Weather in Spain Sept-Oct

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Weather in Spain Sept-Oct

Post by woodsmith »

I'm thinking about going to Spain and riding the Spanish Divide and Montanas Vacias in September and October. Anyone familiar with the routes and weather conditions that can be expected around then?
Alexpalacefan

Re: Weather in Spain Sept-Oct

Post by Alexpalacefan »

If any of the route is on "the plain" you might reasonably expect rain. That's where it mainly falls.

A :-)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You got a PM
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:05 pm You got a PM
Nothing showing in my inbox.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Should have arrived by now.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

woodsmith wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 pm I'm thinking about going to Spain and riding the Spanish Divide and Montanas Vacias in September and October. Anyone familiar with the routes and weather conditions that can be expected around then?
Flight booked for last week of October to do MV route.
Just stared doing initial research but temp could still be 20c. Route looks gravel bike compatible.(Will have to be as not taking FS)
Not much on YouTube, but one long video in Spanish. Scenery looks nice.
Got gpx from bikepacking.com and will cross reference with mapy.cz app, which shows MV route as pink line.
I have downloaded Aragon and Castilla la Mancha regions for offline use of this app.
Teruel is 300km east from Madrid airport.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Once went through Teruel when I hired a motorbike to ride around Spain. Beautiful little town, though the civil war history (especially of the town square) is very sad
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Here's all the info you'll ever need to ride the route. https://montanasvacias.com/
20° c at the end of October is a bit optimistic for a route that goes up to 2,000m in several places and is mostly over 1,000m. A group from here rode it in early September 2019, yes it was 3 years ago, and nighttime the temps were decidedly chilly and thunderstorms are common in the late afternoon. A couple of pro roadies from Lotto Soudal rode it at the end of the racing season in October and got snowed on. How are you getting from Madrid to Teruel, there is a train via Zaragoza but it's a bit sporadic. Most people fly to Valencia or Castellon as they are much closer. I'll dig out my report on the trip if you're interested, Ernesto, the guy who put the route and website together is a friend, I can put you in touch if you want.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks that brilliant
Any info and contact appreciated
We're flying from Edb so Madrid is only choice
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Here's my report, we rode the Tajo section this May on the way to Bilbao, it's still pretty deserted.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15981
The Spanish train network and timetable takes some understanding, if you want any help with transfers, let me know.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks, great write up, really useful, especially about the villages without cafes or shops :shock:
Grumpy guardian at a rifuge and bad/stale food is all you need after a long day. Same happened to me at rifugio called Mulaz when hiking the Alta Via due many years ago.
Still remember it now!