice shape with Goldilocks amount of sweep for me.

Am now also using stooge moto, but as you said very wide.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just thinking back to OG bars. I recall that PX made two types early on. One was called 'chewy' and offered more flex than the 'normal' version. Might be some kicking about secondhand perhaps.
Boab

Post by Boab »

BenS wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:46 am I’ve found Thumb over grips helped to give an alternative hand position that helped avoid numbness. My eBay copies broke pretty quickly and I’m now using the SQLabs inner bar ends which I think are even better since it rotates your wrist in a similar way to a drop bar
Had totally forgotten about those things, they might help. Although moving to a bar with bull horns built in would do the same thing... 🤔
Al wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:24 am I found OG bars great for ages then suddenly started getting numbness. I found jones bars too sweepy (like a wheel barrow). The next ones i settled on were sq lab bars with a nice 16deg sweep (ox30 I think?), not especially flexy but a really nice shape with Goldilocks amount of sweep for me.

Am now also using stooge moto, but as you said very wide.
Those SQLab ones were mentioned in that Bikepacking article linked to above, so maybe they're worth a closer look...
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:49 am Just thinking back to OG bars. I recall that PX made two types early on. One was called 'chewy' and offered more flex than the 'normal' version. Might be some kicking about secondhand perhaps.
I think mine are the original, rather than the V2; which they claim have better damping and vibration control...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think mine are the original, rather than the V2; which they claim have better damping and vibration control...
No Bob. There were two types of 'original' OG bars - chewy and something else. Mine are non-chewy originals.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've got a pair of VO Crazy bars in the shed if you want to borrow them for a try Bob. I haven't used them for a couple of years.
Boab

Post by Boab »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:38 am I've got a pair of VO Crazy bars in the shed if you want to borrow them for a try Bob. I haven't used them for a couple of years.
Sent you a DM, not going to turn down the opportunity to try something like that...
Thanks! 👍