650B Gravel tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

650B Gravel tyres

Post by sean_iow »

I've been riding with Bearlegged twice in the last week and took the 'gravel' bike as he was also on drop bars - even wore a check shirt on one trip for full effect :grin:

First trip the tyres gradually got softer, thought it might be lack of sealant as the bike hasn't been used in a while.

Swapped the tyres onto different wheels yesterday, topped up the sealant and the front and back took it in turns to spray me with sealant :roll: The currently tyres are WTB Resolute 650Bx42. They've always been prone to punctures so thinking I'd like something else. The frame will probably not take a much wider tyre so 42 is about the max but happy to go a bit narrower and doesn't have to be as aggressive as a Resolute.

I can't seem to find 640B tyres that narrow, any suggestions? I'm sort of tied in to 650B as I don't have any 700 wheels that will go up tubeless.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Re: 650B Gravel tyres

Post by GregMay »

I've WTB Byways...they are a nice fat road tyre. I'd not call them gravel in the true sense, but they've been fine in the dry/tacky weather.

What about some of the Schwalbe G whatever ones? Supposed to be quite decent.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd forgotten about Schwalbe. The G One All-round looks like what I'm after, more road bias but that's where I ride the bike most of the time, good call :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
faustus

Post by faustus »

Just happened to see these whilst browsing last night, folding bead but not tubeless ready, but may work none the less. Just the right size though..tread is a bit weird but might work?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPAFRG/f ... lding-tyre
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

GregMay wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:11 pm I've WTB Byways...they are a nice fat road tyre. I'd not call them gravel in the true sense, but they've been fine in the dry/tacky weather.
I have the same, one puncture in a years worth of riding (that’s with tubes rather than tubeless setup) riding roads/forests/bridleways etc

Not sure if they come in the 42mm size though?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I don't think they do, but have never bothered to look!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:35 pm I'd forgotten about Schwalbe. The G One All-round looks like what I'm after, more road bias but that's where I ride the bike most of the time, good call :-bd
I have these 40mmx 700 on my ‘comfy road bike’
Great All-Round tyre (go figure!)
Fast on the road and surprisingly capable off road too - just not in wetter/muddier conditions where they become somewhat unpredictable. I tend to switch to G-One Ultrabite in winter, more knobs but still good on tarmac.

My gripe with both is that, for the price, they don’t last very long. They main contact patch, especially on the rear wears down faster than I’d like. But, as they as very light and very grippy I’m not complaining too much.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Rene Herse do the Pumpkin Ridge knobbly in 650x42 if you're happy spending and eye watering amount on your tyres.

Planet x Fatty Rumpkin in 41mm is way cheaper and a bit mad.

Spesh Sawtooth came in a 650 x 42 but not sure they sell them anymore.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

The Sawtooth was a great tyre, I’d forgotten about it.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Having tried Resolutes, Senderos, Teravail Cannonballs, and G-One All-Rounds, I reckon the Schwalbe would suit your use case the best.