Bikes on Hull trains

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Bikes on Hull trains

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone got any experience of em. Got myself a cheap ticket to the China embassy for a demo so they can stop abusing the Uighers in their concentration camps (serious). Twittered and emailed Hull trains at the time to get entry for my bike and they got back to me 4 days later saying they're full booked for bikes...

I'm wondering if I might be able to just turn up, will it definitely be pointless or is there a big chance of just jumping on. Kings Cross to Wakefield (LNER) have a separate carriage so it needs to be all booked but never ever used Hull Trains (getting on at Doncaster with the semifat bike).

Any info appreciated...
Asposium

Re: Bikes on Hull trains

Post by Asposium »

Having lived in Hull, and used Hull trains many times.

You will need a bike booking.

Spaces are very limited.
=====

From Doncaster to Hull you could use Northern Trains

No bike booking is needed for Northern Trains, turn up and get on

https://northernrailway.force.com/s/art ... -on-trains
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that. I'll think of the plan B (probably ride to London from Nott).
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:39 am Thanks for that. I'll think of the plan B (probably ride to London from Nott).
You could follow the Grand Union canal almost the whole way Shaf. Quite pleasant in an unchallenging , traffic free, beligerant swans and geese kind of way. Done it several times myself.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37006938
redefined_cycles

There's one to put one on my jobs list. Hope its not like the Liverpool/Leeds canal towpath :o
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:10 pm There's one to put one on my jobs list. Hope its not like the Liverpool/Leeds canal towpath :o
Ooooh do tell. I've only done a very rural little bit of the Leeds - Liverpool between foulridge and barnoldswick.
redefined_cycles

woodsmith wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:59 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:10 pm There's one to put one on my jobs list. Hope its not like the Liverpool/Leeds canal towpath :o
Ooooh do tell. I've only done a very rural little bit of the Leeds - Liverpool between foulridge and barnoldswick.
We started from Liverpool. Got dropped off there and it was for McMillan Cancer Support. Me and another couple of lads set it up and I think we raised about 8k altogether.

Probably our first ever organised charity bike ride and also the longest. One lad (Allen the PhD who'd ridden to Scotland in the snow and camped out is what I was told by my bro in law) came with his road type Surly of some sort. Think it was 28c tires and not sure how he managed it as some of the muddy sections were a bit horrible, slippery and felt like you was gonna fall into the canal. From Liverpool it's uphill all the way (well, at every lock it was).

Cut the trip into 2 and managed to get Mccure hotel (or whatever it's called) to sponsor us with cheap living halfway and food. I ate too much (naturally) as it was another 60 miles to Leeds. As you got closer to Leeds the path becomes more tarmac. At the end I had to lay down and rest my back - it was properly shafted and took a full 6 months to recover, as my seatpost had kept slipping on my Superlight. Learnt then that Token was a substandard maker of posts and the tolerances were rubbish - carbon at it's worst.

To make matters worse (for me) at anout halfwayy elder bro had his back starting to seize up. So I volunteered to carry his gear and pack until mine atarted to give way. At which point he grabbed his stuff and didn't bother much about me (like you do). He was probably glad that he'd almost made it and mayne cursing me inside for talking him into it.

We did the planks for months before and properly(ish) prepared for it and it was well worth the back seizing up. Especially since one of the lads had had input from McMillan months earlier for his now gone to God mum. I really should do it again and keep telling myself I will. But the muddy sections really have me double thinking as I can't be dping fallig into that canal :grin:
redefined_cycles

This chap explains it in better detail as I thought maybe it was just in my head (it obviously wasn't and I had reason to be concerned).

Link won't open for me and I can't find any of the blogs we made in prep for it and post ride. Will post if I do find though :smile:
redefined_cycles

Found em... My fiest ever charity fundraising page
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/shafiq-hussain

https://liverpool2leeds.wordpress.com/

The lad 3rd from the left also passed away in about 2017 from atomach cancer I believe. Allen is the second from the right with his Surly or whatnot. Amazing exp and lots of pics in the blog etc..