The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Post by Dave Barter »

Steve is definitely going for the hardcore approach, can't think why he did not push on to Lincoln for a motel stop just down the road from his current bivy?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sounds like it'll be a good year for stories :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blimey and they aren't at the bit that hits 11,000ft yet...
Only 3 official scratches so far - One of the British guys seemed to go off route to a bike shop on Day 1 then stopped yesterday. Broken bike plus crap weather? Must be gutting having gone all that way....

It does present a kit challenge if you want to travel fairly lightweight. Single figure temps and slashing rain in the north, desert sun in the south
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:47 am It does present a kit challenge if you want to travel fairly lightweight. Single figure temps and slashing rain in the north, desert sun in the south
You could start with more insulation and then post it home once you get past where it's needed? Within the rules. Obviously easier if you live in the US and not the cheapest option. They do say it's the most expensive free bike race you'll ever enter.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:53 am
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:47 am It does present a kit challenge if you want to travel fairly lightweight. Single figure temps and slashing rain in the north, desert sun in the south
You could start with more insulation and then post it home once you get past where it's needed? Within the rules. Obviously easier if you live in the US and not the cheapest option. They do say it's the most expensive free bike race you'll ever enter.
Easier and cheaper to send to a Post Office in the US "General Delivery" for collection after the race from the city you fly out of.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The Guardian reported that Yellowstone National Park is closed at all the main road entrances at the moment due to flooding, will that affect the TD? It looks like the route goes around the park rather than through it but I wasn't sure.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Josh and Manu going well in the pairs category...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:43 am Steve is definitely going for the hardcore approach, can't think why he did not push on to Lincoln for a motel stop just down the road from his current bivy?
Saw that - 4 straight bivvies so far, a true Boner :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:49 am
Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:43 am Steve is definitely going for the hardcore approach, can't think why he did not push on to Lincoln for a motel stop just down the road from his current bivy?
Saw that - 4 straight bivvies so far, a true Boner :-bd
From what I've seen of budget motels along the divide you're better off sleeping in a ditch and saving the $60 -100
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:05 am Just seen this on the FB group, looks like the weather is bad this year.

A message to all Tour Divide racers from the local Search and Rescue groups:-
There have been a number of rescues for Tour Divide racers in the Elkford - Fernie area in the last 72 hours. 6 in the course of today. Most have involved serious cases of hypothermia.
We would like to draw your attention to the challenges of the route from Fernie to the US border, which are potentially extreme with the current weather.
Fernie to the US border is typically 14-16 hours of riding. There is no food along the way. There is only one public shelter (Butts Cabin, about half way). The weather will be heavy precipitation for the next 24 hours, much of it snow at higher elevations. The risk of hypothermia is extreme and riders who are not sufficiently prepared are encouraged to delay this stage until the weather is more supportive.
Ride safe and enjoy!
Fernie Search and Rescue
Don't know if it's funded the same way as UK (doubt it :wink:) but you'd hope there would be some contributions and support from the race and riders for the SRT. IMO it's poor show creating more work and dragging the SRT out because some racers have chanced their arms with too little kit or poor choices whether to continue.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Looks like a particularly tough year, and 6 rescues in a day has got to be in the territory of the organisers re-routing or doing something/facilitate to stop people getting into that difficulty? Not really feeling the interest to follow the race this year for some reason, although it sounds good.

The discussion point about social media and outside assistance and Mike Hall's stance is an interesting one. I personally err on the side of it being a kind of support, but I guess it goes hand in hand with spot trackers and dot-watching, people expect to know where riders are, and other riders to see other riders if they want. I guess it's a purist's argument which has it's analogue in the world of road racing and team radio - it can affect race decision making in a way not really possible without it, and can anyone now imagine the TD and similar events without spot trackers? Dunno myself - posing the question seems an interesting point perhaps? :geek:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

faustus wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:54 am
The discussion point about social media and outside assistance and Mike Hall's stance is an interesting one. I personally err on the side of it being a kind of support, but I guess it goes hand in hand with spot trackers and dot-watching, people expect to know where riders are, and other riders to see other riders if they want. I guess it's a purist's argument which has it's analogue in the world of road racing and team radio - it can affect race decision making in a way not really possible without it, and can anyone now imagine the TD and similar events without spot trackers? Dunno myself - posing the question seems an interesting point perhaps? :geek:
I guess the trackers could all go through to one tracking website that could be monitored privately and the rest of us would just have to wait for stories to come from riders as and when
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A few pics from Steve :-bd

May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The third picture looks much more inviting than the first two.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Stu for them pics. Is SLARGE on Twitter? Solid work from him and the rest. Agree with Cheeky Monkey (tim?) about excessively relying on mt rescue but I suppose they would have gone prepared as much as they'd realised. Snow that's buried the car - bit extreme :o
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:48 pm Snow that's buried the car - bit extreme :o
Extreme for here sure, extreme for there not so much...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Bob. Never knew that...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

He should have put his mudguards on :grin:
I see he's still in his scratcher but looking at the weather tab, it's snowing!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Sofiane seems to update his Instagram story on a regular basis. Seems quite an upbeat fella with plenty of singing going on!

https://instagram.com/sofianeshl?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

With the sh!te conditions on this year's TD it's amazing that Sofiane Sehili is only 40 or so miles behind Mike Hall's record
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:28 pm With the sh!te conditions on this year's TD it's amazing that Sofiane Sehili is only 40 or so miles behind Mike Hall's record
Course is 80 miles shorter in New Mexico. Not sure how the record dot deals with that?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:15 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:28 pm With the sh!te conditions on this year's TD it's amazing that Sofiane Sehili is only 40 or so miles behind Mike Hall's record
Course is 80 miles shorter in New Mexico. Not sure how the record dot deals with that?
Well the record dot didn't go over Koko for starters. The route irrespective of fire reroutes is not the same as in 2016.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

.....irc Mike didn't get the record in 2013 because of fire reroutes which shortened the route.

It's all record BS really though, as the route evolves permanently over time.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

maybe someone could clarify as I’m not sure what the rules are on the Tour Divide as regards to being self supported, does being bailed out by the mountain rescue team not mean disqualification ?