The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Post by slarge »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:59 pm Steve a friend of mine Geof Blance is about to start his nobo (singlespeed). When you meet him call him a Kiwi test from me
Will I get punched Dave?
(Will do pal)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

slarge wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:19 am
Dave Barter wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:59 pm Steve a friend of mine Geof Blance is about to start his nobo (singlespeed). When you meet him call him a Kiwi test from me
Will I get punched Dave?
(Will do pal)
Yes if you call him a test no if you change it to tw@t. Bloody autocorrect
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:04 pm
This time, we’ve split them into two categories: drop-bar and flat-bar bikes. Find details on more than 50 flat-bar rigs here
Drop bars to follow i assume
You read the words and didn't just look at the pictures?! :oops:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Good luck Steve, I'll be watching your dot. :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Dyffers wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 am
Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:04 pm
This time, we’ve split them into two categories: drop-bar and flat-bar bikes. Find details on more than 50 flat-bar rigs here
Drop bars to follow i assume
You read the words and didn't just look at the pictures?! :oops:
I was wondering why Cutthroats were out of favour this year :lol:

So part two will be about 40% Salsa drop bar content then…
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Have a great time Steve.

Say hi to Jim and Chris from me if you see them. :)
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not losing that are you ...

May the bridges you burn light your way
faustus

Post by faustus »

Think it might be more than 40% salsa as there's a fair few fargo's with the cutthroats too. The purple custom bike at the head of the page is nice, but this English Cycles one is very nice:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Loving the dangly nads and game of solitaire on the handlebars of the single speed
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Best of luck Steve! Always like seeing the pics of the packed bikes, such a range of stuff - first time I've seen an OO/PX bike in this way (I think)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good luck Steve
That guy on the 'Dirt Research' bike does appear to be taking his mutt with him :???:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Not losing that are you
Doubt you could persuade anyone to steal it either

I always like the difference in kit - some seem to take absolutely loads with them - i assume some do it more as tour ?
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:39 pm Not losing that are you ...
I like the portage handle. really neat.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I saw that Zoé Chauderlot posted in frustration on here Instagram this morning that here start time had been changed from a group with a similar projected pace to to an all female group. WTF?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:11 am I saw that Zoé Chauderlot posted in frustration on here Instagram this morning that here start time had been changed from a group with a similar projected pace to to an all female group. WTF?
Her dot will be a great one to watch, possibly big things. I raced with Zoe in 2019 and she beat me by 2 hours (so she must be vaguely exciting) but had lots of issues on the way down. If she has a good run she'll be hard to beat.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:35 am
woodsmith wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:11 am I saw that Zoé Chauderlot posted in frustration on here Instagram this morning that here start time had been changed from a group with a similar projected pace to to an all female group. WTF?
Her dot will be a great one to watch, possibly big things. I raced with Zoe in 2019 and she beat me by 2 hours (so she must be vaguely exciting) but had lots of issues on the way down. If she has a good run she'll be hard to beat.
Yes. She's super cool. I met her in South Pass City when I was hiking the Great Divide. She was so nice, excited and flabergasted. " I'm number 2 in the women's race. I've never been in a bicycle race before"

https://www.instagram.com/zchauderlot/
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Does it particularly matter? Will it be a potential impediment to her race? I thought it was ITT so am confused but interested to understand :cool:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

presumably not leaving at the same time means not experiencing the same weather and possibly facing more worn and used tracks - especially an issue if there is rain
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:21 pm
Does it particularly matter? Will it be a potential impediment to her race? I thought it was ITT so am confused but interested to understand :cool:
Discrimination isn’t it
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I saw on Instagram that Peta McSharry is riding and she is a strong rider if in good shape. She is South African by birth but spent many years in London. For the last couple of years she has been in Switzerland. A strong climber as well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does it particularly matter? Will it be a potential impediment to her race? I thought it was ITT so am confused but interested to understand
Given the increase in 'woman' only' rides, events etc somebody probably thought they were doing the right thing ... my advice, never try and do the 'right' thing as it will inherently be wrong and you'll end up wondering why you ever bothered. :wink:
presumably not leaving at the same time means not experiencing the same weather and possibly facing more worn and used tracks - especially an issue if there is rain
I thought they were leaving in waves over the course of a few hours, not days? Surely over that distance it will matter very little?
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Why are they starting in waves this year? Has something happened to prompt this?

I've seen bits on FB about making sure they start in the correct wave/at the right time, bits of paper under doors with alternative instructions which they've been told to ignore?

Is the change to the start a condition of holding it still after the problems with the bear before the start of the race previously or a covid thing I wonder?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:43 pm presumably not leaving at the same time means not experiencing the same weather and possibly facing more worn and used tracks - especially an issue if there is rain
Forgive me but that sounds a bit "contrived" (I'm struggling for a better word, don't shoot me). Don't they all leave on the same day ( so what, over a few hours?) at 10 minute intervals? By the time they're on the race I'd not imagine the sort of issues you describe would be significant and besides the field of people will redistribute due to all sorts of factors (stops, too fast a pace, blah blah) that it'll significantly re-distribute, generally irrespective of starting group, from fairly early on?

I'm struggling to tell if the discrimination comment is lighthearted :cool: If you think so I wonder why? A mass female start might be thought to have some positives to show a goodly number clearly taking part in a classic endurance challenge. Dunno. Maybe I should go onto IG (shudder) and see why she was upset?

Honestly interested :cool:

{EDIT - sorry, drafted that and then got a call and see others have made / asked some of the same stuff}
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I believe the park authorities requested it