Simple pretty light cargo cages

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulE

Simple pretty light cargo cages

Post by PaulE »

Had a rare free lesson in the workshop (my engineering group were in an exam) so decided to make some cargo holders for the 3 bolt mounts on my new stooge dirtbomb.

Started with a 190mm length of drainpipe, split down its length and then rounded off the corners. Made 2 reinforcement strips from 1.5mm aluminium and drilled for the 3 bolt holes. Drilled the plastic semicircular bits using the strips as templates. Cut slots into the fork side of the plastic between the bolt holes to locate a strap.

54g each, and about 50 minutes work including scrounging materials from the skip, making a brew and tidying up...Image
Planning to attach an air mattress to one side and a small drybag with my brew kit or very light hammock to the other, so not massive weights involved - hopefully give them a test in the morning.
slarge

Re: Simple pretty light cargo cages

Post by slarge »

Nice

If you extend the ally strip down and put a right angle bend on, then you'll have a stopper to prevent things sliding downwards. You probably thought of that though...
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Thanks. I'd kind of thought of that, but then decided to try them plain first as I didn't have time to bend and heat treat before someone else needed the workshop! Was also wondering about using plastic acoss the bottom of the half tube for the same purpose. It's definitely in mk2 if needed, along with cutouts for weight saving
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good work.

I just thought you could maybe drill two small holes and run something like a thin dyneema cord between them across the bottom? Stop anything falling through and help keep the sides from splaying ... not that they've any reason to.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Nice idea, thanks!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I like them, but my forks don't have bosses not on my to do list but if I did..i'd add lightening holes in everything. Campagnolo 1970's style .
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..