Garage and shed security

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faddyvictor

Garage and shed security

Post by faddyvictor »

My neighbour recently had two MTBs stolen, what if anything is anybody using such as wireless alarm systems and or battery operated motion detectors :cry: :evil:
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Garage and shed security

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Wired the garage into the house alarm. It's on when we're asleep.

Can be accomplished easily / cheaply if your system has a wireless function.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

A ground anchor and heavy duty motorcycle lock and chain is an option.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I used to have a 'device' that you fitted blank shotgun cartridges to. It was activated by a tripwire that could be fastened to the door, put across the ground at foot height, etc. If someone tripped it you'd certainly know.

I imagine they're long gone ... which is possibly a good thing as it wasn't uncommon for certain sections of the motorcycle fraternity to fit live cartridges at chest height. I recall one nob shooting himself in the arm :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

We had a spate of house robberies round here linked to Strava - they were targeting expensive bikes based on peoples Strava logs :?

Anyway community officer said most of thefts had been from garages. He adviced you spend 10% of your bikes worth on security. They also said most bike robberies are opportunist and they may saw through a frame if the rest of the parts are valuable enough to flog on or it means they can access other bikes. Best way is to deter them from trying in first place. They recommended locking bike and if over 1k installing GPS tracker in head tube. I didn't go quite that far but went for 2 ground anchors and 13mm Protector motocycle chain so bikes could be locked individually.
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

Something like this Stu ? http://www.surplusstore.co.uk/12-gauge- ... lanks.html
Although I'd prefer the lead filled variety if it were allowed, Shane had an uncle who was a gamekeeper
and he used a tripwire system that fired live cartridges, bit of a bugger by all accounts
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye they're the ones. The 'device' was a cast aluminium holder that the cartridge slid into with a simple spring-loaded firing pin at one end.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I feel that I need to say that no matter how tempting, live cartridges or other booby traps designed to cause harm will only lead to you being prosecuted if they injure someone, be it scumbag thief, fireman attending a call, police officer checking something out in your absence or even just a kid getting into mischief. Even blank cartridges can cause harm if they go off near you. Sorry for the sermon :roll: but best to stay legal.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I feel that I need to say that no matter how tempting, live cartridges or other booby traps designed to cause harm will only lead to you being prosecuted if they injure someone, be it scumbag thief, fireman attending a call, police officer checking something out in your absence or even just a kid getting into mischief. Even blank cartridges can cause harm if they go off near you. Sorry for the sermon but best to stay legal.
Absolutely right Ray ... which is why I won't tell the story about the fella I knew, who basically had a spark plug fitted into his petrol tank :shock: ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

s8tannorm wrote:had a spark plug fitted into his petrol tank :shock: ;)
Now that is bonkers!!!